Thinking of ordering one

KGoogle

Standard Member
Reaction score
My work has just introduced a salary sacrifice scheme for EVs so I've been out test driving different ones. Apart from the mg4 xpower which I randomly came across on YouTube and was immediately intrigued by, at the top of my list at the moment is the tesla model Y. I have 2 kids so the space in that is ideal , I spose the question is has anyone here previously had a model Y and how does it compare to the xpower obviously I know it’s smaller but ride comfort, charging etc ?

Last edited by a moderator:
My work has just introduced a salary sacrifice scheme for evs so i been out test driving different ones apart from the mg4 xpower which I randomly came across on YouTube and was immediately intrigued, at the top of my list at the moment is the tesla model Y, I have 2 kids so the space in that is ideal , spose the question is has anyone here previously had a model Y and how does it compare to the xpower obviously I know it’s smaller but ride comfort charging ect ?
Not from a model Y but 3.5 years and 67k miles in a model 3 SR+

I’m assuming you’ll be looking at the base rwd model Y? So model Y is a bigger car, particularly in boot space but the MG4 is still very practical. The software and Tesla supercharger network is infinitely better so if you regularly do long trips, the Tesla is a no-brainer. The model Y was the best selling car in the UK last year for a good reason.

Having said that, the X-Power is significantly quicker, will be more fun to drive and is ‘something different’. It’s flawed in many ways but has character, something Tesla’s really really don’t have.

So if you go with your head, Model Y no question. If you go with you heart, X-Power everyday.

Personally I found Teslas to be efficient appliances - the x-power is actually fun.

Not from a model Y but 3.5 years and 67k miles in a model 3 SR+

I’m assuming you’ll be looking at the base rwd model Y? So model Y is a bigger car, particularly in boot space but the MG4 is still very practical. The software and Tesla supercharger network is infinitely better so if you regularly do long trips, the Tesla is a no-brainer. The model Y was the best selling car in the UK last year for a good reason.

Having said that, the X-Power is significantly quicker, will be more fun to drive and is ‘something different’. It’s flawed in many ways but has character, something Tesla’s really really don’t have.

So if you go with your head, Model Y no question. If you go with you heart, X-Power everyday.

Personally I found Teslas to be efficient appliances - the x-power is actually fun.
Yea would be the rwd model Y , I only do 20mile round trip for work each day and they have chargers there so won’t really be an issue plus the charging at home if needed, yea I just feel the xpower looks to have more character and performance per £ , I will book to give one a test drive and see.

FWIW I've got 3 kids 8 and under, all 3 still in car seats, all 3 fit in the back. XPower all the way- test drove Model Y Performance a while back and XPower matches for the initial shove if that matters at all

I would go for the model Y, absolutely no comparison between MG and Tesla, Tesla are in a different league with regards to quality, customer care and all aspects of design. Ive had EV's for the last 7 years, currently a 17 plate i3 and a Sept 23 MG5 Trophy. Theres nothing wrong with MG at all, the software is a bit flaky at times and their customer services appalling but theyre a cheap car (in every sense). Earlier this year I was involved with a survey project that required me to drive a Tesla Model Y around various cities in the UK for 8 hrs+ per day. It was a complete revelation to me just how good they are and when our MG is up for replacement in 3 years Elon will be getting my custom.

Telsa may be the better buy ( I have not driven one ) but I own an X power ..

Things ive found driving my X power for bang for buck makes the X power a great purchase..

AWD: I don't care what anyone says AWD is just better the car feels more planted and safer in winter conditions ..

power is crazy but it lacks economy and in eco mode while perfectly fine to drive it kinda defeats the purpose of 320kw of power because it feels like a turtle ..
( think it disconnects the front motor in eco )

passenger space in the car is quite impressive im quite tall 5'10 and plenty of room for large adults in the back. ( boot space is lacking but unless your dragging prams and heaps of stuff around basic shopping and stuff its plenty big enough )

Price ( i couldnt afford a Tesla ) even still for what you get with the X power its truly a solid buy ..

For the most part it drives and handles really nice..

down sides is it lacks refinement .. software is so so

infotainment works well for the most part

No saved settings which seems to be a poor design choice 1 pedal driving is amazing yet you need to activate it every time ..

lane keep assist is borderline dangerous if your not paying attention / or aware its on which it always is because you cant save the setting to have it off !!

There most likely will be the vibration at 100km/h
( mine is very slight others have complained its worse )

wired carplay is sketchy at best sometimes just works other times you need to pull it out and plug it back in a few times to get it to work..

little design choices that either border on stupid to just cost cutting .. pointing to the stupid wireless phone charger..

No passenger front electric seats .. poor standard tyre choice.. ( really just small cost cutting issues)

Maybe my complaints look bad but ( coming from my 2012 volvo s60 t6 r design with the polestar tune ) the Xpower lacks refinement in some areas but more than makes up for the shortcomings my old arse Volvo had ..

That all said the car is built at a price and in Australia at least its closest rival in the EV market is the BYD seal premium and at AU$74k VS 59k for the Xpower it's a no brainer which is the smarter buy..

Mine has just done over the 7000km mark 1500km of that has been mine ( ex demo car ).

Very happy with the Xpower .. aleast for now i would buy the next X power model when it comes out ( if they sort the issues )

Ohh and i almost forgot ( even though the Xpower is not really economical in EV terms ) at AU$2.20 to $2.50 per litre for 98 octane that I run my volvo on to 65c per kWh charge I've done my 1500km on about $200aud ( added the odd slow charge at home ). I was getting around 500km per tank at around $140aud in the volvo so to run 320kw AWD X power is still way way cheaper !!

edit : 1600km ive done after i got into it this morning still pretty wild ive paid around $200 to do 1600km

Last edited:
Yea would be the rwd model Y , I only do 20mile round trip for work each day and they have chargers there so won’t really be an issue plus the charging at home if needed, yea I just feel the xpower looks to have more character and performance per £ , I will book to give one a test drive and see.
X power every time, I am happy with a 51 and I use Tesla chargers at shopping centres.

I have an XPower on a salary sacrifice scheme and it was the first time I had used this as a method to fund a car. What I would say is you get a simple to use payment method that includes most things and a reduction in your tax. However, the flip side is you cannot find the most reasonable insurance and servicing costs available and in my case I had to buy a new car which will depreciated by £10k in the first 6 months.

I would do the sums on how much a 6 month old ex demo car that you can now pick up for around £25k will cost compared to the salary sacrifice.

Agree with everyone's thoughts on efficiency, in the Winter you will be looking at 2.7 miles per kWh in Eco mode, put it in sport mode for permanent 4 wheel drive and you will be closer to 2.4 miles per kWh. Software is flakey but usable, In terms of fun and blast-ability it is a great car. If you are travelling less than 150 miles a week then you could probably get away with a single charge to 80%. For long trips just use the Tesla network it is the fastest, cheapest and most reliable with a 10-20 minute stop giving you enough charge to get to the next charge stop.

I have an XPower on a salary sacrifice scheme and it was the first time I had used this as a method to fund a car. What I would say is you get a simple to use payment method that includes most things and a reduction in your tax. However, the flip side is you cannot find the most reasonable insurance and servicing costs available ....
... and salary sacrifice (probably) reduces your pension contributions - something to bear in mind if you're in a Defined Contributions pension scheme. (As opposed to a Defined Benefits scheme - often referred to as a Final Salary scheme - reduced contributions matter less in that case).

I'm with johnb80, the Xpower is a great drive and I love mine but MG UK themselves are terrible for communication, getting parts , long delays for servicing and repair and they just fob you off over the X-Power vibration issue.

The Tesla would be a lot more practical space wise plus you'd have use of the complete Tesla Supercharger network. They also have far better software with regular OTA updates that work !

I have an XPower on a salary sacrifice scheme and it was the first time I had used this as a method to fund a car. What I would say is you get a simple to use payment method that includes most things and a reduction in your tax. However, the flip side is you cannot find the most reasonable insurance and servicing costs available and in my case I had to buy a new car which will depreciated by £10k in the first 6 months.

I would do the sums on how much a 6 month old ex demo car that you can now pick up for around £25k will cost compared to the salary sacrifice.

Agree with everyone's thoughts on efficiency, in the Winter you will be looking at 2.7 miles per kWh in Eco mode, put it in sport mode for permanent 4 wheel drive and you will be closer to 2.4 miles per kWh. Software is flakey but usable, In terms of fun and blast-ability it is a great car. If you are travelling less than 150 miles a week then you could probably get away with a single charge to 80%. For long trips just use the Tesla network it is the fastest, cheapest and most reliable with a 10-20 minute stop giving you enough charge to get to the next charge stop.
So my scheme includes insurance servicing and home installed charger, I have booked to give one a test drive it’s also £200 a month cheaper than the model Y (net)

It's unwise to pay too much, but it's unwise to pay too little.
When you pay too much you lose a little money, that is all.
When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing you bought it to do.

It's unwise to pay too much, but it's unwise to pay too little.
When you pay too much you lose a little money, that is all.
When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing you bought it to do.
All true but given that many people buying these days are stretching themselves to buy any EV (people with money are on their 3rd or 4th already)...

When you can't afford much, the cheapest option may be your only option.

All true but given that many people buying these days are stretching themselves to buy any EV (people with money are on their 3rd or 4th already)...

When you can't afford much, the cheapest option may be your only option.
Yep, agreed, there's also an argument for a used higher quality EV as opposed to new one but not for salary sacrifice though.

Yep, agreed, there's also an argument for a used higher quality EV as opposed to new one but not for salary sacrifice though.
Yes, used EVs make a lot of sense right now with the reduction in values and rapid pace of change in the market. With some of the new EVs launching over the next 2 years, values could well go lower still.

Yes, used EVs make a lot of sense right now with the reduction in values and rapid pace of change in the market. With some of the new EVs launching over the next 2 years, values could well go lower still.
From a mechanical point of view EV's are less complex and easier to produce. The batteries are improving in performance, capacity and cost so they really should come down a lot.

From a mechanical point of view EV's are less complex and easier to produce. The batteries are improving in performance, capacity and cost so they really should come down a lot.
Agree but main stream manufacturers are struggling to make the switch. This month Ford revealed that they have made a substantial loss on every EV they've sold so far so until they can all adjust their business models to suit, I can't see an imminent reduction in EV prices.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom