The dashcam caused the car to go to safe mode and had to be towed... or?

electricbanana

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi!
First of all, sorry for my bad english.
I have a problem and looking for some advice.

I have been driving this great car( MG ZS Ev-22) for the last 5 months, got it brand new and from the first day I connected a dashcam (522gw Nextbase) in the USB-port above the front window near the mirror.

Some weeks back something weird happened with the car, it got into a "safe mode" all warningslights started to blink and it could only be driven 25km/h to the nearest carpark and it got toed away to the car dealership.

Some weeks later I recied the car back and a bill on almost 300 pounds. The car dealership said that it was the dashcam who caused the problem and the warranty does not cover any usb-plugged devices.

I don't think they are telling the truth. The car was fully charger, both batteries. Been driving perfectly since start with the camera. And the dashcam was really expensive.

Have anyone of you heard or got a similar problem? What should I do?

Best regards from Sweden

This was the message which came up when it could only be driven 25km/h

Attachments

• qqqqqwaadaww.jpg
    qqqqqwaadaww.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 148
Very much doubt it was a dash cam in fact it's impossible as the usb port for it is just a power supply no data
I would ask for it in writing what did the DashCam actually do to the car definitely think this is just passing the butt also ask what work has been done what was replaced isn't it funny the only reason that usb port is there is for a DashCam but using a dashcam voids warranty it's very fishy

Maybe MG need a big yellow sticker over the usb port saying voids warranty if used 🤯
Screenshot_20230301-235230.png

Last edited:
Very odd ??.
The displays depicts that the car is in turtle 🐢 mode for sure, hence the lack / limit of power.
Strangely enough, the TPMS is displaying no tyre pressure readings either.
What I have witnessed once in a VW Golf PHEV, was that we were travelling along just fine, then completely out of the blue, it gave out a TPMS warning ⚠️ first, then the car started to quickly throw up numerous warnings, one after another and then put the car into turtle 🐢 mode.
We where close to a dealer and drove it straight there.
The car was in need of a number of software updates, that had not been done.
When asking about the number of faults the car was throwing up, I was told that sometimes when fault is detected, it can trigger a chain reaction and therefore numerous faults are displayed.
The car is trying to understand the first fault but is unable to process the volume of fault codes it is receiving and is therefore totally overwhelmed and puts the car into turtle mode.
The updates were applied and no parts where replaced, car was absolutely fine after this ?.

Hi!
First of all, sorry for my bad english.
I have a problem and looking for some advice.

I have been driving this great car( MG ZS Ev-22) for the last 5 months, got it brand new and from the first day I connected a dashcam (522gw Nextbase) in the USB-port above the front window near the mirror.

Some weeks back something weird happened with the car, it got into a "safe mode" all warningslights started to blink and it could only be driven 25km/h to the nearest carpark and it got toed away to the car dealership.

Some weeks later I recied the car back and a bill on almost 300 pounds. The car dealership said that it was the dashcam who caused the problem and the warranty does not cover any usb-plugged devices.

I don't think they are telling the truth. The car was fully charger, both batteries. Been driving perfectly since start with the camera. And the dashcam was really expensive.

Have anyone of you heard or got a similar problem? What should I do?

Best regards from Sweden
Was the 300 spilt up into itemised elements? I would be interested to know what they did for that.

I should imagine they will say the £300 was for labour time tracing the fault. I personally would ask for an itemised bill and printouts of the fault logs etc. Here in the UK, if you have a dispute about a bill, you have 2 weeks for the dispute before you have to either pay it, or the third party admits liability. Not sure what the consumer law is in your country.

I would ask them for a written explanation of how the dashcam was able to brick the car. You can then email or post their explanation to Nextbase and ask them to comment, because this is between MG and Nextbase, with you as the innocent party in the middle being stung by the dealership.

Is the dash-cam port always powered on?
If it is it could drain the 12v to the point it throws up lots of errors.

If not, they're talking balls.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom