sachrisinuk

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Just got back from month's trip from Kent, UK, to Occitanie (south of France) and back in our our ZS EV LR.
Thought I'd share some thoughts and our experience for anyone wanting to a similar trip.

1. Best app to have: ChargePass - so sorry we only figured this out two days before leaving. France EV charge points have this annoying requirement to 'tap an RFID card'. This seems to be the norm for almost all EV points we used. Apps are very much second class and only the odd exception accepts contactless direct payments. We were recommended to get the Fulli app (and card) but it only worked on about about 1/3 of all the charge points we tried. The ChargePass app is brilliant (although if we had had our card before we left, it would have been even easier!). You type in your destination, and it finds EV charge points that meet your requirements (we chose 100kw min and at least 25% charge). Once you have your route, click send to GPS and move it to Google Maps. Brilliant.
2. Easiest to use charge providers: Ionity (soo easy - just app needed), FastNed (easy too, just app needed), Total Energies (mostly ok, but rather variable on how to start the charge).
3. We ended up having to download nearly 20 apps to use all the different charge points, but used these the most: Ionity, Fulli, Shell Recharge, Reveo, InstaVolt, Electra, TE energies, Electomaps, Freshmile, Indigo Neo, Orios, Pass Pass VE.
4. You NEED data on your phone in France/Belgium to make the apps work. We opted for the Smarty network (cheap, free EU roaming up to 12GB). Also a good idea to download the Google Maps for the area you are going to able to use offline (to minimise data use).
5. Get a good trickle charger. We used our trickle charger at our 3/4 of our AirBnB stays. We offered to pay for electricity use (£30 ish). We got the Vorsprung trickle charger from (Type 2 Portable EV Charger | 10 Metre | UK 3-pin | 6A to 13A Variable). Initially we didn't know how to set it to 10A - it was charging at 13A which made the plug quite hot. But eventually figured out how to change it (disconnect the car, the little screen is a touch screen, swipe down, etc.) Once we had it at 10A it would charge from 20% to 100% in about 20h - not bad.
6. Charging is not cheap. Most chargers cost in the range of 70-80c per kWh. So a full charge for us was normally in the 25-30 euro per charge.
7. Avoid slow chargers if at all possible - it is so sad plugging in, spending ages figuring out how to use the new app, start the charge only to sit there for 30min to only get 10% charge. On the fast chargers we normally managed to get about 75-80kw charging going and that took about 30min to go from 30% to 90%. But charging slows down RAPIDLY when you go from 80 to 100. A good rule is that the bigger the charging station (as in tall), the faster it charges. We didn't pick up any difference between 100, 150 and 350kw chargers - all took the same time.
8. Hotel charging is hit and miss. Some have chargers within walking distance, some have in their carparks, it really depends where you go. The ChargePass app is very good at finding your closest charge point.
9. Underground car parks nearly ALWAYS have chargers, but to activate them without an RFID card is a nightmare. Often the carparks have no mobile signal, so you can't authenticate on an app, meaning unless you have a (ChargePass) RFID card, you are stuck. The only exception was Andorra (admittedly a different country) but all the underground parking ones there were BRILLIANT - no card needed, all done on your car parking ticket. Absolutely brilliant. And almost universally fast chargers. Well done Andorra! Worst carparks were in Toulouse - even their Twitter 'helper' couldn't get it to work. Avoid Inidigo Neo chargers - not worth the hassle.
10. We got the little beeper thingie from Fulli to go through Telepayage (toll gates) - ABSOLUTELY worth the money. Saves having to faff with cards, slips, and other bits - just slow to 30 kmph and drive straight through. Be aware that sometimes you have to drive RIGHT up to the barrier before it opens up.

So in summary (TLDR) - get the ChargePass app, get the ChargePass RFID card, get the Fulli telepayage beepie thing - go and have an EV adventure!

Good info. Off to the Dordogne at the end of next week in my SR.

I got the Chargemap card on a previous recommendation. I also have an Electroverse card, the Mobvie card and a Shell card.

Hoping for the best planning for the worst.

IMO, ABRP is probably the most comprehensive planner with the most options and the ability to integrate with car data.

The Chargecard/map app looks useful in that it incorporates information related to the use of its card and is a fairly clear and easy to use route finder but doesn't have the features etc. of ABRP

IMO, ABRP is probably the most comprehensive planner with the most options and the ability to integrate with car data.

The Chargecard/map app looks useful in that it incorporates information related to the use of its card and is a fairly clear and easy to use route finder but doesn't have the features etc. of ABRP
I personally find the ABRP interface a bit frustrating lately. The original version was much better in my opinion (if it ain't broke, don't fix it).

Tesla super chargers is the cheapest network in France, even without subscription. Found out lately. Very easy to use. If you have a chargemap card, you can link it to your tesla account.

Last edited:
Update on my France trip. Made it down to Cheverny from Yorkshire with zero issues.

We had a small glitch whereby Ionity stations were all taken (with unopened up to non-Tesla stations) at one service area, but there was one random token 60kw ABB unit available so we used that.

Also Lidl chargers are super useful with many French Lidls having a 50kw unit or 100kw shared. They work with the Chargemap card without any problems and are useful if you are planning a longer stop for something to eat.

I am off to France in October so will be going through the thread. I have elecroverse so will want to use that as much as I can as It will come off my home electric bill.

For the fulli motorway tag I see there is an option for ev and you get discount, @sachrisinuk which sub did you go for.

I will need to test tesla network in the UK first I heard some failed charges if you don't have all the updates on the zs ev.

It been many years since Road trip in France, so fingers crossed the experience is good with ev driving, any more helpful France driving tips etc shout my way.

I’m off in a few weeks to south west France In TCLR it’s about a 1000 miles each way. Electroverse and Chargemap will be my main cards with Ellie card and Tesla app as back up for a few planned charging stops. MG UK charged me £120 for the Tesla update and it all works well. Will report back after trip.

Back from our two week trip to the Loire and Dordogne.

No mishaps or broken chargers in France.

We pretty much exclusively used:

Tesla Superchargers: longer stints. 100% reliability and easy to use. And the cheapest!

Lidl: for longer stops when we needed to grab snacks. Most are either 50kw or the same 150kw shared ABB units that some of the Gridserve units that replaced the ElectricHighway units in the UK. Used Chargemap card on these with 100% success.

Ionity. Longer stints. Used Octopus Electroverse card. 100% hit rate.

I also used a few AC MobiVE units in the Dordogne. Some I had issues with though
For example, we took the train from marmande to Bordeaux and left the car at a car park with a MobiVE and it the unit took a huge deposit retainer but then failed to start. So beware of those.

Overall a big success.

France payage/motorway running is higher speed than the UK though, so with a fully loaded car, keep your expectations in check with consumption.

I’m off in a few weeks to south west France In TCLR it’s about a 1000 miles each way. Electroverse and Chargemap will be my main cards with Ellie card and Tesla app as back up for a few planned charging stops. MG UK charged me £120 for the Tesla update and it all works well. Will report back after trip.
Thanks would be good to hear about your experience on the Tesla chargers especially!

Back from our two week trip to the Loire and Dordogne.

No mishaps or broken chargers in France.

We pretty much exclusively used:

Tesla Superchargers: longer stints. 100% reliability and easy to use. And the cheapest!

Lidl: for longer stops when we needed to grab snacks. Most are either 50kw or the same 150kw shared ABB units that some of the Gridserve units that replaced the ElectricHighway units in the UK. Used Chargemap card on these with 100% success.

Ionity. Longer stints. Used Octopus Electroverse card. 100% hit rate.

I also used a few AC MobiVE units in the Dordogne. Some I had issues with though
For example, we took the train from marmande to Bordeaux and left the car at a car park with a MobiVE and it the unit took a huge deposit retainer but then failed to start. So beware of those.

Overall a big success.

France payage/motorway running is higher speed than the UK though, so with a fully loaded car, keep your expectations in check with consumption.
Super update thanks! Did you have a tag to speed up payment at tolls or was it not an issue really? Also what kind of consumption were you getting? I’m going in winter so it’ll only be worse 😂 but good to have a reference!

Super update thanks! Did you have a tag to speed up payment at tolls or was it not an issue really? Also what kind of consumption were you getting? I’m going in winter so it’ll only be worse 😂 but good to have a reference!
For those looking to acquire a tag I found it cheapest to use one of the France based suppliers (Moovi in my case). To open a subscription I needed a euro based bank account. The best way I found to do this was to open a Starling current account, then open an associated euro account and set up direct debit to this. No charge but there is a small transaction fee for conversions. Impressed with Starling more generally.

For those looking to acquire a tag I found it cheapest to use one of the France based suppliers (Moovi in my case). To open a subscription I needed a euro based bank account. The best way I found to do this was to open a Starling current account, then open an associated euro account and set up direct debit to this. No charge but there is a small transaction fee for conversions. Impressed with Starling more generally.
That should be Fulli, not Moovi.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom