Sunroof creak.

SCB86

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Had my ZS in December and straight away it had an intermittent creak when the sunroof was open. Both A-pillar trims also rattled and the dealer dismissed the sunroof creak out of hand saying it was the A-pillars.

The A-pillar trims were replaced which sorted that rattle, but then I noticed that the dash seems to squeak where it meets the windscreen.

The sunroof creak became more and more prevalent to the point I can't drive with it open because it's so loud and irritating.

Took the car in today and they said that MG have told them to book the car in for a week and they have to drop the headlining. Apparently they think it potentially may be missing a bolt but they need to strip the entire roof to find the issue.

They dismissed the dashboard squeak and instead think it's from the passenger door card which they need to take apart. I know that it's the dash and not the door - it sounds like rubber against glass and is coming from the middle of the dash. Time will tell. They dismissed the sunroof out of hand and yet here I am having to have the entire roof dismantled 🤷🏼‍♂️

On another note, I had the new Citroen C4 as a courtesy car and I was glad to get my ZS back. A lot has been made of the C4's hydraulic bump stops on the suspension and the comfortable seats, but I didn't find it anymore accomplished than the ZS. To say it's such a new car it's surprising how laggy the infotainment was, I expect it from a cheap car like the MG but not a brand new Citroen. I genuinely wouldn't swap. The only thing I'd take from the C4 is the head up display which I also had in my DS3 CROSSBACK.

The squeak is simple to solve ..with no tools ,spray teflonspray on the plastic cover by the wipers ..between the cover and the windshield

Last edited:
Strange how they are willing to have the car in for a week and drop the head lining, but would not remove the wiper scuttle panel and apply some silent tape to the hard rubber seal to cure the creak ?.
This job will take no longer than 1 hour to complete ????.
The spray is an easier quick fix as well !.

Strange how they are willing to have the car in for a week and drop the head lining, but would not remove the wiper scuttle panel and apply some silent tape to the hard rubber seal to cure the creak ?.
This job will take no longer than 1 hour to complete ????.
The spray is an easier quick fix as well !.
Yes the owners of the mg do know more than the dealer 😃😃that is the reason i hope i never need them

I was convinced my sunroof was creaking the other day
(massive bug bear as my SQ5 had it and had a complete new seal fitted under warranty)
upon having a feel around the roof area while driving, i managed to get it to go quiet....
Believe it or not my arm was resting on the passenger headrest a the time and it was that that was rattling, not the sun roof ! !
Go figure !!
The passenger headrest was raised slightly and putting it back down again made the car quiet as a mouse again.
I was convinced it was the roof too..
Might be worth a check

My sunroof creaks on the left rear side, above the passenger's head somewhere. It's quite annoying. It seems to be lessened when the sunroof is open, but it might just be the wind noise.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom