Mark Holmes

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Why isn’t my car recognised by Tesla supercharging, say car not located or something to that effect?

No, the charging station needs to be a series 3 charger. Thats the one with just the CCS connector and no Tesla connector. Apparently the older series 2 chargers give problems. It also needs to be open to Non-Tesla cars. These are shown in the Tesla App.

Series 2 chargers are only rated at 150 kW. Series 3 are 250Kw. The kW rating of the charger is shown in the app.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, the charging station needs to be a series 3 charger. Thats the one with just the CCS connector and no Tesla connector. Apparently the older series 2 chargers give problems. It also needs to be open to Non-Tesla cars. These are shown in the Tesla App.
Thank you

I suspect that you may also need a firmware update. Or maybe that update is only needed for working with the series 2 superchargers?

Last edited:
Needs to be at least a series 3 charger 250 kW.
Is this correct? I've tried using a series 3. Didn't work. Also, most of the reports on here suggest the problem is with the car. Namely that all but the most recent cars need a software update to use any open Tesla chargers. MG treat this as a chargeable update. Some have paid it. Not me. I've taken a case to ombudsmen.

I think you may be wrong about MG charging for the update, I suspect it is the UK dealer that is charging. I asked at my dealers and he said that ALL firmware updates are free of charge. I haven't had the opportunity as yet to test on an 'open to all' Tesla supercharger yet as even the 150 kW charger is not so easy to get to from where I live. The nearest 250 kW charger is 25 km from me. I have recently seen a You Tube video where a MG4 tried a series 2 charger which would not work, then moved to a series 3 on the same site which did work. As far as I am aware he had no firmware updates.

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course it's the dealer charging, but only because MG won't reimburse them for the cost of the update. Not sure why the MG4 situation is relevant to a ZS. The MG4 was compatible with Tesla chargers from the day it was launched.

Of course it's the dealer charging, but only because MG won't reimburse them for the cost of the update. Not sure why the MG4 situation is relevant to a ZS. The MG4 was compatible with Tesla chargers from the day it was launched.
Not with series 2 charging stations, which is why I mentioned it since coulomb mentioned it. My dealer here in Germany doesn't charge, so it seems its just those greed B___t__ds in the UK.

I have recently seen a You Tube video where a MG4 tried a series 2 charger which would not work, then moved to a series 3 on the same site which did work.
Ah. But MG4s very likely have different firmware to ZSs, so each model is possibly a separate case as far as Tesla charger compatibility goes.

Not with series 2 charging stations, which is why I mentioned it since coulomb mentioned it. My dealer here in Germany doesn't charge, so it seems its just those greed B___t__ds in the UK.
I'm not sure I would describe MGUK as greedy. They want c.£100 for the necessary update to the EVCC so the extra income can only be marginal. I would describe them more as incompetent, short sighted and lacking any genuine commitment to existing customers. In my case at least I would never buy another MG. Useful to know this is limited to UK though.

I think you may be wrong about MG charging for the update, I suspect it is the UK dealer that is charging. I asked at my dealers and he said that ALL firmware updates are free of charge. I haven't had the opportunity as yet to test on an 'open to all' Tesla supercharger yet as even the 150 kW charger is not so easy to get to from where I live. The nearest 250 kW charger is 25 km from me. I have recently seen a You Tube video where a MG4 tried a series 2 charger which would not work, then moved to a series 3 on the same site which did work. As far as I am aware he had no firmware updates.
I hope the updates you received fix the issue for you. My car also had 'firmware' updates when it was serviced in October. I'm sorry to say it did not fix the Tesla issue. Apparently a specific update to the EVCC is needed.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom