Testing the Mg5 standard range to the limit

Jones886

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
IMG-20230902-WA0004.jpeg

Hi all just a thought I'd share my journey for the week and today on a full 100% charge even though I followed threw on a few occasions it has gave me great confidence that I can really push the car to its limits.

Covered roughly 40 miles in the week with around 82% left then departed to manchester city centre today and got back to Hilton park services on the M6 for a quick rapid charge to get me home.

With 201 miles covered in the short range and showing 0% on the gom and the warning light of power steering limited I must say I had a few cheeky ripples in the seat.

Starting to really grow in confidence with this now and I've stopped listening to all the negative Ev keyboard warriors.

I've covered long drives so far to
Manchester £13.50 home charge just awaiting the data from the gridserve charge.

Pembrokeshire £43.00 had to use pod point on a few occasions as visited a lot of towns but did cover around 400 miles.

Skegness Total cost £10.38 -charged up for free at caravan site so saved a lot.

Feel free to comment

View attachment 19959

Hi all just a thought I'd share my journey for the week and today on a full 100% charge even though I followed threw on a few occasions it has gave me great confidence that I can really push the car to its limits.

Covered roughly 40 miles in the week with around 82% left then departed to manchester city centre today and got back to Hilton park services on the M6 for a quick rapid charge to get me home.

With 201 miles covered in the short range and showing 0% on the gom and the warning light of power steering limited I must say I had a few cheeky ripples in the seat.

Starting to really grow in confidence with this now and I've stopped listening to all the negative Ev keyboard warriors.

Pembrokeshire £43.00 had to use pod point on a few occasions as visited a lot of towns but did cover around 400 miles.

Feel free to comment
Congratulations! You’ve got a lot more nerve than me...

View attachment 19959

Feel free to comment
Great work!
At what point (%) did the tortoise 🐢 sign come on and what does the car do in tortoise mode? I’ve never had the nerve to go that far!

Great work!
At what point (%) did the tortoise 🐢 sign come on and what does the car do in tortoise mode? I’ve never had the nerve to go that far!
It comes on soon as you hit 0% then a warning sign states power steering limited and all I noticed was a massive reduction in power not sure on how far you can then go on it but it came on half a mile from the services 🤣.

I view it as success when I am 3 miles from home and the GOM goes to 3 dashes! I have an early ZS, with the 42 KW battery and it is perfectly feasible to do more than 300 miles in a day. In fact with all the new charging facilities that are going in I would have no issues attempting a 450 mile journey with an arrival at my destination after midnight. that would require at least 4 charging stops depending on weather and speed but now that I am past mid 70s I need the rest from driving anyway. The need for bigger batteries is really a fear of running out of juice. Just like the original minis and Ford Populars, 150 miles was their limit too. And for just 2 or 3 journeys in a year folks should consider the need for a big battery when the use of scarce resources is stopping other folks from joining the EV revolution.

You said it yourself, key to increasing EV ownership is a reliable, nationwide, public fast charging network.

Certainly where I live it’s nowhere near that, therefore the only way to enjoy (and afford) EV ownership is to do all your daily driving in one go and take advantage of night tariffs for charging.

I take your point that a 150mile range EV is plenty for the majority of folks but to change the mindset of people, the whole charging ‘en route’ experience needs to improve dramatically for the 2-3 occasions where it’s not.

You said it yourself, key to increasing EV ownership is a reliable, nationwide, public fast charging network.

Certainly where I live it’s nowhere near that, therefore the only way to enjoy (and afford) EV ownership is to do all your daily driving in one go and take advantage of night tariffs for charging.

I take your point that a 150mile range EV is plenty for the majority of folks but to change the mindset of people, the whole charging ‘en route’ experience needs to improve dramatically for the 2-3 occasions where it’s not.
Considering the maximum journey anywhere in Ireland is probably a fair bit less than 300 miles then you would only need to find one stop.
Just looked at the Plugshare map of Ireland and there 'appears' to be plenty of Rapid chargers about the place, so surely it can't be that bad that you wouldn't travel anywhere beyond home.

I’m glad you use the word ‘appears’. Last time I needed a top up my own (60 miles range) EV only one of the two charge points was operational and a queue had formed for the other, had I taken my wife’s MG5, the same journey would have been two hours shorter.

In addition the unit price on a public charger is more than 5 times the home rate.

As it currently stands switching to an EV only makes sense here if you can do your travels without the need for en-route top ups and use the cheap night rate (or PV) to charge.

Wow, you took it further than I. My lowest is 3% and my wife has gone down to 2%.

It was nerve wracking getting that low, I have to admit.

I found that reduced motor power was initiated when the battery go to 5%.

Interesting to know that the actual 'turtle' mode only initiates at 0%

Thanks for sharing.

PS I have the same version of the MG5 as you.

Just a note on charging me and the wife drove to south of France 1800 miles in total and not a problem with MG5 long range we used our Electroverse card and found the network great.
we never waited for a charger and plenty of times we were only ones on chargers and the cost are so cheaper than the UK

Just a note on charging me and the wife drove to south of France 1800 miles in total and not a problem with MG5 long range we used our Electroverse card and found the network great.
we never waited for a charger and plenty of times we were only ones on chargers and the cost are so cheaper than the UK
Bjorn Nyland on youtube does tests down to zero % and he done an MG5 facelift and when it reached 0% it didn't go much further where some EVs managed another 20km after 0%.

View attachment 19959

Feel free to comment
Always good to positive, personal evidence. Added humour helped, Jonesy😄.

It comes on soon as you hit 0% then a warning sign states power steering limited and all I noticed was a massive reduction in power not sure on how far you can then go on it but it came on half a mile from the services 🤣.
Hi, MG ZS that I am driving already 1.2 years is absolutely on the spot with the distance predictions. I had the battery flat two times already with the second occasion on a slip climbing road, that was supposed to take me to the mile away charger. What I did the first time helped this time as well - just press the STOP button, with for a minute and press the START. This gives somehow some electrons to the motor and the car moves some 100 yards before dying again. But even so I've managed to trick the uphill with few consecutive stop-wait a minute-start sessions and to then descend comfortably recuperating. Just a hint.

Wow, you took it further than I. My lowest is 3% and my wife has gone down to 2%.

It was nerve wracking getting that low, I have to admit.

I found that reduced motor power was initiated when the battery go to 5%.

Interesting to know that the actual 'turtle' mode only initiates at 0%

Thanks for sharing.

PS I have the same version of the MG5 as you.
Yes it was very nerve racking at one point I put my hazard lights on when I saw the turtle picture I was like what's going on here 🤣

Brilliant news only if there was more positive stories like this in the news

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom