Sun Glasses Holder

Kazza

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Anyone now if you can install sunglasses holder from AliExpress onto drivers side empty grab handle ?
1622268333078.png

I've done it, I'll take some pics and show you all the one I got that fits perfectly and where you can get one. It's cheap too!

Caveat:
Whilst you can do this, there's no mounting hardware or metalwork at all behind the drivers blank indent as you might have expected, so it seems SAIC/MG are using different metalwork in the roof for left and right hand drive cars!, as a result you have to mount through the headlining alone using large (40mm) washers to spread the load on the headlining, this works perfectly fine for the right holder, which also has to be slightly modified to mount it. There is also a curtain airbag close by, so your mounting bolts have to be exactly the right length to not interfere with the deployment of this! It's also a real b**ch to mount it without dropping the headlining or creasing it as you squeeze fingers, washers, nuts, & spanner up in the gap between the lining and curtain airbag through the thin gap available after dropping the door seal.

You better be really competent, dexterous, & determined if you still want to do this one... lol!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've done it, I'll take some pics and show you all the one I got that fits perfectly and where you can get one. It's cheap too!

Caveat:
Whilst you can do this, it isn't at all straightforward, there's no mounting hardware or metalwork at all behind the drivers blank indent as you might have expected, it seems SAIC/MG are using different metalwork in the roof for left and right hand drive cars!, so you have to mount through the headlining alone using large (40mm) washers to spread the load on the headlining, this works perfectly fine for the right holder, which also has to be slightly modified to mount it. There is also a curtain airbag close by, so your mounting bolts have to be exactly the right length to not interfere with the deployment of this! It's also a real b**ch to mount it without dropping the headlining or creasing it as you squeeze fingers, washers, nuts, & spanner up in the gap between the lining and curtain airbag through the thin gap available after dropping the door seal.

You better be really competent, dexterous, & determined if you still want to do this one... lol!!
Would be really nice if you could take some pics for us. A little anxious about the airbags 😬

Upvote 0
OK, Here we go...

This is what you need to buy, it's exactly the right size.

Buy the grey version as it matches the MG headlining.

I don't have any more pics of when I did this, but you'll get how to do it from the description and the finished pics, if you don't, then you shouldn't be doing this job anyway (no disrespect, but don't do this unless you're very OK with this sort of work on cars, risk of creasing the headlining, buggering up the airbag etc!)

Once you get the holder, you need to cut off the lugs at the rear of the mounting brackets (used for mounting on the original BMW fitment) so the rear of the mounts is just flush, then drill M6 holes in the centres like I have in the pics.

Using masking tape on the headlining, offer up and mark out the 2 hole positions.

By hand only, (I mean in your hand! do not use a drill!) with a 6mm drill bit, just turn it through the headlining carefully to open out the 2 holes, gently, it takes no effort at all, and through just enough to clear the headlining.

Pull down the seal between the frame and headlining to gain (limited, tight!) access.

Mount the holder using 12mm long, dome head, M6 bolts, with M6 x M40 penny washers and M6 nylock nuts to the rear of the headlining. This can all be done through the gap with the seal pulled down, by very gently easing down the side of the headlining, note, you will crease it if you pull it down more than a very little!!. You need to work by sliding your fingers up through the small gap, placing the washers over the bolt ends and starting the nuts whilst holding the holder bolts in place with the other hand on the inside. Then slide a 10mm open ended slim spanner to hold the nuts whilst running up the bolts with allen key until tight.

Done! carefully reseat the seal back in the gap and admire your holder.

Pics:

20210531_172010.jpg

20210531_133515.jpg
20210531_133509.jpg
20210531_133434.jpg

The holder is only mounted through the headlining material, hence the 40mm washers to spread the load, but works perfectly well for the glasses holder. Obviously, you can't use this method to fit an additional pull handle as it won't be load bearing!! ( just in case, there's always one...)

To reiterate, although a very simple job, it is very awkward to work through the gap behind the liner with it in still in place, only do this if you have the right type of dexterity, at your own risk and all that. Be careful not to damage or disturb the folded curtain airbag in any way as you're close to it. You could drop the lining to allow easy access, but that's prohibitively involved.

If you are mad enough to do this, enjoy... :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OK, Here we go...

This is what you need to buy, it's exactly the right size.

Buy the grey version as it matches the MG headlining.

I don't have any more pics of when I did this, but you'll get how to do it from the description and the finished pics, if you don't, then you shouldn't be doing this job anyway (no disrespect, but don't do this unless you're very OK with this sort of work on cars, risk of creasing the headlining, buggering up the airbag etc!)

Once you get the holder, you need to cut off the lugs at the rear of the mounting brackets (used for mounting on the original BMW fitment) so the rear of the mounts is just flush, then drill M6 holes in the centres like I have in the pics.

Using masking tape on the headlining, offer up and mark out the 2 hole positions.

By hand only, (I mean in your hand! do not use a drill!) with a 6mm drill bit, just turn it through the headlining carefully to open out the 2 holes, gently, it takes no effort at all, and through just enough to clear the headlining.

Pull down the seal between the frame and headlining to gain (limited, tight!) access.

Mount the holder using 12mm long, dome head, M6 bolts, with M6 x M40 penny washers and M6 nylock nuts to the rear of the headlining. This can all be done through the gap with the seal pulled down, by very gently easing down the side of the headlining, note, you will crease it if you pull it down more than a very little!!. You need to work by sliding your fingers up through the small gap, placing the washers over the bolt ends and starting the nuts whilst holding the holder bolts in place with the other hand on the inside. Then slide a 10mm open ended slim spanner to hold the nuts whilst running up the bolts with allen key until tight.

Done! carefully reseat the seal back in the gap and admire your holder.

Pics:

View attachment 3397

View attachment 3398View attachment 3400View attachment 3399

The holder is only mounted through the headlining material, hence the 40mm washers to spread the load, but works perfectly well for the glasses holder. Obviously, you can't use this method to fit an additional pull handle as it won't be load bearing!! ( just in case, there's always one...)

To reiterate, although a very simple job, it is very awkward to work through the gap behind the liner with it in still in place, only do this if you have the right type of dexterity, at your own risk and all that. Be careful not to damage or disturb the folded curtain airbag in any way as you're close to it. You could drop the lining to allow easy access, but that's prohibitively involved.

If you are mad enough to do this, enjoy... :)
Awesome guide. Thank you!

Upvote 0
Thank you so much Kazza, it helped, and I can confirm the grey match the trim colour perfectly. On mine I tapped M6 threads in the plastic covers and as of now it feels stable.
IMG-20210610-WA0060.jpg
IMG-20210610-WA0061.jpg

Upvote 0
Hi just seen this did mine about 2 months back but forgot to post it I got my case from the scrapyard out of a 2006 Vauxhall Corsa Astra also use the same case total cost £1:50 now there is nothing to fasten in to only the roof liner which is also quite thin I didn’t pull this down or anything to fasten the case to it I used to cavity wall plugs and two short self tappers as it is carrying no weight at all

( Now I have to admit I knew nothing about any air bags or I might not have tried to do this but I did poke my finger and shine my touch in the hole before I fitted the cavity plugs in and could not see or feel anything up there maybe I was lucky but I had no problems )

But it is a word of warning to be very careful if you do this mod but it is worth doing sunglasses 28FBFE77-8136-4780-9D65-9D4F5D104C44.jpegD10A94C7-BC62-4359-BDE4-24E992E7500A.jpeg59C73CEE-02FD-40FA-8831-B325C9FFFA5A.jpeg63AD4BA9-60C7-4980-964B-193756C23FF6.jpeg975C2599-D5DE-4974-9F0A-1FFABEB81280.jpegvery handy and easy to find when needed and only £1:50p why it’s not standard is beyond me.
Les

Upvote 0
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom