MG5 sat for a while on dealer forecourt

prospectivebuyer

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Hi all.

What an amazing resource this forum is!

I viewed an MG5 LR Exclusive pre face lift today. Pre registered in November 2022 and has 32 miles on the clock. So sat for 9 months doing nothing..

When I turned the ignition on a warning came up for the 12v battery saying it was low.

This will be my first EV so I have no idea about these things.. is this really bad for the cars battery & motor to just sit doing nothing for 9 months? Or am I over thinking it???

I didn’t check the degradation with the dealer so that is something I will definitely do before purchase.

Also weird thing was I couldn’t get the DAB to work as in it was greyed out and you couldn’t select it.

Cheers

The 12 volt battery shouldn't be a problem . I would expect it to be low if it had stood there for 9 months . Can't see there be a problem a problem with the motor or the HV battery ( it's unlikely that the SOC of the HV battery would have been at 100% all that time ) .
As long as you have the dealer to check and fill out a report ( HV SOH especially ) , you should be good to go

Hi all.

I viewed an MG5 LR Exclusive pre face lift today. Pre registered in November 2022 and has 32 miles on the clock. So sat for 9 months doing nothing..

When I turned the ignition on a warning came up for the 12v battery saying it was low.

This will be my first EV so I have no idea about these things.. is this really bad for the cars battery & motor to just sit doing nothing for 9 months? Or am I over thinking it???

I didn’t check the degradation with the dealer so that is something I will definitely do before purchase.

Also weird thing was I couldn’t get the DAB to work as in it was greyed out and you couldn’t select it.

Cheers
Some 5s shipped we with no DAB chip in the radio and had a USB plugin workaround that stuck on the windscreen. Dealers implied this was temporary, MGs reply was that it was the permenant solution.

Get the dealer to test/replace the 12v battery, apart from that I reckon you're good to go. LGUK up there ^ has your answer re DAB, if the USB one is not there get them to give you money off, there are plenty of inexpensive aftermarket DAB addon radios.

Hi all.

Cheers
Test Drive it and make sure it doesn't throw any "Check HV battery" warnings, There was a problem with some of the late 2022 Pre Facelifts that caused them to throw "Check HV battery" and go into limp mode.

It seems this problem was caused by a software/hardware incompatibility and MG released a software update to fix it, if it was one of the affected ones providing it's had the software update it shouldn't be a problem but it's something to be aware of.

Regarding the 12v battery it depends on how low it got, if it's not too low then it will probably just need a charge, if it has gotten to low then the dealer should replace it, it's a fairly standard car battery so that should be easy enough for them to sort. (It's used to power the computers.etc and throw the contactors to connect the main battery when you start up the car)

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom