Terrible service, ending lease early.

Cadbury100

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I need to let everyone know about my situation and the terrible service and NON resolutions offered by MG.
Last year I had a problem when on a long range journey. Basically the car refused to charge at any rapid chargers en route and I was forced to struggle home on a minimal charge. The car would charge using my 7kw home charger but refused to charge on any DC circuit. A service was due and I got the 'brick' to the dealership and told them of the problem. I was told eventually that it was a 'Software' issue and a software update indeed seemed to 'cure' the problem for a few months.
On the day before Christmas Eve I was travelling again from Eastbourne to Warwick and I stopped to charge at Cobham on the M25. I attempted to use the Ionity bank and, low and behold the charge failed, after spending over an hour on the phone with Ionity etc it was just no good and the car refused to charge.
I then tried the Electric Highway chargers in the same location and had the same result. I couldn't even charge using the AC cable.
I now had no choice and proceeded to try another service are at Beaconsfield on the M40 and I arrived there with around 15 miles left 'in the tank' as it were.
As you can imagine I tried numerous attempts to charge here again to no avail. I was forced to call the RAC motobility breakdown. When the RAC tech tried he had the same result he tried to clear alll the faults on the car as he said that sometimes resolved the COMMON issue but again no result.
My only choice at that time was to limp to the Beaconsfield MG Deale which was fortunately close by and dump the heap on their forecourt, and continue my journey another way.
To cut a long story short The dealership couldn't resolve the issue and the response and help they received they passed on to me was an email fro MG 'Tech support in Longbridge. They told the repairer to update the software (already done and no help) and hand the car back to me and to tell me that MG had an 'issue' with Ionity chargers which they couldn't resolve and tell me not to use them in future!!!! NO fix, not even an apology!! Despite them being told it wasn't exclusively an Ionity issue but also ANY rapid charge unit.
If they indeed have an issue with a particular charging company as they say then surely all their customers should be made aware before being left 100 miles from home sitting in a useless brick????
I have contacted Motobility and they were the greatest of help and have agreed to my ending the lease early and moving to a more RELIABLE company. I can't fault Motobility, or even the Dealer and his repair staff who did everything they could and were just as astounded with MG's responses as I was.
Please BE WARNED!! IF YOU HAVE AN MG TYPE ON ZS EV GET RID OF IT NOW OR ONLY USE IT LOCALLY. Customer service from this company leaves more than a lot to be desired.

I need to let everyone know about my situation and the terrible service and NON resolutions offered by MG.
Last year I had a problem when on a long range journey. Basically the car refused to charge at any rapid chargers en route and I was forced to struggle home on a minimal charge. The car would charge using my 7kw home charger but refused to charge on any DC circuit. A service was due and I got the 'brick' to the dealership and told them of the problem. I was told eventually that it was a 'Software' issue and a software update indeed seemed to 'cure' the problem for a few months.
On the day before Christmas Eve I was travelling again from Eastbourne to Warwick and I stopped to charge at Cobham on the M25. I attempted to use the Ionity bank and, low and behold the charge failed, after spending over an hour on the phone with Ionity etc it was just no good and the car refused to charge.
I then tried the Electric Highway chargers in the same location and had the same result. I couldn't even charge using the AC cable.
I now had no choice and proceeded to try another service are at Beaconsfield on the M40 and I arrived there with around 15 miles left 'in the tank' as it were.
As you can imagine I tried numerous attempts to charge here again to no avail. I was forced to call the RAC motobility breakdown. When the RAC tech tried he had the same result he tried to clear alll the faults on the car as he said that sometimes resolved the COMMON issue but again no result.
My only choice at that time was to limp to the Beaconsfield MG Deale which was fortunately close by and dump the heap on their forecourt, and continue my journey another way.
To cut a long story short The dealership couldn't resolve the issue and the response and help they received they passed on to me was an email fro MG 'Tech support in Longbridge. They told the repairer to update the software (already done and no help) and hand the car back to me and to tell me that MG had an 'issue' with Ionity chargers which they couldn't resolve and tell me not to use them in future!!!! NO fix, not even an apology!! Despite them being told it wasn't exclusively an Ionity issue but also ANY rapid charge unit.
If they indeed have an issue with a particular charging company as they say then surely all their customers should be made aware before being left 100 miles from home sitting in a useless brick????
I have contacted Motobility and they were the greatest of help and have agreed to my ending the lease early and moving to a more RELIABLE company. I can't fault Motobility, or even the Dealer and his repair staff who did everything they could and were just as astounded with MG's responses as I was.
Please BE WARNED!! IF YOU HAVE AN MG TYPE ON ZS EV GET RID OF IT NOW OR ONLY USE IT LOCALLY. Customer service from this company leaves more than a lot to be desired.
Did you get in writing the response and recommendations from MG?

The response was from the Tech Support in Longbridge to The dealer attempting the repair. Motobility investigated the issue directly with MG and received the same responses from them and was confirmed by MG that this was indeed a problem that they could not fix. Motobility being the largest lease client in the country carried more weight with MG than me, and they received the same information from MG as me with no resolution offered or even expected. The 'recommendation' from MG is don't use Ionity chargers as we have an issue with them. As I said this issue was also apparent on the Electric Highway chargers but MG didn't care to comment on that issue or in fact tell any other car owners about the problem it seem's.

Glad that you got it sorted anyway.

The response was from the Tech Support in Longbridge to The dealer attempting the repair. Motobility investigated the issue directly with MG and received the same responses from them and was confirmed by MG that this was indeed a problem that they could not fix. Motobility being the largest lease client in the country carried more weight with MG than me, and they received the same information from MG as me with no resolution offered or even expected. The 'recommendation' from MG is don't use Ionity chargers as we have an issue with them. As I said this issue was also apparent on the Electric Highway chargers but MG didn't care to comment on that issue or in fact tell any other car owners about the problem it seem's.
What an awful experience. I've used Electric Highway on the M4 at Reading (when I found one that worked) and charged successfully. Not tried Ionity as they are way out of my price range.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom