Sudden Stop - Ongoing

newforest21

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
Following my post of May 27 - my ZS EV came to a sudden, shuddering stop on that day - which interestingly elliced no comments from the Forum.
Now over three weeks later the car is still in the dealerships workshop!
The combined brains of the dealerships technicians and those of MG (who have been in direct contact with them) have so far been unable to say why the car stopped.
In fact the car was due to be test driven on June 8th but would not engage 'drive' so the car coud not be released.
As far as I am aware the car is still being checked.
There is seemingly no great concern on the part of the dealership or indeed MG about this problem. MG are quoting legalise reasons and strings of meaningless acronyms. Surely I cannot have been the only owner to experince this situation.
In all conscience I could not bring myself to drive this car again - so far no one can say why it happened and that it could not happen again - and if it had happened on a motorway . . .
I am no longer the owner of this car. Hopefully, when this car is sold on through the dealer, which it surely will be, some thought to possible consequences will be given but I am not hopeful.
The electric car experince for me has been an extremely expensive one and one I will not repeat.
It's been interesting!!

You don't say how old the car is but I'd say it was not fit for purpose and that you are entitled to a replacement like for like.

Has this happened to anyone - any thoughts on the problem?
Very sorry that happened to you but I think the fact that you didn't get any replies was the answer. No one else has experienced that or knows what caused it. Hopefully no one will experience that again and is worth bearing in mind before writing EV's off in general especially with fuel prices the way they are and 2030 ever looming!

How did the decision to sell come about? Were you pressured by the dealer?

There was no pressure to sell from the dealership only indifference. The decision was entirely my own and my families. The thought of the situation occuring again with the family in the car and on a local motorway didn't bare thinking about.
Just to confirm the car will not be 12 months old until the end of this month.

My thinking would be a dodgy start button.
Does anyone know what happens if you press the start button (i.e. turn the car off) whilst driving ?

And DON'T press the power button before the car is FULLY stopped.

I was in a hurry the other day so when i was almost stopped, i pressed the button and the car made a horrible sound, as it locked the wheels and stopped the car fully, very abruptly.

I was only doing a mile or 2, but i found out, that you do NOT touch the button before the car is FULLY stopped :)

The power button is not the problem.
Whatever the cause it is still baffling the best brains at the dealership and MG - as of this afternoon the car is still in the workshop, now three and a half weeks and counting . . . .

This isn't goiing to be a diagnosis of the problem but I was intrigued by the use of the word 'shuddering' and the 'anti collision reference'. My car recently attempted to bring me to a stop when the collision avoidance kicked in because it thought I was going to prang the car in front. That braking manouvre by the car was a shuddering stop. I got a similar low speed shuddering when I attempted to drive off without my seat belt engaged. The car wouldn't let me. I wonder what happens if the drivers seat belt is released when travelling at speed?

This isn't goiing to be a diagnosis of the problem but I was intrigued by the use of the word 'shuddering' and the 'anti collision reference'. My car recently attempted to bring me to a stop when the collision avoidance kicked in because it thought I was going to prang the car in front. That braking manouvre by the car was a shuddering stop. I got a similar low speed shuddering when I attempted to drive off without my seat belt engaged. The car wouldn't let me. I wonder what happens if the drivers seat belt is released when travelling at speed?
All I get is the bong from the car and the seat belt light flashing, you can still drive it.

The ZS EV does have anti collision but this was not activated - no vehicles ahead or to the side when the sudden stop occured - and no lights or warnings appeared on the dash relating to collision - only the motor fault warning.
The car does have a seat belt facility so if one tries to drive off without the seat belt fastened it won't - although I have to say from experience this doesn't always work and it will sometimes drive with no seatbelt fastened.

If your seatbelt isn’t on it just doesn’t automatically release the handbrake and take you have to manually disengage it, sounds like you tried to pull away with the handbrake on (I know cos I have done it too :LOL:)

Turn off Auto hold and you can drive with the seat belts off, door open or whatever you like.

The car does have a seat belt facility so if one tries to drive off without the seat belt fastened it won't - although I have to say from experience this doesn't always work and it will sometimes drive with no seatbelt fastened.
Eh? Mine allows this every time I drive it? Bongs upto around 6mph then shuts up again below 6mph etc etc

An update on the 'sudden stop' situation from the dealership - 'The vehicle is still in our workshop, but the fault has now been diagnosed. Once the part arrives it will have a new Power electric Box which controls power for the hi voltage battery to the motor'.
This has so far taken four and half weeks plus however long the part now takes to arrive.
Can only imagine this is not a common fault (a one off?) so the lack of input/comment from MG direct is a little worrying.

An update on the 'sudden stop' situation from the dealership - 'The vehicle is still in our workshop, but the fault has now been diagnosed. Once the part arrives it will have a new Power electric Box which controls power for the hi voltage battery to the motor'.
This has so far taken four and half weeks plus however long the part now takes to arrive.
Can only imagine this is not a common fault (a one off?) so the lack of input/comment from MG direct is a little worrying.
Is your quote 'word for word' or paraphrased?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom