Things I hope they fix!

inneseaton

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
My first week with the ZS EV 2022 Trophy Long Range - a few things I hope MG offer a solution to in the future:

1. Lane assist is a great idea but is far too sensitive. There is also no way of temporarily turning it off when on country lanes.
  2. Have the option to have the car start in Eco mode, or at least remember the last selected driving mode. Same for KERS.
  3. Have the option to leave intelligent speed assist on, and not have to go into the menu every time.
  4. The main infotainment display is too bright at night even on the lowest setting. When left on the lowest setting during the day it is then too dim. I am constantly changing the brightness! Have a day mode and a night mode (with the option to go dimmer).
  5. When driving along there is no option to have outside air piped into the vehicle without switching on the air con and using up range - on every ICE car I have had, you can open the vents and get airflow at speed without using the fan/AC.
  6. Every time you adjust the cruise control the main display changes to MG Pilot view - why can’t it stay on the screen you were on before?
  7. Have the option to change tyre pressures to PSI on the health display.
  8. Show kW instead of/as well as amps on the info display.
  9. Have the option to deactivate auto lights somewhere in the menu - I am personally not a fan. You can only deactivate auto main beam at the moment.

Overall though I absolutely love the car - what a great drive!

My first week with the ZS EV 2022 Trophy Long Range - a few things I hope MG offer a solution to in the future:

1. Lane assist is a great idea but is far too sensitive. There is also no way of temporarily turning it off when on country lanes.
  2. Have the option to have the car start in Eco mode, or at least remember the last selected driving mode. Same for KERS.
  3. Have the option to leave intelligent speed assist on, and not have to go into the menu every time.
  4. The main infotainment display is too bright at night even on the lowest setting. When left on the lowest setting during the day it is then too dim. I am constantly changing the brightness! Have a day mode and a night mode (with the option to go dimmer).
  5. When driving along there is no option to have outside air piped into the vehicle without switching on the air con and using up range - on every ICE car I have had, you can open the vents and get airflow at speed without using the fan/AC.
  6. Every time you adjust the cruise control the main display changes to MG Pilot view - why can’t it stay on the screen you were on before?
  9. Have the option to deactivate auto lights somewhere in the menu - I am personally not a fan. You can only deactivate auto main beam at the moment.

In relation to point 5, you can just press the A/C button to turn it off and have it function in fan only mode if the temperature is set low enough that the heaters don’t kick in

Very jealous of you getting yours and glad you are overall enjoying.

I currently have the original and a few of the things you have listed do have work arounds I wonder if it would be worth trying them in your new car.

1. - in gen one you can press the button on the end of the stalk and that toggles between lane keep on and off.
3 - in gen one you can rapidly pull the cruise control stalk towards you 3 times and this turns on intelligent speed assist.
5 - turn the AC off and then click the recirculate button and that lets air flow without using miles.
7. There was an option in the settings for changing to PSI.
Hope some of these work don't want to be downgrading when my new one arrives

the

point 4. There is a dark mode setting which is all I use, you also have the option to switch between the 2 automatically but yes the white screen is bright which is why I stay on dark mode

Point 5.
Bring up the HVAC setting on the info unit and press the button at the very R/H bottom of the screen, this gives you the ability to switch between "re-circ" or free flow of "Direct Flow" from outside, when traveling without having to run the HVAC system.
It was the same on the Gen1 version, but then you had a "Push Button" to do this below the info unit.
On the face lift model, you have too do this via the on info screen display.
Diverting the flow of air in re-circ mode, to external air will stop "Fogging Up" of the side windows.
If you enter the car with damp clothes and due to wet weather conditions, the HVAC is already set into re-circ mode, then it will steam up the glass very quickly IF unless the HVAC is running.
Set the HVAC air selection setting, to allow this natural free flow of air to flow through the cabin.
It will sometimes default to the "Re-circ" setting.
Then just switch it back to "Free flow" of air into the cabin via the info screen in the car.
The HVAC is not even running at this point.
You are just commanding the air flap to allow air to flow from the outside.
A lot of people just want better protections from fumes etc.
Therefore, they just run the HVAC in re-circ mode and therefore block out as may elements / fumes as they can !.

In relation to point 5, you can just press the A/C button to turn it off and have it function in fan only mode if the temperature is set low enough that the heaters don’t kick in
Yes, I did wonder if this was the case, although it doesn’t seem to improve the range on the GOM. (Although the amps do drop off slightly).

I see someone else suggested switching the outside air/recirculated air switch which might do the trick - I shall be giving it a go this morning!

Very jealous of you getting yours and glad you are overall enjoying.

I currently have the original and a few of the things you have listed do have work arounds I wonder if it would be worth trying them in your new car.

1. - in gen one you can press the button on the end of the stalk and that toggles between lane keep on and off.
3 - in gen one you can rapidly pull the cruise control stalk towards you 3 times and this turns on intelligent speed assist.
5 - turn the AC off and then click the recirculate button and that lets air flow without using miles.
7. There was an option in the settings for changing to PSI.
Hope some of these work don't want to be downgrading when my new one arrives
Thanks for your reply!

1 - the button is no more on the facelift version it seems. A shame really when it is on the MG5 too.
3 - I will give this a go!
5 - Amazing - thank you
7 - I have searched the menus but to no avail - it would seem a silly thing to delete!

EDIT: I have tried the 3x pulls on the cruise control stalk and no joy - they only way I can find of turning on the speed assist is in the menu (every time you power up the car).

Last edited:
Point 5.
Bring up the HVAC setting on the info unit and press the button at the very R/H bottom of the screen, this gives you the ability to switch between "re-circ" or free flow of "Direct Flow" from outside, when traveling without having to run the HVAC system.
It was the same on the Gen1 version, but then you had a "Push Button" to do this below the info unit.
On the face lift model, you have too do this via the on info screen display.
Diverting the flow of air in re-circ mode, to external air will stop "Fogging Up" of the side windows.
If you enter the car with damp clothes and due to wet weather conditions, the HVAC is already set into re-circ mode, then it will steam up the glass very quickly IF unless the HVAC is running.
Set the HVAC air selection setting, to allow this natural free flow of air to flow through the cabin.
It will sometimes default to the "Re-circ" setting.
Then just switch it back to "Free flow" of air into the cabin via the info screen in the car.
The HVAC is not even running at this point.
You are just commanding the air flap to allow air to flow from the outside.
A lot of people just want better protections from fumes etc.
Therefore, they just run the HVAC in re-circ mode and therefore block out as may elements / fumes as they can !.
Thank you for your reply - I will give this a go today!

Thank you everyone for your suggestions!

I remembered one that I forgot from the list:
  1. Add the ability to automatically regen in cruise control/pilot modes - especially as the MG5 apparently has this feature.

I would like to be able to turn off the "Find my locked car by pressing the lock button on the keyfob" feature.

I used to have this night routine where, right before i went to bed, i would just click the lock button on the key to make sure the car is locked, without having to look at the car.

On the old car, it would just flash the blinkers to indicate "Command received" and if the car was locked, it would just stay that way.

On the ZS EV, if the car is locked and you press lock it will start honking the horn, to alert you to it's position i guess.

THAT one gets me every time, and the car will start honking away in the driveway late at night, probably much to the neighbors dismay, until i "unlock and relock the car" :)

I would like to be able to turn off the "Find my locked car by pressing the lock button on the keyfob" feature.

I used to have this night routine where, right before i went to bed, i would just click the lock button on the key to make sure the car is locked, without having to look at the car.

On the old car, it would just flash the blinkers to indicate "Command received" and if the car was locked, it would just stay that way.

On the ZS EV, if the car is locked and you press lock it will start honking the horn, to alert you to it's position i guess.

THAT one gets me every time, and the car will start honking away in the driveway late at night, probably much to the neighbors dismay, until i "unlock and relock the car" :)
Read the manual...you can set it to just flash the lights..

Numbers 2, 4 & 6 are some of my absolute bug bears with the car. I's add the ability to turn off ACC and just maintain 'standard' cruise as well.

For no. 9, you do know that you can turn off auto lights on the light stalk don't you?

It seems that a lot of "bugs" are resolved or negated by simply reading the manual or spending time being curious and working through settings etc. This doesn't only apply to this thread but to many many threads on the forum.
This is fine of course as it is the nature of group forums where folks have an interest and use it it th help each other. However, it can be a bit irksome when folks claim to have a "fault" or "bug" when it is mostly down to education and getting to know their car a bit better. The habit to criticise first and then have the moment of "oh, I didn't know that, thanks" when folks reply helps perpetuate some negativity and inaccurate impressions when scanning through thread subjects.
Case in point seems to be the consensus that the sat nav is no good, better to use your phone - mostly this is I suspect, because people know how to use their phone because its in their hand a lot of the time. How many therefore will spend the time and work through the settings on the cars sat nav? Try it maybe, you might be surprised to find that it's perfectly competent and actually pretty good. But that's not what the "word on the street" is right? So it can't be true?

Anyhoo, when in doubt or questioning why is this so - read the manual, be curious, spend time, try the settings or as seems to work here ask and someone will reply helpfully and sometimes refer to a page(s) in the manual.....:ROFLMAO:

Quick visual check if possible, if the doors mirrors are retracted, it means it’s locked.
Or you can check the lock / unlock status it in the I-Smart App

It seems that a lot of "bugs" are resolved or negated by simply reading the manual or spending time being curious and working through settings etc. This doesn't only apply to this thread but to many many threads on the forum.
This is fine of course as it is the nature of group forums where folks have an interest and use it it th help each other. However, it can be a bit irksome when folks claim to have a "fault" or "bug" when it is mostly down to education and getting to know their car a bit better. The habit to criticise first and then have the moment of "oh, I didn't know that, thanks" when folks reply helps perpetuate some negativity and inaccurate impressions when scanning through thread subjects.
Case in point seems to be the consensus that the sat nav is no good, better to use your phone - mostly this is I suspect, because people know how to use their phone because its in their hand a lot of the time. How many therefore will spend the time and work through the settings on the cars sat nav? Try it maybe, you might be surprised to find that it's perfectly competent and actually pretty good. But that's not what the "word on the street" is right? So it can't be true?

Anyhoo, when in doubt or questioning why is this so - read the manual, be curious, spend time, try the settings or as seems to work here ask and someone will reply helpfully and sometimes refer to a page(s) in the manual.....:ROFLMAO:
If i remember correctly a world famous educational professor quoted: some people can learn by reading, some by physical instruction and some by listening, and it is important that this is realised.

Quick visual check if possible, if the doors mirrors are retracted, it means it’s locked.
Or you can check the lock / unlock status it in the I-Smart App
Yeah, but the car is at an awkward angle to be able to see if from the house, and using the Ismart, app takes so long, that i could put on clothes, go through the house and walk around the car 4 times, before the app had connected :)

I will have to see if i can find the option that according to Gazza will stop the car honking when i try to lock it, while it is already locked. :)

Have used the CCTV camera a few times to see if the mirrors are folded. (They always are, it's just a bit of OCD on my part, that i need to lock the car before going to bed :) )

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom