The Purchasing Experience

Deleted member 10911

Reaction score
Having only recently purchased our MG (think the UK call it the Trophy model), here in Australia we call it the essence.

Thought I’d share my initial thoughts.

Was a toss up between this and a Tesla 3. Took my wife, 2 kids and golf clubs for a test drive.

First question I asked the dealer, where’s the ancillary charging port in the event of a minor nose to tail collision rendering the front access unusable? Being in the insurance industry, it is common knowledge 39% of accidents (in Australia) involve the front of the vehicle. The reply crickets - Aussie slang for stunned silence.

We look around the car. Second observation, access to the trunk, cheap plastic emblem, that will be a warranty item in time. No worries.

Sticker on the window states range as 360km (Govt mandated) the truth is yet to be told.

Everyone piles in. Reverse the car up to collect the golf clubs. Oh oh. The trunk doesn’t fit a set of golf clubs with the drivers in.

We take off.
  1. Drive is great.
  2. LKA is aggressive and automatic to the point I thought the car was angry at me.
  3. Dashboard is non intrusive.
  4. Information is presented well
  5. Ride height is great
  6. Regen breaking is….odd
  7. What is up with the placement of cruise control

Kids perform their tests - stretches. Tactile touching of all surfaces. Can we pretend to hide from dad adequately in the back

Wife performs her tests - will she enjoy stealing the car in the mornings to drive to work and leave me with hers

Initial thoughts are, for the price point, it’s hard to beat, particularly with the warranty. A person purchasing needs to do their homework though as the quality of knowledge with the inner workings of EV’s is still lacking significantly as these are relatively new. There are a couple of odd choices MG has made (cruise control completely hidden behind the steering wheel) but I’m looking forward to receiving ours and putting it to the test.

Daughter and I go back for second deciding test, which means she puts it through a more rigorous testing regime.

1. Opening / closing all doors multiple times
  2. Sitting in drivers seat and pushing as many buttons as possible while pretending to speed away from angry dinosaurs
  3. Pretending to drive Miss Daisy whilst I’m sitting in the back, being Miss Daisy
  4. Determining the amount of coffee to lollie storage ratio there is in the front

Why didn’t I go for the Tesla. I’m getting old(er) and rustier and find it difficult to get in and out of sedans. The extra 27cm of ride height makes all the difference. Plus, Elon and I don’t see eye to eye with some of his oddities.

Now that's my kind of review. :) Also agree about Elon, which is why I didn't go for the Model Y (apart from the fact I couldn't afford it at its final release price). He's a bit of a loose cannon with too much control of the software you've paid for.

The LKA definitely makes you question how you drove before it, mine has led me to realise I spent a lot of my time driving too close to the centre line, now I drive almost dead centre and it only complains on narrow roads.

The LKA definitely makes you question how you drove before it, mine has led me to realise I spent a lot of my time driving too close to the centre line, now I drive almost dead centre and it only complains on narrow roads.

You didn’t use to ride motorbikes, did you?

I remember my driving instructor asking me that some 54 years ago, and when I replied, “yes” he said,”Thought so - GET OUT OF THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD!” :LOL:

You didn’t use to ride motorbikes, did you?

I remember my driving instructor asking me that some 54 years ago, and when I replied, “yes” he said,”Thought so - GET OUT OF THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD!” :LOL:
I DO ride a motorcycle :LOL::ROFLMAO: You are right, that is probably where my habit of being too close to the white line comes from.

Those are very different cars with very different budgets.

It's like cross shopping a Dacia with a Mercedes.
Here, the cost differential, once government rebates are put into the equation etc, I think the difference in pounds is about 6,000. Which in the grand scheme of things is not a great deal.

I should probably look up what a Dacia is though.

Here, the cost differential, once government rebates are put into the equation etc, I think the difference in pounds is about 6,000. Which in the grand scheme of things is not a great deal.

37,701 pounds drive away for a Tesla 3 in Australia. Government incentives are off that price.

28,941 pounds drive away for the MG. A little more than the 6,000 I thought. Govt incentives need to come off the top.

One if the best value cars money can buy, owned by Renault and will run on petrol and LPG (currently 75p per litre)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom