Strap on bike rack on the ZSEV?

Spacecadet Cat

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi everyone

Does anyone happen to have any experience using a strap-on bike rack on the back of a ZSEV facelift? My rack has just arrived, my car has not (due "early April") and the image on the box indicated "no spoilers" (though the SUV mount image seems to have a little lip above the rear windscreen). Would a rack be usable on the ZSEV Excite model (no roof rails)? The rear spoiler looks like it has the brakelight in it, so would that imply it be sturdy enough to hold it? Is the spoiler on the back plastic or metal? From the manual, it looks like the rack uses hooks in the car seams rather than strap-wrapping the boot: http://buzzrack.com/website/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/INSTRUCTION-MANUAL-COLIBRI-2016-04-28.pdf

This is the rack: Buzzrack Colibri 1 Bike Trunk Carrier

This is the bike: Malvern Star | Wisp Lite Women’s Heritage Bike its light, but I can't find a weight (and mine no longer has the basket.

The car will be a novated lease, so not really willing to wait and just test the thing in case it breaks the spoiler, at least not until I have some more definitive answers. The return window on the rack is 30 days so that is also a factor. I'd be putting fabric between the rack and the car to avoid scratches on the paint contact points

The bike rack is mostly for taking the bike for repairs and such, but I may occasionally need to pick it up from work or take it on longer drives, but not enough to justfy $900 for a towbar and $XXX for a hitch mount. Bike is a longer model and only just fits into a Prius with the seats dropped, so not sure how it'll go trying to just stuff it in the back of the ZSEV.

Turns out cost of returning will be more than half of what the rack cost anyway, so not sure its worth it! (bulk item interstate package).

Last edited:
Cant comment re the ZS - Although having had many bike racks on different cars I would expect the rack to be able to be tighten to be held securely - However, I would have thought that on the Odd occasion you could easily fit the bike into he car - back seats down - Maybe even with the front wheel turned up to ceiling to enable it to be fully fitted in ?
I put my road bikes into my 4 with the back seats down ..

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom