Successful trip to Belgium

lebelinconnu

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I have just returned from a very successful trip to Belgium. The car was an absolute joy- so comfortable, and we managed to fit everything in the boot, including my disabled daughter’s portable bedroom which we had to take with us. If anyone is interested in some charging info please read on!
Left home (near Wells, Somerset) with 100%. Stopped to charge at Cobham services on M25- 35% remaining on battery. Can’t recall exact distance- when I just looked it up it said 120 miles, but we had to take a detour as the M3 was closed between junctions 3 and 2. Successful charge with Ionity to 85%. Lucky we got there when we did, as all chargers were occupied and shortly after we arrived five other EVs turned up! We arrived at Veurne in Belgium (a trip of 250 miles in total) with about 40% battery. There was a bank of Ionity chargers about 2 miles from where we were staying and I charged there successfully 3 times using the Bonnet app. I had a slight issue on the last occasion, as the charger wouldn’t work and I had the dreaded HV battery cut off, but no need to disconnect the 12v battery as I left it for five mins and then all was back to normal, and the next charger along worked fine. On the way back (after charging to 85%) we made it to Fleet services on the M3 with 24% battery remaining- 150 miles or so from our starting point in Belgium. Successful charge on Gridserve there (again 85%) and arrived home (another 100 miles or so) with 49%. I was averaging 55/ 60 on the motorway as there was some slower traffic in places, and managed to return 4.3 m/kW on the return journey, which I was really pleased with as aircon was on and we were fully laden. Belgium was great for chargers as all public car parks seemed to have fast chargers, and rapid chargers also seemed to be quite frequently available. Hope this reassures any newer owners planning a longer trip!

Interested in the Bonnet app experience. Are you PAYG or a monthly subscriber? Was there a good range of places to use the Bonnet and what is the coverage like in UK? From my brief look at the Bath area, where I live, it is very low.

I am just PAYG. To be honest it was the first option that came up when I googled Ionity charging app. Having said that, it also worked with the Ionity chargers in Belgium and was extremely easy to use.

Good info thanks, Is yours standard or long range, struggling to work it out from your figures :)

Thanks for the report. I will be doing Europe at some point.

Just back in Berkshire from a week at the Edinburgh Fringe. Enjoyed the drive (only about my second where I've needed to use public chargers) and the charging experience wasn't too bad, though I did have my fair share of broken ones and a "shortage" in places (i.e. a queue). All planned for though so no complaints here. I think my fuel costs are a little over £37 for best part of 1000 miles, which I'm sure someone will have bettered but I think is pretty good. That was with aircon on Auto all the time, and trundling along a a fairly steady 65 mph (except the rather long traffic jams on the way up there!) - I forgot to look at the end but it was 3.9 miles/kWh last time I looked.

What was your total mileage and how much did you spend on chargers?
I did approx 700 miles and charging costs were £39.61- but I am yet to be billed for the Gridserve charge I did on the way home. I will update when that one comes through.

Thanks for the report. I will be doing Europe at some point.

Just back in Berkshire from a week at the Edinburgh Fringe. Enjoyed the drive (only about my second where I've needed to use public chargers) and the charging experience wasn't too bad, though I did have my fair share of broken ones and a "shortage" in places (i.e. a queue). All planned for though so no complaints here. I think my fuel costs are a little over £37 for best part of 1000 miles, which I'm sure someone will have bettered but I think is pretty good. That was with aircon on Auto all the time, and trundling along a a fairly steady 65 mph (except the rather long traffic jams on the way up there!) - I forgot to look at the end but it was 3.9 miles/kWh last time I looked.
That's excellent. 3.7p/mile. If we did 1k in wife's Mini Cooper at 20p/m that'd be £200 gone.

That is good the miles done and a lot cheaper then petrol or diesel

I'm reading this in a hotel bed in Lyon, having driven from near Barcelona yesterday. 4 charge stops (one Iberdrola, one ionity, two Teslas).
Today will be Tesla, Ionity, Tesla - ending in Saint Quentin, about 350 miles.
I'll post my own full experience when I get home to Reading on Monday evening.

I'm reading this in a hotel bed in Lyon, having driven from near Barcelona yesterday. 4 charge stops (one Iberdrola, one ionity, two Teslas).
Today will be Tesla, Ionity, Tesla - ending in Saint Quentin, about 350 miles.
I'll post my own full experience when I get home to Reading on Monday evening.
Just out for a little drive are you ?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom