Tailgate tinworm - stupid number plate holder design

Moog42

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
Cleaning my 22 month old HSPHEV today and I noticed a tiny rust spot just underneath the number plate holder. Taking it off revealed paint carnage! It seems that when the black plastic holder was fitted they left the tape on AND the tape cover (the red stuff) causing it to look a complete state as the rust has come through in the same pattern - this is post clean so every dot on the bottom part is rust (the top is some sticky residue). It has a service due on at Budgens the supplying dealer in May where I was also bringing up the heated rear window filaments are failing - I'm fingers crossed they sort this out without a fuss. You might want to check what's under yours!!

IMG_2102.jpg
IMG_2103.jpg

Question :- Why has there been two small holes been drilled / produced in the tail gate lid ??.
As it perfectly clear to me that THIS is what has caused the whole problem.
The two holes in that black plastic plate, appear to match up to the two holes in tail gate.
I am going to guess that the number plate was held onto the car via two self tapping screws that where capped with plastic covers maybe ?.
If my theory is correct, when the holes where drilled for the securing screws for the plate, somebody has kept drilling through the plastic plate and into the metal tail gate.
The metal swarf that has been produced by drilling the holes, has then become trapped behind the number plate and has naturally started to rust.
You can clearly see the line of rust staining, where the swarf was trapped behind the plate.
Surely the number plate should be fixed to the car, via the four factory provided holes that have been treated in the body colour ( as seen in your photo ) ??.
Who ever fitted them plates will be looking for another job very shortly I think.
If that was my car, I would be livid !.
Loosing them two holes that I believe has been produced in error, need sorting and a repaint of the panel is very likely !.
NOT WHAT YOU NEED TBH !.

Question :- Why has there been two small holes been drilled / produced in the tail gate lid ??.
As it perfectly clear to me that THIS is what has caused the whole problem.
The two holes in that black plastic plate, appear to match up to the two holes in tail gate.
I am going to guess that the number plate was held onto the car via two self tapping screws that where capped with plastic covers maybe ?.
If my theory is correct, when the holes where drilled for the securing screws for the plate, somebody has kept drilling through the plastic plate and into the metal tail gate.
The metal swarf that has been produced by drilling the holes, has then become trapped behind the number plate and has naturally started to rust.
You can clearly see the line of rust staining, where the swarf was trapped behind the plate.
Surely the number plate should be fixed to the car, via the four factory provided holes that have been treated in the body colour ( as seen in your photo ) ??.
Who ever fitted them plates will be looking for another job very shortly I think.
If that was my car, I would be livid !.
Loosing them two holes that I believe has been produced in error, need sorting and a repaint of the panel is very likely !.
NOT WHAT YOU NEED TBH !.
You might be right. I thought the black plastic holder was for a Chinese square plate but the top 2 holes of the tailgate aren’t used at all. The U.K. plastic plate has been stuck to the black holder (bottom pic shows it stuck on) AND then screwed on too, which it absolutely didn’t need. Muppets. And yes, probably a repaint.

You might be right. I thought the black plastic holder was for a Chinese square plate but the top 2 holes of the tailgate aren’t used at all. The U.K. plastic plate has been stuck to the black holder (bottom pic shows it stuck on) AND then screwed on too, which it absolutely didn’t need. Muppets. And yes, probably a repaint.
The two extra holes in the tail gate appeared to match the two holes in that black plastic plate, that was the give away really !.
The normal book time to install a set of number plates at the dealership WAS .2 of an hour, which is approx twenty minutes, no time for hanging around.
This is BEFORE two sided tape was even a thing !.
One reason for using two sided tape now and not a drill, is high lighted in your case.
OMG - Just use tape, the worst that is going to happen is that it is not fitted correctly is that the plate falls off.
A bit cheaper than the repair that faces them on your car.
If you feel your complaint is not being treated with the correct level of attention it actually deserves, you COULD demand a complete new tail gate assembly, in order to loose them incorrectly produced holes in your car.

Hi everybody, I'm searching the license plate holder what have seen on picture. Somebody knows where can i buy it or similar? Thx
License plate holder.png

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom