Terrible translation

chrisp

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi,

When the car ( Late 2021 Facelift ZS EV Trophy Long Range ) is turned off and I look at the battery status on the car's entertainment screen I see this hilariously bad bit of English:

It's can not opreate when the vehicle is unactive Please start you Vehicle first

I was wondering is that suggests the car is running some old or incorrect software - you'd hope such a glaring error had been corrected now the car has been out for a while.

Does anyone else get the same message?

Thanks,

Chris

IMG_3651.jpeg

I would say that even though there is a mis-spelling, poor grammar and the breaking up of “can not”, the intention of the wording is still perfectly clear. Maybe you don’t understand what they are trying to get across to you?

Written English can be a very complex thing.

Yes the meaning comes across but I can't imagine any manufacturer being particularly proud to present something like that to their users. I'm surprised it hasn't been corrected by software update. MG feels to me to be aiming for an affordable but premium feel and little mistakes do undermine that.

My purpose in raising it, though, was to get advice on whether my car is running some old or incorrect software.

The car must be turned on to be able to select anything on the main screen.

It does not have to be in the READY State, but it does have to be turned on.

How are you able to see the screen display without turning on the car?

Yes you're right - I think the car is 'on' but not 'ready' - ie I pressed the start button but didn't have the brake depressed at the same time.

Ah, by “turned off”, you mean “turned on” - the irony of it :)

With mine when it is turned on, but not in the READY State, I do not get that message, the screen goes to the battery control page as normal.

7460C6D0-F221-4EA8-A117-049DA5DFF117.jpeg

This reply is meant as a bit of light hearted banter (please don't take offence).

When you point out bad english, you can bet your bottom dollar you'll get yours wrong.

"I was wondering is that suggests the car is running some old or incorrect software", and did you break the brake or did the brake break? :)

Sounds like this might not be relevant but from Settings / System I see this:

MPU software version
SWI20-29176-1300R11

MCU software version

If I tap 'Update' from the same screen it tells me no new versions were detected.

Last time I was at the MG dealership they told me software updates have to be done by them - do you happen to know if that's true or should they happen over the air?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom