Tesco's 7Kw chargers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was certainly aware but I think I read about it on SpeakEV first. Prices are correct on the PodPoint App.

When they went from being free to 29p kWh I didn’t mind as I had got 18 months of free charging and knew it would come to an end and the 29p was still the cheapest around but just 6 months later it goes to 44p kWh a 48% increase why is that ?

Because it was costing too much to subsidize them, and people were abusing them.
The free charging was only ever meanstas an incentive for people to shop there, quick plug in while you shop then away again.
People being people left them there for hours, meaning other shoppers couldn't access them. I knew off people with home chargers that lived near Tesco's plugging their cars in their rather than use their own, the cost of energy and human nature has probably driven up the price.

They now just keep unplugging and plugging back in every 15 minutes. I read even a member of Tesco staff was doing it.

They now just keep unplugging and plugging back in every 15 minutes. I read even a member of Tesco staff was doing it.
If someone is sad enough and has enough time to be doing that then good luck to them, there is a lot of stick dished out to ice drivers on forums but that genuinely beats everything, not an advert for having an ev more an advert for saying look how sad and tight I am.
If I saw someone doing that I'd be definitely saying something to them.

Because it was costing too much to subsidize them, and people were abusing them.
The free charging was only ever meanstas an incentive for people to shop there, quick plug in while you shop then away again.
People being people left them there for hours, meaning other shoppers couldn't access them. I knew off people with home chargers that lived near Tesco's plugging their cars in their rather than use their own, the cost of energy and human nature has probably driven up the price.
But they could potentially be on for 24hrs anyway cos as soon as one left another would be there and there was a 2hr max parking with cctv. I never did my shopping at Tesco before but switched to them which meant they we’re getting something out of the deal anyway I just don’t get it that they were free for 4 years then 29p for 6 months which was fair and I carried on shopping there now this 48% hike to 44p kWh which means there’s no incentive anymore so back to Sainsbury’s and charging at home for me.

But they could potentially be on for 24hrs anyway cos as soon as one left another would be there and there was a 2hr max parking with cctv. I never did my shopping at Tesco before but switched to them which meant they we’re getting something out of the deal anyway I just don’t get it that they were free for 4 years then 29p for 6 months which was fair and I carried on shopping there now this 48% hike to 44p kWh which means there’s no incentive anymore so back to Sainsbury’s and charging at home for me.
It's called a "loss leader"

Look at your own costs of energy in the last couple of years and that explains why, they also didn't have the governments price guarantee which was in relation to domestic use.

Look at your own costs of energy in the last couple of years and that explains why, they also didn't have the governments price guarantee which was in relation to domestic use.
You make some very valid points for sure, however, assuming from your profile that you are based in Scotland you are in a far more enviable position with the annual access fee and 60% of public chargers being free to not even consider 'abusing the system'. The national government needs to do something about the rest of the country.

Didn't I read somewhere that free charging was being phased out in Scotland, or maybe only some areas.

Why should the government (aka the taxpayer) pay for our motoring?

I think you'll find it's more likely that the tax take from EVs will rise in a number of ways, to even them out with ICE cars. The govt has to get revenue somewhere...

Didn't I read somewhere that free charging was being phased out in Scotland, or maybe only some areas.

Why should the government (aka the taxpayer) pay for our motoring?

I think you'll find it's more likely that the tax take from EVs will rise in a number of ways, to even them out with ICE cars. The govt has to get revenue somewhere...
They are as of 2025 there will be a road tax of basic £165 and £355 for new cars over £40000 so much for encouraging us to go greener help save the planet where is the insensitive now ?

When they went from being free to 29p kWh I didn’t mind as I had got 18 months of free charging and knew it would come to an end and the 29p was still the cheapest around but just 6 months later it goes to 44p kWh a 48% increase why is that ?
Greed ?
They are as of 2025 there will be a road tax of basic £165 and £355 for new cars over £40000 so much for encouraging us to go greener help save the planet where is the insensitive now ?
That's our government . Talk the talk, but definitely no walk the walk :rolleyes:

So why do you think Tesco or the government should subsidise your motoring?
If the government truly want to promote EV use ,they have a duty to promote the ownership and practicality of EV take up. Tesco are a business so they have no obligation obviously

Doesn't mean they should subsidise it. It's for the benefit of the population anyway, who could take a bit of responsibility for something themselves for once.

Doesn't mean they should subsidise it. It's for the benefit of the population anyway, who could take a bit of responsibility for something themselves for once.
Steady they're only just mastering the "it's not my fault because I have xyzabc" or the "I shouldn't have to be thinking about these things that directly affect me, someone else should be doing it for me & far better", self-entitled cursewords 🤬

You make some very valid points for sure, however, assuming from your profile that you are based in Scotland you are in a far more enviable position with the annual access fee and 60% of public chargers being free to not even consider 'abusing the system'. The national government needs to do something about the rest of the country.
Hardly any free public charging in Scotland now, mainly limited to Perthshire area, everywhere else is round about 34 p on 22kw chargers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom