Tinted windows uk

MG4London

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
What is the max legal tint in the UK?

Any idea how much it should cost for an MG4 rear windows only?

The MG4 has a particularly small rear window that should be cheaper

Therec as a thread in the ZS part of the forum that might give details of tint levels and a ball park price.

What is the max legal tint in the UK?

Any idea how much it should cost for an MG4 rear windows only?

The MG4 has a particularly small rear window that should be cheaper

The front windscreen must let at least 75% of light through and the front side windows must let at least 70% of light through.

There is no limit technically on the rear windows.

Too low though and you'll struggle to see out of the rears at night with low visibility.

I've nearly always went to 5% on rear side windows and 10-15% on rear view window. But don't see the need now as i'm happy with the tint level on my trophy so won't be lowering it.

The guy I used to tint the windows on our ZS EV ( Gen 1 ) and later our ( Gen 2 ) has been tinting windows for about 15 years now.
His policy is this, if you want your windows tinting from the “B” pillar forward, then take it to somebody else !.
He blankly refuses to tint windows from the “B” pillar forward due to any legal / insurance complications.
From the “B” pillar back, you can in theory have it as dark as you like ( legally ).
However, but consider that when it is raining and dark outside, the visibility through the glass will be greatly reduced, the darker you tint the windows.
Also, if you tint the windows very dark from the “B” pillar back, when you view the car from the side profile, it almost gives the impression that it is like two cars completely stitched together !.
This is because the transition is too radical and defined and looks completely over the top and looks stupid TBH.
A better option is to go for a gradual transition of tint from the front to the rear.
Front windscreen, leave completely alone.
Then a very gradual tint on the front side windows, then SLIGHTLY increase the tint of the rear side windows,
The rear screen can be increased slightly more again IF you consider that is what you require.
This way, it will look more natural from any angle of the car, you wish to view it from.
But again, it’s all down to personal choice I guess ?.

The guy I used to tint the windows on our ZS EV ( Gen 1 ) and later our ( Gen 2 ) has been tinting windows for about 15 years now.
His policy is this, if you want your windows tinting from the “B” pillar forward, then take it to somebody else !.
He blankly refuses to tint windows from the “B” pillar forward due to any legal / insurance complications.
From the “B” pillar back, you can in theory have it as dark as you like ( legally ).
However, but consider that when it is raining and dark outside, the visibility through the glass will be greatly reduced, the darker you tint the windows.
Also, if you tint the windows very dark from the “B” pillar back, when you view the car from the side profile, it almost gives the impression that it is like two cars completely stitched together !.
This is because the transition is too radical and defined and looks completely over the top and looks stupid TBH.
A better option is to go for a gradual transition of tint from the front to the rear.
Then a very gradual tint on the front side windows, then SLIGHTLY increase the tint of the rear side windows,
The rear screen can be increased slightly more again IF you consider that is what you require.
This way, it will look more natural from any angle of the car, you wish to view it from.
This makes a lot of sense thanks for that

No point in getting front windows too dark, you get stopped by the police with a light meter they will just make you peel it off and you just lose your money.

As you know the Gen1 ZS EV and 5 had zero/nada/zilch/none whatsoever factory tint on the windows. Your guy would have lost a job here as those front sides definitely needed some legal tint.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom