This is why I purchased the LR rather than the SR

MichaelJHunt

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Being a Saturday, and a glorious day weather-wise, my wife and I went out adventuring in the ZS. We were away for a lot of the day and when returned had done just over 200 miles of driving.

Before I even had time to plug the car in we had a call from my daughter, her partner had locked the keys in the boot of their car. Could I pick up the spare key from their home and rescue them?

Well, another 50 mile round trip. Off I went and returned home with 10 miles range left.

So 263 miles today on a single charge, 53 miles of that unplanned.

This is one of the many reasons I am so pleased with the LR ZS EV :)

Last edited:
Real test for me will be doing to my mate’s place near Wadebridge at the end of September- 273 miles from The Shire.

Doubtful I can do it in one hit, won’t stop me trying though!
I reckon with a bit of thought to the right foot, you will be fine.

Let us know how it goes mate👍

Real test for me will be doing to my mate’s place near Wadebridge at the end of September- 273 miles from The Shire.

Doubtful I can do it in one hit, won’t stop me trying though!

You will need to average around 4.4 miles /kWh - not too difficult in Summer, but impossible in Winter.

EF155892-0D62-4A67-B4FD-5CBEF2B0B9D7.jpeg

You will need to average around 4.4 miles /kWh - not too difficult in Summer, but impossible in Winter.

View attachment 10399
My average is 3.7 most of a time in sumer with air con on and cruise control set to speed limits that is on way to work and back Lincoln to Gainsborough down country roads. I managed 4.4 few times but keeping that consistent for 270 miles would be a difficult task

My average is 3.7 most of a time in sumer with air con on and cruise control set to speed limits that is on way to work and back Lincoln to Gainsborough down country roads. I managed 4.4 few times but keeping that consistent for 270 miles would be a difficult task

Agree. Unless you have been driving EVs for a long time, getting good range is not easy. Using cruise control on country lanes is not good for achieving the best range. Aircon is fine, as is driving in NORMAL mode.

Even so, 270+ miles would be advisable to stop once for a break and charge the car.

Joking aside, when I’ve gone down there in my Insignia (Diesel- how quaint!) I stop at Taunton.

Having checked charger availability, I’ll probably do that this time.
@fatboyfat1981 If you're heading to the west country and are thinking to push on and stop a little further down to charge then just be wary of the Ionity at Cullompton. It is a great place to stop in general as there are a lot of facilities there and really fast charging but..... Depending on when you travel despite being six chargers there is normally a queue. Also it is rare that all six are actually working.

Last time I was there we were the third car waiting to charge, one unit was out of order, another was only charging at 35KW and on free vend due to it being slow. Everybody in their
Porsches and Audi fancy shmancy cars were not interested, as they wanted a quicker rate, and didn't want to charge on it but me with my Ioniq and a max charge of 45KW said 'I'll charge on 35KW' and jumped the queue :D

I guess really it's a headsup as everytime I've stopped there it is not a simple turn up and charge situation.

@fatboyfat1981 If you're heading to the west country and are thinking to push on and stop a little further down charge then just be wary of the Ionity at Cullompton. It is a great place to stop in general as there are a lot of facilities there and really fast charging but..... Depending on when you travel despite being six chargers there is normally a queue. Also it is rare that all six are actually working.

Last time I was there we were the third car waiting to charge, one unit was out of order, another was only charging at 35KW and on free vend due to it being slow. Everybody in their
Porsches and Audi fancy shmancy cars were not interested, as they wanted a quicker rate, and didn't want to charge on it but me with my Ioniq and a max charge of 45KW said 'I'll charge on 35KW' and jumped the queue :D

I guess really it's a headsup as everytime I've stopped there it is not a simple turn up and charge situation.
Cheers for the tip mate, appreciated

I was watching this with interest until I realised I go to Wadebridge the week before you. 🤦‍♂️ my trip is a bit less from this part of the shires at 213 miles but any tips of best times to travel for easy access to chargers or good charge places gratefully received, charging infrastructure seems a bit short of fast chargers in North Cornwall. car will be fully loaded with adults, luggage and dog.

Agree. Unless you have been driving EVs for a long time, getting good range is not easy. Using cruise control on country lanes is not good for achieving the best range. Aircon is fine, as is driving in NORMAL mode.

Even so, 270+ miles would be advisable to stop once for a break and charge the car.
With 270 miles drive I would probably stop at least one for a quick stretch and a wee. 15 min stop at gridserve for those things would add no extra time because I would do it in petrol car anyway and would easily mean this distance is safe to go. In my SR I need to stop ever 2.5 to 3 hours anyway. By the time my car loan is paid off I expect 300+ miles to be standard by which point blades anxiety will take over range anxiety

I was watching this with interest until I realised I go to Wadebridge the week before you. 🤦‍♂️ my trip is a bit less from this part of the shires at 213 miles but any tips of best times to travel for easy access to chargers or good charge places gratefully received, charging infrastructure seems a bit short of fast chargers in North Cornwall. car will be fully loaded with adults, luggage and dog.
There aren’t a lot, however the ones in Wadebridge & Padstow should be fine for my purposes

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom