Stupid Setting?

drmcw

Established Member
Solutions
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Went to go to work this morning so wanted to defrost the windscreen using the app. Failed as battery was too low. It was at 29% so had to get in the car and wait for it to defrost. I presume you can't defrost the car when the battery SOC is below ~30%? How ridiculous is that?

Went to go to work this morning so wanted to defrost the windscreen using the app. Failed as battery was too low. It was at 29% so had to get in the car and wait for it to defrost. I presume you can't defrost the car when the battery SOC is below ~30%? How ridiculous is that?
I use the front windscreen demist button. Sounds like your own personal hurricane in the car, but does the job really quickly and gives warm air within a minute or so. i don't think it relies on the HV battery, just the 12v one.

I use the front windscreen demist button. Sounds like your own personal hurricane in the car, but does the job really quickly and gives warm air within a minute or so. i don't think it relies on the HV battery, just the 12v one.
It uses the HV battery to heat the air and the 12v for the fan.

It uses the HV battery to heat the air and the 12v for the fan.
It does seem to be fairly frugal on the HV battery though.
I was playing with it and kept an eye on the amps drawn on the HV battery.
I was quite impressed how little the draw was for the effective heat given.
The noise though was deafening, and I'm going deaf in my old age!
It is a pity that the volume of air, i.e. the fan speed, cannot be controlled.
Well I couldn't work out how to reduce the fan speed!

I find by using the A/C button on the App ( just to the right of the central locking button ) it does a pretty good job of defrosting / preheating the cabin of the car.
It uses a pretty high air flow speed setting combined with hot air via every single vent.
It blows hot air out of vents for the front wind screen / both front foot wells / both side ball vents ( if you have them pointed at the side windows ) and the centre dash vent.
From the App it will give you preheat session for 10 minutes before timing out.
You will have to send the car a second command, if you want another 10 minute session of defrost / preheat.
When entering the car and putting the car in READY mode, by manually pushing down on the heated rear window switch ( below the info unit ) it will quickly defrost both the rear wind screen and both door mirrors ( if you have the option ).

I find by using the A/C button on the App ( just to the right of the central locking button ) it does a pretty good job of defrosting / preheating the cabin of the car.
It uses a pretty high air flow speed setting combined with hot air via every single vent.
It blows hot air out of vents for the front wind screen / both front foot wells / both side ball vents ( if you have them pointed at the side windows ) and the centre dash vent.
From the App it will give you preheat session for 10 minutes before timing out.
You will have to send the car a second command, if you want another 10 minute session of defrost / preheat.
When entering the car and putting the car in READY mode, by manually pushing down on the heated rear window switch ( below the info unit ) it will quickly defrost both the rear wind screen and both door mirrors ( if you have the option ).
Yes as long as you have at least 30% SOC though, which considering 10 minutes of heat won't even lose you 1% is daft.

Yes as long as you have at least 30% SOC though, which considering 10 minutes of heat won't even lose you 1% is daft.
TBH - I have never tried pre heating the car at that low state of SOC as this does not leave you with a lot of range left to get you very far in distance, in these poor weather conditions.
Is this the reason why they have set it up, to be that way ?.

TBH - I have never tried pre heating the car at that low state of SOC as this does not leave you with a lot of range left to get you very far in distance, in these poor weather conditions.
Is this the reason why they have set it up, to be that way ?.
5 miles left would be low but 50! The low battery warnings in this car come on way too early for my liking. Definitely wasted time and probably energy as well. Instead of opening the door once and driving off, I had to open the door multiple times to help scrape off ice to try and hurry the defrost up.

I'm seeing 20 amps at 350 V so would assume it's around that level?
I don't know if the Gen 2 is the same, but on the Gen 1, the Amps shown bounces up and down between whatever the figure shown is and 0, so it's actually a lot less when it averages out. ISTR someone saying it worked out at 4 to 5kW on max. FWIW once it reaches temperature and/or if you turn the heat down the Amps used and hence the kWh used, drops dramatically.

I don't know if the Gen 2 is the same, but on the Gen 1, the Amps shown bounces up and down between whatever the figure shown is and 0, so it's actually a lot less when it averages out. ISTR someone saying it worked out at 4 to 5kW on max. FWIW once it reaches temperature and/or if you turn the heat down the Amps used and hence the kWh used, drops dramatically.
20 amps is about the average. Yeah I realise that; that is presumably the reason the panic brigade fail to use heating as they see a drop in GOM range without understanding that the power draw will lessen once it's at temperature and that the G stands for Guess!

I'd be shocked if it was more than 5kw. Maybe explains why the efficiency is so dire in winter.

That's the equivalent of having three and half oil filled radiators in the car.

It depends on the car. Tesla Model S uses about 6kW and the Model 3 uses about 3 kW. But of course, that is going full out. In most cases, once the car is warm the heater would throttle back to a much lower draw. This is why preheating the car while it is still plugged in is effective.

It is effective heating while plugged in, but bear in mind, if you’ve planned a cheaper off peak charge and then pre-heat in the morning it will draw from your charger at whatever your peak is.

It is effective heating while plugged in, but bear in mind, if you’ve planned a cheaper off peak charge and then pre-heat in the morning it will draw from your charger at whatever your peak is.
I guess you can't have the best of both worlds, "you pay your money and you take your choice" as they say. ;)

Yes. I suppose you can argue that if it’s not plugged in you’re using the cheap juice that got off peak.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom