Tonik chargers: who's used them?

AdeB

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
I had to stay overnight in Stevenage earlier this week. According to ZapMap, all the 7kw chargers in public car parks were out of order, so I went for the rapid option the next morning. The town's Asda supermarket has a Tonik charger, a network I didn't know. I went the app route (I have my ZS as my company car, so I need receipts) and I have to say it's one of the simplest, easiest, most intuitive and fastest app/charger combos I've yet used. Everything just works. I'm always comparing EV chargers to a petrol pump for simplicity and ease of use; this was the closest to genuine plug 'n' charge that I've yet found. What's more, from the app, you can download a nice, neat, VAT-compliant PDF receipt that should warm the heart of any accountant :)

The hook-up delivered 18kW in 40 mins, so not the fastest on this occasion but acceptable given that I didn't need to be anywhere.

The only surprise was that on reaching 80% charge, the charger stopped the session automatically. That seemed a good idea, if it's genuinely a design feature - stopping people from 'hogging' a charge point for that last, slow 20%.

I had to stay overnight in Stevenage earlier this week. According to ZapMap, all the 7kw chargers in public car parks were out of order, so I went for the rapid option the next morning. The town's Asda supermarket has a Tonik charger, a network I didn't know. I went the app route (I have my ZS as my company car, so I need receipts) and I have to say it's one of the simplest, easiest, most intuitive and fastest app/charger combos I've yet used. Everything just works. I'm always comparing EV chargers to a petrol pump for simplicity and ease of use; this was the closest to genuine plug 'n' charge that I've yet found. What's more, from the app, you can download a nice, neat, VAT-compliant PDF receipt that should warm the heart of any accountant :)

The hook-up delivered 18kW in 40 mins, so not the fastest on this occasion but acceptable given that I didn't need to be anywhere.

The only surprise was that on reaching 80% charge, the charger stopped the session automatically. That seemed a good idea, if it's genuinely a design feature - stopping people from 'hogging' a charge point for that last, slow 20%.
18kWh ……….

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom