Take care out there! This from "The Register"

Fluffykins

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5

Cars in driver-assist mode hit a third of cyclists, all oncoming cars in tests​

Don't rely too much on automatics yet.

Autonomous cars may be further away than believed. Testing of three leading systems found they hit a third of cyclists, and failed to avoid any oncoming cars.

Full article here:
Autonomous cars hit third of cyclists, all oncoming cars

Lane keep assist can be a pain when you try to move over for bikers filtering or coming past cyclists and forgetting to indicate. Car fights you and trys to take out the lycra clad lemmings.
Agreed which is why I never use it, but the OP was re autonomous cars not driver aids. :)

I have not yet got an MG... but we own a VW e-Up! with lane keep assist. Same issue pulling away from cyclists, but easily overcome if we use the indicator (which should be used anyway.)

I have not yet got an MG... but we own a VW e-Up! with lane keep assist. Same issue pulling away from cyclists, but easily overcome if we use the indicator (which should be used anyway.)
It tries to keep you centred in the lane when using mg pilot. So moving right to give a filtering biker room can result in the car pushing you back or fighting. It's not just when crossing the white line.

Personally, I would only use MG pilot on motorways. Might also be useful on some dual carriageways, but I would say if there's more than a remote chance of coming across a cyclist or pedestrian in the road, don't use it (and switch it off if you do see something unexpected ahead).

Half the cyclists round here deserve it! Especially the ones who go down the one way street the wrong way :mad:
The vast majority of cyclists are fine on the road. I do get annoyed when people use terms like “half the cyclists round here”.

There are always poor cyclists and poor drivers. Poor and dangerous drivers kill other road users including cyclists and pedestrians.

Get annoyed then, because I was being generous. I get annoyed when people use terms like "the vast majority of cyclists are fine". In my experience they are not, with their little booties and lycra pants (one yesterday even had "Team Sky" socks, bless). They seem to think rules of the road and courtesy to other road users don't apply to them. On my drive to work I frequently have to negotiate a stack of cyclists who ride two abreast along a narrow lanes and will not move whatever is behind them. Cyclists also kill other road users, but you seem to overlook that bit.

Yes aids are good but need to remember you still have observe and drive the car with the aids

remember you still have observe
Tell that to the <evpletive>ing idiot, of whom I had clear sight (and vice versa) for several tens of meters and who pulled out from the left in front of me without once looking to his right at all.

Predictably he got all upset at a 10 second blast on the horn. (I figured if he's stupid enough to act like that, he'll need a full 10 seconds, possibly more, to realise a) there's someone else in the universe, b) said person is hooting at someone and c) that someone might conceivably be him.)

Half the cyclists round here deserve it! Especially the ones who go down the one way street the wrong way :mad:
In my nearest City they are spending £700k rewarding the cyclists who for years have cycled the wrong way down a one way street with a cyclelane to make the behaviour legal. So civil disobedience / ignoring the law works.

The vast majority of cyclists are fine on the road. I do get annoyed when people use terms like “half the cyclists round here”.

There are always poor cyclists and poor drivers. Poor and dangerous drivers kill other road users including cyclists and pedestrians.

Agree. It's not as though there aren't quite a few of us car drivers who seem ignorant of speed limit signs.

Speed limits do not apply to cyclists. They can only be prosecuted if they are involved in an incident. Bizarre but true.

Speed limits do not apply to cyclists. They can only be prosecuted if they are involved in an incident. Bizarre but true.

Not entirely true. Cyclists tend to be excluded in most cases because speed limits are defined in the Road Traffic Regulations Act 1984, which only applies to motor vehicles. However, there is an equivalent to dangerous driving called "furious cycling" which can apply in most cases of excess speed. Additionally, there are some bylaws which apply to all vehicles.

Regardless, I think we can agree that most cyclists and drivers obey the laws (most of the time), and there's a few who make these things dangerous for the rest of us.

“Lemmings” ?

LKA is only really suitable for Motorway Driving.
Yes that minority that give the rest a bad name. Blindly following their given direction with complete disregard to everything around them, like the green haired blue guys of my youth.

...... They seem to think rules of the road and courtesy to other road users don't apply to them. On my drive to work I frequently have to negotiate a stack of cyclists who ride two abreast along a narrow lanes and will not move whatever is behind them. Cyclists also kill other road users, but you seem to overlook that bit.
Without examining it too closely, they are following the rules of the road, as the highway code indicates that they should be riding two abreast on "narrow lanes".
  • Rule 213: On narrow sections of road, on quiet roads or streets, at road junctions and in slower-moving traffic, cyclists may sometimes ride in the centre of the lane, rather than towards the side of the road. It can be safer for groups of cyclists to ride two abreast in these situations. Allow them to do so for their own safety, to ensure they can see and be seen. Cyclists are also advised to ride at least a door’s width or 1.0m from parked cars for their own safety.
I'm not an active cyclist, so have no particular axe to grind. Happy to be corrected, if I'm misreading.

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom