Tinting & insurance

I believe the MG5 does not have tinted windows as standard and I've looked at a few threads on MGEV about applying tint film.

Strictly speaking the insurance should be told as it is a modification. Those of you that have done this what response have you had from the insurers?
told mine after tints done and there was zero charge for the modification.

Our "Tint's" are declared on our original policy with the ZS EV Gen1 model in the amendments section and we where NOT charged anything for added the tints.
I have also switched our private number plate and moved from a Gen1 to the new Gen2 model.
All items switched by myself on our General Accident on-line account.
No additional costs have been requested for these changes.

Last edited:
Definitely check with your insurance before you have them installed, Global Tint fitted legal tints today and they did a fantastic job, I called LV to update the policy and they kindly told me it has added £66.00 to my policy 🤯
Hi can I ask which level of tint you went for please? Am looking at getting this done and looked at Global but wasn't sure which level to go for. Thanks

Hi Dekkerb, I went for as dark as legally possible. GT’s we’re great as they bought the tints with them so I could choose, also see attached, thanks.

Attachments

• UK-Window-Tint-Laws.png
    UK-Window-Tint-Laws.png
    2 MB · Views: 95
Hi can I ask which level of tint you went for please? Am looking at getting this done and looked at Global but wasn't sure which level to go for. Thanks
The laws in France are the same as the UK, so we went for the maximum on the front (70% light still passes) and an 80% tint on the rear (allows 20% light through), which looks slightly less 'gangsta' than the 95% tint on our Mercedes.

Tint01.jpeg

Tint02.jpeg

As @Redandbo5ev mentioned though, choose a quality installer that will provide you with options to choose from on the day because photographs always look different to the finished article and having seen them installing the tints, it's certainly a skilled job needing patience, experience and the correct tools.

Legally you are okay to go a dark as you wish from the “B” pillar back !.
Worth remembering that what ever shade you go for, it will be darker looking out when at night or when it has been raining !.
ZS EV Gen1 has pretty much clear glass, where as the Gen2 model has a slight tint to the glass from the factory.
If you go too dark from the “B” pillar back, then the transmission from the rear door to the front door will become very noticeable.
I done to personal choice really.
The guy who tints our cars, has been doing it for over 20 years.
He will not tint from the “B” pillar forward.
But I know Global will !.

I went for the middle tint for the rears, and legal max on the front sides.
For me the darkest tint was too dark.

Thanks for all the replies on on this.
Just to add Admiral quoted just under £10 for the modification. Online quote from GT of £210. Is this around the figure others paid? Will look to get this done soon. PS photos were really helpful, thanks for those and all the replies. This forum is fab!

Just to add Admiral quoted just under £10 for the modification. Online quote from GT of £210. Is this around the figure others paid? Will look to get this done soon. PS photos were really helpful, thanks for those and all the replies. This forum is fab!
That's about standard, the code FB20 when ordering online gets you £20 off.
It a Facebook voucher anybody can use., it's not a referral code.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom