Thinking of buying HS PHEV but need owner advice

PontyB

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Hi everyone,

I tried an HS PHEV today and really liked it in the main but had a couple of issues that I was hoping experienced owners could guide me on, before I sign anything!

1. What is reliability like?
2. Blind spot warning lights are in a very odd place, I'm used to them on the mirrors so are they good and just a case of getting used to the different location?
3. This is a biggy for me, I found the rear view mirror and black plastic casing for the camera and other top of windscreen gubbins really intrusive. To the extent of having to dip to look under it at junctions etc, I'm 6 feet tall so is it just me or is this a problem for anyone else?

Many thanks in advance

Hi everyone,

I tried an HS PHEV today and really liked it in the main but had a couple of issues that I was hoping experienced owners could guide me on, before I sign anything!

2. Blind spot warning lights are in a very odd place, I'm used to them on the mirrors so are they good and just a case of getting used to the different location?
3. This is a biggy for me, I found the rear view mirror and black plastic casing for the camera and other top of windscreen gubbins really intrusive. To the extent of having to dip to look under it at junctions etc, I'm 6 feet tall so is it just me or is this a problem for anyone else?

Many thanks in advance
1 don't know I'm still waiting on mine...

2 I find them Very usefully in my 3 testdrives.

3 I find that the rearview mirror is indeed a bit low , I'm 1m87 (6feet13 I guess) and I have that trouble in most cars....so yeah

Hi everyone,

Many thanks in advance
I’ve had mine for 2 weeks. Besides the charge in charging behavior, it has been very reliable.
• to start charging, the chargers needs to be powered on, otherwise car never finishes connecting
• I haven’t had it come up yet and other cars didn’t have it. No opinion at present
• can you lower the seat down and back?

1 don't know I'm still waiting on mine...

2 I find them Very usefully in my 3 testdrives.

3 I find that the rearview mirror is indeed a bit low , I'm 1m87 (6feet13 I guess) and I have that trouble in most cars....so yeah
Cheers VenumX, am going back for a second test drive today to see if I can live with it or feel it is too dangerous. Thanks

I’ve had mine for 2 weeks. Besides the charge in charging behavior, it has been very reliable.
• to start charging, the chargers needs to be powered on, otherwise car never finishes connecting
• I haven’t had it come up yet and other cars didn’t have it. No opinion at present
• can you lower the seat down and back?
Thanks HermitDave am going back for a further test drive today for a bit longer and to try exactly that. Cheers.

Cheers VenumX, am going back for a second test drive today to see if I can live with it or feel it is too dangerous. Thanks
You know what..... In most cars due to my length my view gets obstructed by the A pillar so I'm pretty happy this doesn't happen in the MG .... (My legs are pretty long I guess)

You know what..... In most cars due to my length my view gets obstructed by the A pillar so I'm pretty happy this doesn't happen in the MG .... (My legs are pretty long I guess)
I'm going to mess about with the seat, some of it will just be different what I know but hanging the mirror from the bottom of the housing rather than sticking it higher up probably doesn't help. See how we get on in about an hour as otherwise really like it and drives well.

Hi

1. One of the main reasons I bought this car was the 7 year guarantee that comes with it, should anything go wrong reliability wise. MG seem to be really serious about selling their cars in Europe and seem to want to make a good impression.

2. The blind spot warning lights are not very bright, but when you need them you know where to look.

3, I must admit I do find the mirror to be a bit low, but now I am used to it and do not even notice anymore., though I am not as tall as you.

Another reason why I bought the car is that there is a lot of bang for the buck, compared to similar cars on the market. I also love the way it looks and I do enjoy driving it.

At the end of the day it is what you feel comfortable with. Good luck!

Hi

1. One of the main reasons I bought this car was the 7 year guarantee that comes with it, should anything go wrong reliability wise. MG seem to be really serious about selling their cars in Europe and seem to want to make a good impression.

2. The blind spot warning lights are not very bright, but when you need them you know where to look.

3, I must admit I do find the mirror to be a bit low, but now I am used to it and do not even notice anymore., though I am not as tall as you.

Another reason why I bought the car is that there is a lot of bang for the buck, compared to similar cars on the market. I also love the way it looks and I do enjoy driving it.

At the end of the day it is what you feel comfortable with. Good luck!
Thanks Norhund, you don't get very long on a test drive so I think things that are different tend to register first, used to be able to get 24hr drives from some manufacturers. MG wouldn't even let me take theirs out again today as it was blocked in by other cars. Said I could adjust the seat in the one in the showroom instead.

Thanks Norhund, you don't get very long on a test drive so I think things that are different tend to register first, used to be able to get 24hr drives from some manufacturers. MG wouldn't even let me take theirs out again today as it was blocked in by other cars. Said I could adjust the seat in the one in the showroom instead.
That’s crap. Here they agreed to a few hour test drive but only on weekdays. In the end a single test drive was sufficient

That’s crap. Here they agreed to a few hour test drive but only on weekdays. In the end a single test drive was sufficient
To be honest HermitDave we never felt welcome from the moment we walked in, despite having an appointment. In the end their figures to change to the HS PHEV were over £8,500 more than I have been offered by a different dealer for exactly the same deal, HS PHEV in Pearl Black with the Black/Oxblood interior. I suppose at the back of my mind is that it will be a nuisance to go 40 miles further for a service at a different dealer plus if anything does go wrong under warranty then probably limited to nearest just for convenience. Giving it thought as really like the car.

To be honest HermitDave we never felt welcome from the moment we walked in, despite having an appointment. In the end their figures to change to the HS PHEV were over £8,500 more than I have been offered by a different dealer for exactly the same deal, HS PHEV in Pearl Black with the Black/Oxblood interior. I suppose at the back of my mind is that it will be a nuisance to go 40 miles further for a service at a different dealer plus if anything does go wrong under warranty then probably limited to nearest just for convenience. Giving it thought as really like the car.
I wouldn’t worry about it. I picked up mine from Chorely because the deal was nothing like what was offered locally.

Same car locally was quoted £436 a month vs £299 at Chorely.

I used MG website to sign up for service at local dealer rather than travelling 222 miles

I wouldn’t worry about it. I picked up mine from Chorely because the deal was nothing like what was offered locally.

Same car locally was quoted £436 a month vs £299 at Chorely.

I used MG website to sign up for service at local dealer rather than travelling 222 miles
The best deal I have is indeed Chorley Group. Unfortunately its our nearest dealer, near Chester, that we really don't want to deal with which would mean getting it serviced, and fixed if ever needed, elsewhere but quite a distance unfortunately. Next nearest is also part of same dealers. Waiting on a service price from Chorley because I am assuming (dangerous I know so will check) that any service plan means it can be serviced at any MG franchise.

The best deal I have is indeed Chorley Group. Unfortunately its our nearest dealer, near Chester, that we really don't want to deal with which would mean getting it serviced, and fixed if ever needed, elsewhere but quite a distance unfortunately. Next nearest is also part of same dealers. Waiting on a service price from Chorley because I am assuming (dangerous I know so will check) that any service plan means it can be serviced at any MG franchise.
MG site just lists all the dealers, you choose one you want to go with. I chose my nearest for service despite buying from Chorely MG

Waiting on a service price from Chorley because I am assuming (dangerous I know so will check) that any service plan means it can be serviced at any MG franchise.

Ours implied, that the service plan was with them, not MG, but can't say for sure.

Ours implied, that the service plan was with them, not MG, but can't say for sure.
You create it online.

Anyways service department is not sales

I picked Leaf from CarGiant and used my local dealer for service until I couldn’t be bothered paying £200 for cabin filter change.

Last edited:
1: Reliability, only time will tell.

Only had my ex-demonstrator for a month.

the 7 year warranty would indicate the manufacturer is aiming for good reliability.

2. Blind spot warning lights.

Used to be in the mirror on my Outlander PHEV, also not so good on a bright day with the sun behind you.

After a month, now got used to looking in the right place without thinking about it.

3. Intrusive mirror.

At first, it was an annoyance. Now, just seem to deal with it.

Hadn't realised you can create the plan online, if that's the case, why is there any discussion at all on the pricing, unless the dealer is offering a discount because it ties you to them.

Hadn't realised you can create the plan online, if that's the case, why is there any discussion at all on the pricing, unless the dealer is offering a discount because it ties you to them.
Simply because relying on the dealer I guess. Dont have a reg no. So cannot fill in the quote form to check for myself. Also have 2 different service plan prices from different dealers so maybe its not just a fixed cost item. Waiting on a phone call that may answer that.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom