Struggling Aircon

Adee

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Is anyone else finding that the MG5 aircon is struggling a bit? I know these are some of the hottest days on record but even on full fan setting, the air-conditioning is taking 10mins to get the car cool enough to be bearable.

I also drive a nearly new ICE car (work vehicle) with good aircon which I would say produces much cooler air and cools the car very quickly. I am just wondering whether I should ask to have the MG5 tested at an MG5 dealer, the nearest of which is 20miles away, or maybe it's not worth the effort if others are finding the same. Maybe electric cars have less powerful air-cons to conserve battery - I have already noticed (as have others) that the air-con makes little difference to the consumption.

Mines pretty cold and can cool the car within a few minutes.
Just make sure your not in eco mode as it cuts the aircon right down.
I will admit that it’s not as cold as my Merc E class. (Which you can’t hold your hand near the vent for to long on full chat it’s so cold!)

Upvote 0
As a matter of interest, is that in Auto climate mode ?
If you put recirc on it should cool faster as it's not drawing in hot air from outside.
Also as said above make sure you're not in Eco driving mode.
If the Auto climate mode isn't quick enough, I'd try tuning Auto off and set the temp and fan manually with the vents set to face and feet.
Also make sure the ECON button is not lit and the AC cooling button is on and lit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mines pretty cold and can cool the car within a few minutes.
Just make sure your not in eco mode as it cuts the aircon right down.
I will admit that it’s not as cold as my Merc E class. (Which you can’t hold your hand near the vent for to long on full chat it’s so cold!)
Thanks for that Severnless.
I'll double-check the Eco mode when I'm next out (the backlight is so dim, you have to cup your hands around it to see if it is on or not!!). I would say the air coming out is significantly warmer than the other car I drive (but cooler than ambient, obviously). Maybe I'll just log it with the supplying dealer for the time being. Air-con is pretty subjective!

Upvote 0
As a matter of interest, is that in Auto climate mode ?
If you put recirc on it should cool faster as it's not drawing in hot air from outside.
Also as said above make sure you're not in Eco driving mode.
If the Auto climate mode isn't quick enough, I'd try tuning Auto off and set the temp and fan manually with the vents set to face and feet.
I'm the tight-wad that bought the Excite version. No climate mode :-(.
But I have tried the manual recirc mode and just about everything else that might affect it. It'll get there - just takes a while.

BTW, the "face vents" are a bit naff, I find. The side-to-side adjustment turns them on/off. This is ridiculous as you probably want the r.h. vent pointing left so that the sweat created by too many traffic-light take-offs gets evaporated. But it actually turns off the vent. So the right-hand vent only cools the drivers side window. Similarly for the other vents. If the driver wants a direct flow of cold (or hot) air, it is best provided by the passenger-side central vent which isn't exactly the closest. Maybe I should just be more relaxed?

Upvote 0
Actually chaps I just re-read and misunderstood that you said "Eco" mode - not Econ. I always drive in Eco mode! So I'll try that and report back!! Many thanks.

Upvote 0
I wonder what 'Sport' mode for the A/C does?? Just colder than 'Normal'?

Screenshot 2021-07-22 at 11.41.39.png

Upvote 0
maybe in sport mode it cools the battery more, to be able to give more performance from the car

Upvote 0
If the 5 is anything like the ZS the cool air is not the coldest or best I’ve experienced. It does the job though - just not as cold as other cars i have experienced. Interested point about sport mode possibly beefing up aircon performance - worth a Try.

Upvote 0
I took my ZS back for a compressor test and discovered on delivery the gas pressure was down 30%. Made a huge difference and suspect many are somewhat decompressed sitting around off the boat. Personally i also suspect many budget busting measures to get that Chinese price point will be to install components to the absolute minimum spec. I would say the ZS air con after regasing and indeed in the new HS has to work hard on full fan to keep a decent low temp to fill the volume of the car.

Upvote 0
can I suggest reporting as a problem, it might be because the XenForo platform has a reaction manager and the feature was not turned on for your user account. I also spotted you don’t have the bookmark icon.

Upvote 0
can I suggest reporting as a problem, it might be because the XenForo platform has a reaction manager and the feature was not turned on for your user account. I also spotted you don’t have the bookmark icon.
Thanks, I may well do that. Wonder if I can change something in my settings/preferences?

Upvote 0
How do you react to a post, thumbs up etc? I can’t see anything to press?…or am I just being really thick…?🤔
I didn't have the reactions initially - might have got them once I'd made more posts. I notice I'm a 'Standard Member' and you're a 'Novice Member'? Possible that different features/abilities appear at different member tiers 🤷‍♂️

Found something here.

Upvote 0
I didn't have the reactions initially - might have got them once I'd made more posts. I notice I'm a 'Standard Member' and you're a 'Novice Member'? Possible that different features/abilities appear at different member tiers 🤷‍♂️

Found something here.
Well discovered that man 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻 👍🏻 So it will come in time.

Upvote 0
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom