The dreaded (---) on the GOM is not fun

ChrisR

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
I've had my ZS EV for 6 weeks now and it's been a dream run with usual trips of 20-50 km and one longish 500 km round trip (charging at the only 2 rapid chargers on the way). I charge at home once a week and haven't been below about 20% charge ... until today ... 😕.

With about 105 km on the GOM I set out on a trip that I figured was 90 km return, briefly thinking 'this will be good for my confidence in the car's range'. Well, turns out it was closer to 96 km and there are lots of hills along the way. Even with no HVAC and in D(3)E mode on the return leg the gap between GOM and distance to home was getting uncomfortably slim. The 'State of charge low, please charge' warning and flashing battery symbol had kicked in.

Then at about 15 km range the GOM appeared to decide 'I'm outta here, you're on your own buddy' and showed (---) for the rest of the trip. I'm really not sure why MG thinks this is helpful (other than to help you decide never to go there again). With no chargers anywhere in that range I just had to trust that the SAIC gods were on my side and plough on.

I did make it home. Plugged in. Started breathing again. Checked the charge meter on the dash ... 1% !!! You can bet I'll never let that happen again. :oops:

Why would you set out on a 90km trip with only 105km on the range estimator (GOM)?

On a journey which has so little leeway why not charge up the battery to a much greater extent before you set out, say 200km.

Any journey can be unpredictable, for example you may encounter a lengthy diversion (in which case you would have been on a tow truck).

Driving an electric vehicle requires more planning and consideration when undertaking journeys than an ICE. A very stressful way to learn a lesson.

I've had my ZS EV for 6 weeks now and it's been a dream run with usual trips of 20-50 km and one longish 500 km round trip (charging at the only 2 rapid chargers on the way). I charge at home once a week and haven't been below about 20% charge ... until today ... 😕.

With about 105 km on the GOM I set out on a trip that I figured was 90 km return, briefly thinking 'this will be good for my confidence in the car's range'. Well, turns out it was closer to 96 km and there are lots of hills along the way. Even with no HVAC and in D(3)E mode on the return leg the gap between GOM and distance to home was getting uncomfortably slim. The 'State of charge low, please charge' warning and flashing battery symbol had kicked in.

Then at about 15 km range the GOM appeared to decide 'I'm outta here, you're on your own buddy' and showed (---) for the rest of the trip. I'm really not sure why MG thinks this is helpful (other than to help you decide never to go there again). With no chargers anywhere in that range I just had to trust that the SAIC gods were on my side and plough on.

I did make it home. Plugged in. Started breathing again. Checked the charge meter on the dash ... 1% !!! You can bet I'll never let that happen again. :oops:
LOL as Dr Dave says not the way to drive an EV!

It could've been worse, with a hilly journey you may not have had enough power to get home if they'd have been a big uphill bit at the end! Did you notice that you had reduced power at towards the end?

I understand what you're say about the GOM changing to --- (does it at same distance equivalent in miles in UK), it's kinda important in that situation to know that you've got say 10km left vs 1km. I'm sure the reason they've done it though is that the GOM is too unreliable and any manufacturer wouldn't want to be held responsible if something really bad happening due to you running out when it says you've got a few remaining.
This is very much why I firmly believe it should have a kWh remaining display, the full information is then available for the driver and it is then firmly their responsibility if they run out.

Fun times :p

I'd never use E mode to show how many miles left, it gives a figure based on driving like a granny.
Having said that, in your case you were driving that way anyway. ;)

Why would you set out on a 90km trip with only 105km on the range estimator (GOM)?

On a journey which has so little leeway why not charge up the battery to a much greater extent before you set out, say 200km.

Any journey can be unpredictable, for example you may encounter a lengthy diversion (in which case you would have been on a tow truck).

Driving an electric vehicle requires more planning and consideration when undertaking journeys than an ICE. A very stressful way to learn a lesson.
Still learning.

Why can't MG include either a % battery left or a kWh left (or both)? It's not too much to ask. Their technical design team need to speak to some real users.
Totally agree, very useful on SWMBO's MG 5.
She used 24% this week from a full charge so she knows she has 3 or 4 weeks before we have to charge it again.

What!? It displays the battery % on the MG5???
Yep left hand gauge,
MG5 Dials.jpg

Well said

Well said

I think the OP said they’re still learning which is fair enough. Not everyone understands EV’s and the ins and outs of how range works.

Hmmm, it’s always interesting to know how accurate the range indicators are, they all stop with about 20-30 miles left including the one in my diesel Nissan Navara. I made a point of running our car until it stopped to test this as well as being prepared for what happens. The car stopped as predicted by the range indicator to within half a mile. It’s interesting to note that while rolling the last 40 meters or so to our drive I had the idea of getting out and pushing just to keep the momentum but in opening the door the parking brake was automatically set meaning I had to get my sons to push while I sat a steered. I also noted exactly have much charge was added, 42.6Kw hence there was just over a kw left which must be to preserve the battery.

When it runs completely flat and stops I thought it applied the handbrake? I gather that you still had the steering/brakes working even though it had stopped?

When it runs completely flat and stops I thought it applied the handbrake? I gather that you still had the steering/brakes working even though it had stopped?
You have to manually release the brake using the button in the Ctr console, the steering felt unassisted initially but powered up once moving and the brake pedal worked as normal.

you also get lots of warning, it tells you the battery is depleted and ran in for about half a mile.

Hmmm, it’s always interesting to know how accurate the range indicators are, they all stop with about 20-30 miles left including the one in my diesel Nissan Navara. I made a point of running our car until it stopped to test this as well as being prepared for what happens. The car stopped as predicted by the range indicator to within half a mile. It’s interesting to note that while rolling the last 40 meters or so to our drive I had the idea of getting out and pushing just to keep the momentum but in opening the door the parking brake was automatically set meaning I had to get my sons to push while I sat a steered. I also noted exactly have much charge was added, 42.6Kw hence there was just over a kw left which must be to preserve the battery.
Interesting info.
It makes sense that the range is pretty accurate at lower states of charge, as there's less real distance difference caused if it is a few percentage out.

Did you recharge from flat using AC charger? If so the 42.6kWh is what your AC charger supplied, that's not what went into the battery as there's losses in the AC/DC inverter etc.

Had my car since December 2019. Was able to do a 100 mile trip comfortably on a full charge. Today did 50 miles mainly motorway, 60 mph max. Heaters off. No other electrical loads. Used 100 miles of battery. This happened on the return journey as well. Just had the latest battery update done. The car goes in on Tuesday for a rattle problem.
Can anyone offer advice please.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom