TPMS resetting

AllanO

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
I have been using a set of winter wheels/tyres on my MG HS PHEV for the last few months and now want to switch back to the OE summer set. The winter wheels have their own TPMS sensors installed. When I switched the tyres the TPMS CPU was reset by my local dealer during a routine service but I would rather be able to do this myself when I switch. I am considering purchasing an Autel Maxi TPMS TS 508 tool to do this. I want to connect to the OBD II port on the car to switch the sensors. I think that this is positioned behind the small storage flap on the right of the steering wheel but I have not been able to remove this flap to see. Does anyone know how to remove this and has anyone had experience of switching wheels/tyres and TPMS?

If you are looking for the OBD II port it is on the left of the steering column under the dash and very close to where it joins the center console. I was not looking for it but noticed it when trying to line up the MG HS drivers mat that is canted too far left in the foot-well.

Yes the OBD port is right by the driver’s left knee. Just bend down and look in the footwell and you will clearly see it. It is the fuse box that is behind the storage flap on the right side.

I admire your DIY efforts but won't it take along time to get back the money invested in an Autel Maxi TPMS TS 508, when you may only use it twice a year? I lived near Salisbury for a fair while (The Wallops) and never thought of putting winter tyres on as it never got consistently cold enough most winters. I must be missing something. Happy to be educated though.

I admire your DIY efforts but won't it take along time to get back the money invested in an Autel Maxi TPMS TS 508, when you may only use it twice a year? I lived near Salisbury for a fair while (The Wallops) and never thought of putting winter tyres on as it never got consistently cold enough most winters. I must be missing something. Happy to be educated though.
Just got back from skiing in the French Alps where they take a dim view if you get stuck in the snow or ice without winter tyres. I also have snow chains and socks but they are a pain to put on and not much use if there is little depth of snow on the roads. Major improvement in grip with winter over summer tyres and mean you only need the chains in severe conditions. All weather tyres are a compromise between both. Used to switch between winter and summer tyres on the same rims with my previous car but £80 a time to change the tyres and it doesn't really do the tyres much good. You will get charged a hours labour to get TPMS reset and at current hourly rates the Autel will pay for itself in 2years and I won't have the hassle of booking the car in.

Just got back from skiing in the French Alps where they take a dim view if you get stuck in the snow or ice without winter tyres. I also have snow chains and socks but they are a pain to put on and not much use if there is little depth of snow on the roads. Major improvement in grip with winter over summer tyres and mean you only need the chains in severe conditions. All weather tyres are a compromise between both. Used to switch between winter and summer tyres on the same rims with my previous car but £80 a time to change the tyres and it doesn't really do the tyres much good. You will get charged a hours labour to get TPMS reset and at current hourly rates the Autel will pay for itself in 2years and I won't have the hassle of booking the car in.
Gott ya I lived in Germany for many years where rules were the same. Not a great system then really, you should just be able to replace your standard tyres and do a soft reset (baseline) on the touch screen rather than an OBDI reset. Most cars can do that but just went out and looked closer and its not available. As you say not many other options really except for flying to the alps and keeping standard tyres on car for UK winter.

Luckily I have full blown Summer tyres on all year round as I live in Gozo, Malta. All season tyres don't last long here. My Malta spec car is UK but speedo is in Kms. I replaced all the tyres from new and have the all round northern europe tyres in garage to be fitted when I take car to UK on holiday.
Last year 169 continuous days with no rain here. Ho Hum

That would be a nice drive which route would you use and how long would it take. We love Malta and had a timeshare here for 25 years (Qawra). Still come at least once a year (Christmas 22 next visit). I presume you escape to UK for our cooler summer?

Have absolutely no plans to visit UK for at least 2 years when it is so warm here. When we do it will be via new super cat to Pozzalo (Sic) or new service to just south of Catania, then to Palermo, then ferry to Genoa. I have done Italy transit too many times so don’t need the culture or the pasta anymore.

July Aug too "warm" for me. Gozo will be better but too many vehicles on these small islands now.

Population and vehicles almost the same.

Still a great place to live. Nice one.

Hello Everyone
please share the step to use autel ts508 for MG4 or MG ZS EV
I have borrowed autel ts508 but no configuration for MG4 and MG ZS EV tpms
is there a way to get this setting TPMS for MG EV car?
Thank you

Hello @Doug on Wurundjeri land
Good morning

no yet thank you

How can i select EU database ?

if you can tell me step by step please sorry i am new to this device
Have a great day
Marto
  • power on TS508
  • scroll to "My Device", Y to select
  • scroll to "2 Setting", Y to select
  • on "1 Market", Y to select
  • you will see options of different geographical areas. In current software they are Europe, America, Japan, Korea, Australia. Select "Europe".
  • exit with N, N, N.

Check what models you now see in MG.

Another issue is that the TS508 needs the web update to the most recent software. The factory delivered Vehicle DB - 1.78 on this years TS508s - will probably not help you.

You mention you've borrowed the unit. If it needs updating, I think you need the registered owner to update it, the serial numbers are all registered with Autel.

• power on TS508
  • scroll to "My Device", Y to select
  • scroll to "2 Setting", Y to select
  • on "1 Market", Y to select
  • you will see options of different geographical areas. In current software they are Europe, America, Japan, Korea, Australia. Select "Europe".
  • exit with N, N, N.

Check what models you now see in MG.

Another issue is that the TS508 needs the web update to the most recent software. The factory delivered Vehicle DB - 1.78 on this years TS508s - will probably not help you.

You mention you've borrowed the unit. If it needs updating, I think you need the registered owner to update it, the serial numbers are all registered with Autel.

thank you for the step by step. i will try it

i will ask my friend to update it if necessary
Have a great day

Thank you @Doug on Wurundjeri land

yes after i changed it to Europe database . i can scan all 4 of my tpms without any issue.

Thank you again for sharing
Have a great day

Thank you again until today no more error pop up on my MG after i have re-learn it
All the best
take care

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom