Sync EV - Update to remove pulse charging

Ozzie1989

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Just noticed that my Sync EV app has updated and now there is no pulse/trickle charge menu. Just an option within the power management screen:

Screenshot_20220506-221717-984.png

Great news for those with a Sync EV charger and fingers crossed they are heading in the right direction since the buyout 👍🏻🙂

Seems they are also doing a tethered version as well as white and black casings now.

Noobie here but I have a sync EV charger. Why is this good news? I wasn't aware of a buyout, what other changes are you hoping to see?

So the recent firmware update has sorted two major issues with scheduled charging:

1) You could only select pulse or trickle charging

The issue with this is that on pulse it woke the car up every few minutes causing the relays and contactors to operate thus wearing them out quicker and potentially causing software issues.

On trickle it would draw 6a continuously until the off peak tariff started, which isn't ideal when you want to charge as cheap as possible.

Now it will check the car is connected and wait patiently until the time you specify.

2) The thing actually charging at the scheduled time was hit and miss, much more reliable since the latest update. Also the graph now reflects the above improvements and shoes accurate times and power consumed.

As for the buyout they announced it on their Facebook page last month. Their support number appears to have stopped working but thankfully the email does work and they've been responsive to me in the last two weeks.

Hopefully going forward they'll keep developing the app (solar integration maybe), make the unit itself much more secure in terms of software/WiFi, and ensure continued support for years to come.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom