Happy Zappy

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Our son has a Rolec charge point at his home which is about 6 years old and becoming a bit intermittent. I have just had solar panels fitted which involved having my home charger replaced by a Zappi. I have given him our old PodPoint Solo which is only about 3 years old.

A local electrician has given him a quote of around £400 to swap them over as there’s more work involved due to “regulations changing”. This seemed rather a lot to me as surely it should just be a straight swap.

Is he being taken for a ride, or have things changed that much in the last few years.

Many thanks
David

Our son has a Rolec charge point at his home which is about 6 years old and becoming a bit intermittent. I have just had solar panels fitted which involved having my home charger replaced by a Zappi. I have given him our old PodPoint Solo which is only about 3 years old.

A local electrician has given him a quote of around £400 to swap them over as there’s more work involved due to “regulations changing”. This seemed rather a lot to me as surely it should just be a straight swap.

Is he being taken for a ride, or have things changed that much in the last few years.

Many thanks
David
If you get a registered EVSE installer to do the job they should put in a new mini CU if the original was off the main CU plus PEN protection.
If you know a sparky and want to risk just swapping it......

I see you live near where I live, is your lad round this way too? I'll do it for £200 :)

Seriously, it's worth asking what he's getting for his £400. I'd have thought £200 would be pushing it. £150 for half a day plus parts. The Zappi has PEN protection built-in doesn't it?

But you must already know how expensive tradespeople are round here.

Sounds like the son’s original troublesome Rolec unit is coming out and the used gifted Pod Point from @Happy Zappy ( Dad ) is being installed at his son’s address to me ?.
The new Zappi has been installed @Happy Zappy address, IF I understand the post correctly??.
Again I am purely guessing, that if the Rolec unit is six years old, it is likely to be a dumb ( a none smart type unit ).
Fine, but it is likely ( given its age ) to have no PEN fault protection, like the more modern day wall box units.
Therefore, the quote to make what sounds like a simple switch over COULD require the need to upgrade items as part of the new compliance of recent reg’s, hence the higher price of what looks like a simple “ one to one” switch out.
What was okay ( reg’s wise ) 6 years ago, is not what is required now in 2023.
I have a Rolec wall box, that was professionally installed to the latest reg’s back in 2016.
Today, the reg’s criteria for that install has very likely been updated.
What is fine then, could well be totally out of compliance the very next week even.
It’s like a shifting sand situation, hard to keep pace TBH.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom