Time for a change after 14 months.

Reaction score
Driving
MG5
After just 14 months of owning our first EV, the FL5 is being part exchanged on Saturday :(.
We started the EV journey on mainly local journeys of 25 mile round trips twice a week plus local commuting to and from work (5 miles). However, we've found ourselves travelling more frequently to North and West Wales where the fast charging network, IMO, is sadly lacking. And that's when we started to suffer the dreaded EV range anxiety on these long trips.
So we've made the hard decision to move away from full EV into the PHEV market - enter the Peugeot 308SW 225 PHEV Allure Premium. Enough electric range for commuting with home charging and the knowledge that we have the back up of an ICE for those longer journeys. To top it all, the boot is much bigger than the FL5 (useful for the dogs) and the build quality is head and shoulders over the FL5.
Just to add that the FL5 has been faultless in terms of reliability over the past 14 months. Nothing went wrong, simples.
If and when we do return to an EV, MG would still be on the list in terms of spec and value for money.
The knowledge gained on this forum has been invaluable and has made for a pleasant 14 months. Look after your 5's guys and stay safe.

6ca7779cec724c999244936c0323eaae_004.jpg

Last edited:
We owned a VW PHEV for four years, before going full BEV in 2019.
It was a great car to drive and gave very good returns regarding economy and no range worries of course.
Top Tip :-
Just remember to build in some extra expense when it comes to servicing costs though !.
You are serving two masters when it comes to servicing a part electric car.
You have the normal costs associated to a ICE plus any demands of the EV side of things.
For this reason, I decided to extend the VW three year warranty on an annual basis.
Of course this is an added extra.
I hope you enjoy your new car !.

I have an EV for a week's worth of local journeys without range anxiety, never use a roadside charger so don't have to worry about them working and charge on sunny days that means minimal cost.

I have an ICE vehicle for longer journeys so refills in minutes, tows the caravan as if its not there, no charge to go into ULEZ, takes the trailer down to the dump with ease and can seat 7 if needed.

An MG5 EV and a Euro 6 Discovery 4 Landmark Edition, truly the best combination by far.

Range and charger anxiety are an individual thing. Given the same circumstances many wouldn't blink an eyelid, others would tremble.
Good luck in your future motoring, EVs aren't for everyone yet.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom