Tesla Chargers

Bazzer44

Established Member
Reaction score
There was a post recently by a member indicating he had successfully charged his MG ZS EV on a Tesla Charger
I attempted to plug mine in but the tethered cable did not fit my MG , anyone purchased or obtained some sort of adapter that converts the socket on the MG to suit the Tesla Charger cable
It may be that older or newer Tesla tethered cables are different to the Charger near us

There was a post recently by a member indicating he had successfully charged his MG ZS EV on a Tesla Charger
I attempted to plug mine in but the tethered cable did not fit my MG , anyone purchased or obtained some sort of adapter that converts the socket on the MG to suit the Tesla Charger cable
It may be that older or newer Tesla tethered cables are different to the Charger near us
Don't waste your time or money, Tesla chargers won't work. There was a brief period where some of them were on all the time and would work, free vend, with any car, but it was a one off.

A member posted on here that a successfull charge had been achieved , I ask how the connection was made but didn't get a reply , but thanks anyway it was just a chance that there would be a favourable reply

A member posted on here that a successfull charge had been achieved , I ask how the connection was made but didn't get a reply , but thanks anyway it was just a chance that there would be a favourable reply
Maybe it was type 2 AC connector they used ?

Just to clarify, I was referring to the Tesla supercharger network. There are other Tesla chargers, I believe they are white in colour that can be accessed by any EV. :)

Assume these can be paid by card, with no account to worry about. Would you feel guilty at using a Tesla charger without the Tesla car..??

Assume these can be paid by card, with no account to worry about. Would you feel guilty at using a Tesla charger without the Tesla car..??
The white Tesla chargers aren't part of the supercharger network, you find them installed at hotels and the like. I've no idea how they get paid for locally. You can't use the supercharger network without a Tesla, so nothing to feel guilty about, but in general I don't feel much guilt over minor crimes that don't harm individual people! ;)

I am sure the Tesla cars that charge at all the other chargers feel entitled to do so , but of course I understand your point , again my EV won't fit the charger so no problems

The connector I saw was very similar to my type 2

This is from zap map

However, Tesla often installs a non-Tesla specific Type 2 charge point alongside its Destinationchargers. These are available for any EV driver to use, providing they have a Type 2 inlet on their car, since the units come with tethered cables.

The open-access charge points do not have a cost to use, as with the Tesla Destination units, and look identical. Often installed alongside the Tesla-specific points, signage is added to differentiate between the units for ease of use.

On Zap-Map, these charge points are listed as being under the Tesla Destination network. However, where Tesla-specific points are listed as ‘Tesla’ (below left), open points are listed as ‘Type 2’ (below right).

tesla open access

Don't waste your time or money, Tesla chargers won't work. There was a brief period where some of them were on all the time and would work, free vend, with any car, but it was a one off.
I manage to charge my MG ZS EV everyday on a Tesla charger. This is what I do and it works perfectly. I plug the car into the Tesla charger ( has a type 2 connector ) once it’s connected but not charging I get back into the car lock the car using the key fob ensuring the car is fully locked. I waste time scrolling on my phone for ten minutes or so then unlock the car, open the car door and then the Tesla charger light starts to indicate it’s charging and 2 seconds later the car starts charging. Bit of a faff however free charge and a extra 10min away from the 2 year old is worth it. I’ve done this everyday since I’ve had the car and successfully charged it everyday to 177 full even 190.

I manage to charge my MG ZS EV everyday on a Tesla charger. This is what I do and it works perfectly. I plug the car into the Tesla charger ( has a type 2 connector ) once it’s connected but not charging I get back into the car lock the car using the key fob ensuring the car is fully locked. I waste time scrolling on my phone for ten minutes or so then unlock the car, open the car door and then the Tesla charger light starts to indicate it’s charging and 2 seconds later the car starts charging. Bit of a faff however free charge and a extra 10min away from the 2 year old is worth it. I’ve done this everyday since I’ve had the car and successfully charged it everyday to 177 full even 190.
Thanks Scotty , bit far is Cardiff from Leeds lol

Very true Bazzer very true 😅
But at least it is possible to use the chargers even if slightly fussy
Going to keep watching for such one on my travels and will bear your comments in mind

To be clear Tesla Superchargers have both (a modified) Type 2 connector and a CCS2 connector. The former will not fit (the earth has a protruding plastic tab that prevents it being connected), the latter will fit but the Supercharger will not energise the MG as the MG will not be able to respond to the Tesla specific handshake that shares protocols and VINs to ensure it is actually a Tesla.

The silver wall connector (aka Destination chargers, or in Tesla-speak, High-Powered-Wall-Connector or HPWC) is a Level 2 EVSE capable of delivering maximum power 22 kW or 32A at 400V AC three-phase power.

To charge a non-Tesla you need to connect to a HPWC with model designation ending in 00 or 01
1621256254990.png

I have a 00 and 07. The 00 charges our MG and Model S no problem in legacy mode while the 07 will only charge the Model S regardless of what mode it is set to.

For 00 and 01 designated HPWC's the DIP Position 2 configures the type of digital communication between the Wall Connector and the electric vehicle. When set to Down it operates in Legacy mode,
1621256702924.png

Last edited:
Can it be charged at 100 % the way you are suggesting ?

I tried it on my MG ZS EV 2021 model and it did not work. The Tesla charger lights never came on indicating a charging mode. what can I do differently ? ?

Is there an adaptor in the market that connects the Tesla type 2 wall box to an MG ZS EV and it will charge ???
If so, which one please ???

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom