Top tips for newbies

Barney

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
What things do you know now about owning and driving EVs that you wish you had known when you started out ?

Also, what is considered to be best practice in terms of charging routines, etc. ?

For reference I am getting an MG5 Long Range Exclusive in a couple of weeks. I am still in the process of choosing a charger but for the first several weeks I shall be using a granny charger. I expect to do a low mileage (8000-10000 per year). My nearest free public charge points are both Tescos, one 9 miles, the other 12 miles from home.

I wish I had known about the Affinity Scheme.
I used my 'granny' charger until my 7.5kw.
Change your meter to a smart one asap and get on an overnight tariff.
I have loads of other appliances on timers for the 5p/kwh rate.
Enjoy your car.

Try not to leave the granny charger on overnight unless you are very sure of your house electrics.
I have to use mine on a long extention lead and have to make sure not to leave any coiled up as it gets quite hot.

My top tip though is to go lightly on the right foot. It's so easy to end up way past the speed limit with the instant accelleration and zero engine noise to warn you.

What things do you know now about owning and driving EVs that you wish you had known when you started out ?

Also, what is considered to be best practice in terms of charging routines, etc. ?

For reference I am getting an MG5 Long Range Exclusive in a couple of weeks. I am still in the process of choosing a charger but for the first several weeks I shall be using a granny charger. I expect to do a low mileage (8000-10000 per year). My nearest free public charge points are both Tescos, one 9 miles, the other 12 miles from home.

Hi Barney - just enjoy the whole process. It’s quite different to ice car ownership but fairly easy to become accustomed to. We’ve had a ZSev for almost eighteen months now and We’ve just traded it in for a long range five which we should get in a couple of weeks too. Archev

One of the most common mistakes I see new EV drivers making is the assumption that a rapid AC charger can charge their car at the 22 or 43kW shown on the unit - your charging rate on AC is limited by the car’s onboard AC-DC converter, all of MG’s current models AC charge at a maximum of 6.6kW. You need to use a DC rapid charger to charge at the 50kW+ rates you might be expecting.

I have a newb question as a "not quite yet an owner of a MG5" and never an owner of an EV

When charging, does the charger lock to the MG5? If so, presumably the lock is performed by the car, do you just end the charge on the machine and it all unlocks for you?

Does a unlock ever fail?

The type 2 locks in the front of the car when you lock the car. If not someone would nick your cable😭

I have a newb question as a "not quite yet an owner of a MG5" and never an owner of an EV

When charging, does the charger lock to the MG5? If so, presumably the lock is performed by the car, do you just end the charge on the machine and it all unlocks for you?

Does a unlock ever fail?
You can manually release the cable from the car - there are some threads where it hasn't automatically unlocked when charging stops

1630680137076.png

I've had a charger lock onto my car and refuse to let go before (ecotricity ancient piece of c#£p) open the bonnet find the little black string and pull while pulling the charger and off it pops.
No stress.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom