Tow Bar Experience

Dick Wolff

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Anyone got a towbar experience with the MG5 long-range estate? We're replacing our old Peugeot 307 estate with it, and we could get two ebikes on a towbar carrier plus another bike, a folding electric mobility scooter and luggage inside that!

MG are really uncommunicative about towbars. I think they basically don't want people to fit them for some reason. I can't get a straight answer from the dealer. Witter aren't helping much either.

Click on the search button at the top right.
Once there click on 'search threads' (in the blue line above the box for keywords).
Now enter towbar as search item and further down select MG5 Forum.

You will find lots of results, many are for the Mk2 MG5 so ignore those and look for the others.

Hope this helps. :)

Several have said they are the same as Chevrolet Cruze but I haven't seen anyone say that they have tried one.

Dealer told me yesterday (Nov 16 22) that the new MG5 Long Range released early this month is approved for towbars, that MG don't supply them but that they have sent the drawings/technical info to Witter. Spoke to Witter and they might get around around to thinking about developing a kit sometime in 2023. However, the new MG5 has 3 or 4 'control circuits' (presumably for lights and other services) whereas our model only has one. So I don't know (a) whether the towbar kit, when it's produced, will fit my model's chassis and (b) whether the electrics will work with it.
MG really need to get their act together on this. It's billed as an estate car - which I suppose it is, just - but I would expect an estate car to be able to tow at least lightweight trailers or carry a towbar mounted bike rack.
There is an issue about regenerative braking on front wheel only leading to loss of traction on rear wheels when towing, but this should not be an issue with a towbar mounted rack or with a braked trailer. Come on, guys, it's basic.

The fact that the MG5 EV has no towing capabilities is not that dissimilar to a number of other BEVs, particularly until recently. It isn't until the release of the ID4 has VW included towing capabilities. In particular revamped ICE chassis often lost their access to towbar fixings with the need to incorporate the battery tray. Then you add in the extra mass of the battery as well and the brakes are already working harder.

The new Ioniq 5 has the limited ability to tow up to 500Kg and that is a from the drawing board an EV chassis The MK2 Leaf cannot tow but one company does provide a towbar to fit for the sole purpose of carrying a bike rack.

The absolute emphasis of the progress with BEVs is about range and even towing a trailer tent can knock 25-30% off of its range, how many would accept that? Then you are probably having to consider a simple round trip. Stopping at an en-route charger is normally nose or tail in which means you will have to unhitch for the duration.

MG really need to get their act together on this. It's billed as an estate car - which I suppose it is, just - but I would expect an estate car to be able to tow at least lightweight trailers or carry a towbar mounted bike rack.
There is an issue about regenerative braking on front wheel only leading to loss of traction on rear wheels when towing, but this should not be an issue with a towbar mounted rack or with a braked trailer. Come on, guys, it's basic.
There is no 'just' about it, it IS an estate car, but forget about that and instead think would I expect a BEV to be able to tow. As mentioned above very few did and still do.
And yes regenerative braking is only on the front wheels, it a front wheel drive mounted motor. Is a lack of regenerative braking an issue on front wheel drive ICE vehicles when towing ?

In our case, we don't need to carry bikes very far so it would be well within the range of an MG5. I accept it would be a problem going long distance. We'll be taking bikes to the Netherlands next Spring and would probably not use it for that. The issue is whether we can afford to let our old Peugeot go and just hire for longer bike runs if we need to. At present we can't because it's the only way we can carry bikes.

The underside around the spare wheel well looks like there are no modifications for the battery system so it is highly likely that, if you could get a tow bar for the original Roewe it would still fit.

However to tow the Gross Train Weight has to be greater than the Gross Vehicle Weight on the VIN plate. If not then it cannot tow.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom