The RFID Question

Jimpeem

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I’m a new owner and soon to have my first long journey. The charging business on route is a concern. The only rapid charge I’ve done - as a test run- was using the CCS plug at a BP Pulse point at a hotel. I selected “guest” and it went absolutely smoothly. But the number of different suppliers is daunting. Do I need a RFID card from a bunch of them? Genie Point persuaded me to buy one, which I stupidly assumed was not specific to them, but I see now it will be costly and the card, at least in the case of Genie Point, is not necessary if you have the app. What’s the way ahead? I think it was John Lennon who said, “Ch…. You know it ain’t easy!”

I just got one of these:

Any costs incurred go straight on my Octopus bill although you don't have to be with them to get one.

Most EV drivers end up with a separate wallet just to house the number of RFID cards !.
The drive for contactless charges can't come soon enough.
The Instavolt units ( although not the cheapest ) have contactless card readers and are extremely reliable.
Sorry to say, that some of these RFID cards take a while to process and mail out.
The free Zap - Map App will help you identify your options on charge types and their payment requirements.

I have the Electric Juice card from Octopus Energy and it covers a number of charging networks.
Zap-map is great to find them and PodPoint for free Tesco's chargers and at chargeable Lidl ones.
Instavolt is very reliable.

I've needed one for Scotland. Also English CYC chargers making it less painful here. Also less painful is Shell Newmotion fob for tap and go on their own network, plus roaming on Ionity.

Everything else can be done contactless or by app. Apart from Pulse, but any fool knows had bad they've become.

We have no RFID cards nor apps to access any paid chargers. I only use Google Pay contactless linked to my credit card (so it is not my money they hold for pre authorisation). It may cost slightly more but I am prepared to accept that.

The only apps we have are Pod Point and CPS as they are required to start a free charge and as they are giving me something for nothing again I will go along with that. CPS can be started from the website but the app is easier

When my Skoda finally gets delivered it does come with a free subscription to its own RFID card which gives reduced rates on a number of networks, specifically Ionity down to 25p from 69p.

I don't need 50 different cards/apps to fill the oil burner up and refuse to play that game with chargers. If they want my business then make it contactless

Over here we got a lot of different suppliers, most with their own apps.... Luckily i have my two rfid cards (one on each key) registerd on all of them, so it's pretty simple to start the charge.
Not sure about over there, but if it's rfid, you should be able to use any card you like that's rfid. And, you should be able to configure it against multiple networks.
I even have my home charger set up with rfid :p Mostly for my own book keeping, do when i got guests that needs a charge, i use a different rfid then when i charge mine, thus they can be filtered out, and i have full Control over how much i use on my car.

Ohh, wait one, Shell recharge, i got a dedicated for that network, as they share the database with another network, and i couldn't have the same rfids on both network, but Shell sendt one to me, that got it's place in the car.

They only designed the ZS to need 3 different cards I think it is........it's only got 3 card holder slots LOL!!!!

I found the best solution, to get a free Octopus Juice card, then use that rfid card to link to any other accounts that are needed/not covered by the Octopus Juice - I've only linked mine extra to one extra - which I think was Genie Point.

It shouldn't really be an issue for much longer, from the beginning of the year all new charges had to allow a simple contactless card payment.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom