Switching off KERS??

keithw64

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I know this is not an option on the 5 but does anyone else feel that even KERS 1 is a bit strong when trying to coast down a modest incline. Without KERS the car would maintain a decent speed but I often find I am having to apply the throttle to maintain a constant speed and prevent slowing when I don't want to when otherwise it would do so by itself without KERS.....or am I missing something as not had the car very long?

I had the use of an Audi ETron a few months ago and the strength of regeneration was controlled by flappy paddles where the gears would have been for an ICE which seemed a much more user friendly and intuitive method of applying regenerative braking. I rarely had to use the foot brake as it went from lowest level of regen to highest with a couple of presses of a paddle rather than reaching for a switch on the centre console.

I know this is not an option on the 5 but does anyone else feel that even KERS 1 is a bit strong when trying to coast down a modest incline. Without KERS the car would maintain a decent speed but I often find I am having to apply the throttle to maintain a constant speed and prevent slowing when I don't want to when otherwise it would do so by itself without KERS.....or am I missing something as not had the car very long?

I had the use of an Audi ETron a few months ago and the strength of regeneration was controlled by flappy paddles where the gears would have been for an ICE which seemed a much more user friendly and intuitive method of applying regenerative braking. I rarely had to use the foot brake as it went from lowest level of regen to highest with a couple of presses of a paddle rather than reaching for a switch on the centre console.
I think there was a trick to switch KERS off with MG Pilot/Cruise Control. I think you need to put cruise control at very low speed (20 or 30mph) and then KERS won't kicking at all at higher speeds.

I think there was a trick to switch KERS off with MG Pilot/Cruise Control. I think you need to put cruise control at very low speed (20 or 30mph) and then KERS won't kicking at all at higher speeds.
Thanks..I shall give that a try although a bit of a faff to do that every time you want it off.

I'm not sure what the issue is with applying a little bit of pressure on the power pedal. It doesn't actually take any power until the power meter passes zero, it just reduces regen for the initial part of the travel.

Having recently switched from the ZS to 5 I have been comparing the KERS levels. Initially I thought KERS 3 was less strong on the 5 but I have certain corners/stretches of road where I know what speed to be doing and where to lift off to let KERS do it's thing to reduce speed to a set level.
Well surprisingly, because it doesn't feel like it, KERS 3 is the same in both. However a hill I was able to 'cruise/coast' down in KERS1 and maintain speed I cannot any more and have to use the throttle at times to maintain speed.
Conclusion for me is KERS1 is stronger and KERS3 the same on the 5 compared to the ZS.
As for 2 not much evidence around that as I tend to be an extremes type of guy. :)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom