Tesla driver owning a MGZS

stevews

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi any Tesla driver owning a MGZS here can give objective comparisons on the following
1. Silent.
2. Suspension comfort at driver seat
3. Suspension comfort of passengers seat at the back
4. Aircon
5. Overall ride quality

Hi any Tesla driver owning a MGZS here can give objective comparisons on the following
1. Silent.
2. Suspension comfort at driver seat
3. Suspension comfort of passengers seat at the back
4. Aircon
5. Overall ride quality
I don’t own a Tesla myself, but here is my two pennies worth on the subject.
First of all, I do consider these two cars as completely different beasts altogether really.
It’s a bit of a chalk and cheese type thing in my mind.
You don’t say which Tesla model, but let’s just say model 3 as it’s the most popular choice it appears.
The model 3 is a saloon car EV with a boot and not a hatch and the comparisons in many fields are completely different.
The ZS EV is a mid sized cross over / suv body with a MUCH higher ride height.
This changes the whole dynamics of the ride etc.
If you have any type of mobility issues, then the ZS EV wins hand down, as getting in and out prevents you making that strange “Grunting” noise you tend to make ??.
A model Y would be a closer comparison to the ZS EV in some ways, but definitely not on price that’s for sure !.
Back to the questions :-
Noise level …… The Tesla model 3 is not noted for a silent ride at all.
Suspension / Drivers seat ……The set up is defiantly on the “firm” side on the Tesla alright and the “Y” has been criticised for this by a number of people who have driven it.
The ZS EV has been criticised for being too soft under spirited driving conditions, but its NOT that type of car in all fairness.
Drivers seat comfort in the ZS EV is pretty good TBH.
Passengers seat is the same, but you are unable to raise the height of the passengers seat 💺 in the ZS EV.
Nether seats have lumbar support, but both of us have a history of back problems, but we find the seats in the ZS EV are very comfortable, so you can judge that as you think fit.
HVAC system …… unable to comment on the Tesla system sorry, but on the ZS EV ( Gen 1 ) model, it is a totally manual system.
It works just fine when you have set the controls at your desired level.
On the Gen 2 model of the ZS EV the HVAC system is a climate control system which again if fine.
Having had both models, I don’t find any issues with either system personally.
Of course, the Tesla’s strength lies in the software it uses, great range and efficiency and the charging infrastructure.
If you are person that will be covering a LOT of miles, then the reliability of the charging infrastructure is very important of course.
To this end, the Tesla super charger network is pretty much unbeatable.
But there is a price to pay for this and it’s in the cost of buying the car I guess.

You need to lower your expectations.

The software is a million miles off a Tesla for a start.

If it is a Model 3 you are driving, other than the software it's like comparing a BMW 3 series to a Vauxhall Mokka. If you set your expectations at that level you will be all set.

Subjectively, the ride whilst pretty soft and smooth, is "bouncy".

First of all, I do consider these two cars as completely different beasts altogether really.
You don’t say which Tesla model, but let’s just say model 3 as it’s the most popular choice it appears.
The model 3 is a saloon car EV with a boot and not a hatch and the comparisons in many fields are completely different.
If you have any type of mobility issues, then the ZS EV wins hand down, as getting in and out prevents you making that strange “Grunting” noise you tend to make ??.
A model Y would be a closer comparison to the ZS EV in some ways, but definitely not on price that’s for sure !.
Suspension / Drivers seat ……The set up is defiantly on the “firm” side on the Tesla alright and the “Y” has been criticised for this by a number of people who have driven it.
The ZS EV has been criticised for being too soft under spirited driving conditions, but its NOT that type of car in all fairness.
Passengers seat is the same, but you are unable to raise the height of the passengers seat 💺 in the ZS EV.
Nether seats have lumbar support, but both of us have a history of back problems, but we find the seats in the ZS EV are very comfortable, so you can judge that as you think fit.
HVAC system …… unable to comment on the Tesla system sorry, but on the ZS EV ( Gen 1 ) model, it is a totally manual system.
On the Gen 2 model of the ZS EV the HVAC system is a climate control system which again if fine.
Of course, the Tesla’s strength lies in the software it uses, great range and efficiency and the charging infrastructure.
If you are person that will be covering a LOT of miles, then the reliability of the charging infrastructure is very important of course.
But there is a price to pay for this and it’s in the cost of buying the car I guess.
Thank you so much for your detailed reply, I didnt test drive both but do physically play around Tesla M3/MY, together with MG. Fully understand they are of different categories and that's why my question focus primarily those ride quality related matters. All and all, your reply serve a great reference to many potential ZS buyer.

I am looking to replace our first gen Leaf and am considering whether to get a new MG4 or used Tesla3 (I already have a ZS which is perfect for my needs and I do enjoy). One factor to consider is that you can get excellent low mileage Tesla (2021-2022) with heat pump etc for similar price to the ZS trophy, the Tesla has lost approx 30% depreciation whilst you will loose this against the ZS.

Last edited:
I am looking to replace our first gen Leaf and am considering whether to get a new MG4 or used Tesla3 (I already have a ZS which is perfect for my needs and I do enjoy). One factor to consider is that you can get excellent low mileage Tesla (2021-2022) with heat pump etc for similar price to the MG4 trophy, the Tesla has lost approx 30% depreciation whilst you will loose this against the MG4.
just ordered the 72kWh ZS version, basically mileage is not my concern, but more on ride comfort. M3 will not be my choice as family car even though it is full of fun, so actually I torn between ZS or MY only.

agree with most of what you say L, but I think if going the Tesla route the Model S 75D is the best car to consider (IMHO) but.... got to be 2nd hand, new ones are an extortionate price for the common car owner hence the 2hd hand option. Charging infrastrucure is second to none and I'm a bit jealous of anyone with a Tesla. Just back for a wee break in St.Annes and driving back home to Scotland I had a bit of range A and some chargers wouldnt work plus m/way ones were OTT price wise.

I am looking to replace our first gen Leaf and am considering whether to get a new MG4 or used Tesla3 (I already have a ZS which is perfect for my needs and I do enjoy). One factor to consider is that you can get excellent low mileage Tesla (2021-2022) with heat pump etc for similar price to the ZS trophy, the Tesla has lost approx 30% depreciation whilst you will loose this against the ZS.
I'd you don't need the boot space, I'd take the MG4 over the ZS. It's a newer platform and it's more efficient.

The Leaf is hard to beat for packaging though - there's a lot of space in that hatchback. If it had CCS charging I'd be driving one now over a ZS.

agree with most of what you say L, but I think if going the Tesla route the Model S 75D is the best car to consider (IMHO) but.... got to be 2nd hand, new ones are an extortionate price for the common car owner hence the 2hd hand option.
Tesla Model S is a BIG saloon car on the road for sure.
Although it can be affordable in the second hand market, but in comparison to the ZS EV price wise, it is likely to be a good few years old and have a LOT of miles on the clock.
This may not be of any concern of course.
Again the model S is similar to the model 3, in as much as they are both a low ride height saloon cars.
If you are in a situation where the higher ride height is that important, maybe due to mobility issues etc, then the low ride models are a none starter regardless.
That is why I tried to make the Tesla comparison model, between the MG ZS EV and the Tesla model Y.
Note :- Price point aside here though.
You could include the Tesla model X but I think we are into a completely different league all together here folks.
Tesla Bjorn has just taken a MG 4 to the artic circle on one of his longer range tests.
He was very impressed generally with the MG4 as a EV.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom