Trade-in valuation when buying MG

RetiredPope

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
We are trading in our Leaf for the ZS EV LR Trophy. When we did the deal in May22 with a predicted delivery of eptember 22 ( LOL ), we were told the trade-in price was guaranteed. However, on reading the contract terms it appears that for every 30 days after failure to deliver they can reduce the trade-in value by 2.5%. Given that deliveries are taking so long, this could be a significant amount.

Anyone had there traded-in value reduced?

Given that in May last year they must have known that delivery would have been post September, does this make enforcement of the contract dubious?

In out case, given we are taking delivery in March, this could be an £1,200 to pay.

JustEV's tried it on with me and I pointed out that I could get more with Motorway, WBAC etc (but didn't want the hassle). They then said they would have to renegotiate the sale price. When I pointed out that the email I received said the price was guaranteed, we agreed to stick to the original deal. However, that was before the secondhand values started to drop. Might have been a different story if my car was delivered now.

I think Miles said on the last pod cast, that due to long wait times for EV’s now, they have had to reluctantly stopped guaranteeing valuations on trade in prices any more.
In fact, I think they stopped doing this last summer !.
Wait times on new orders for LR ZS EV’s have drifted right out to over 12 months !.
Honestly, you are likely to get the new ZS EV on the new platform at that rate !.
I mean, who orders a new car and expects to get it in 12 - 18 months !.

Last edited:
Hi I ordered my ZS EV LR 11 months ago we agreed the part exchange price, as my car will be delivered in March the dealer has re assessed the part exchange deal knocking a fair bit off the agreed price, so I sold it privately and made a £1000 more than the dealer was offering, what annoys me I’ve hardly been using the car to keep the mileage down, my wife was a bit annoyed been using her car mostly for the past 11 months.:)

Hi I ordered my ZS EV LR 11 months ago we agreed the part exchange price, as my car will be delivered in March the dealer has re assessed the part exchange deal knocking a fair bit off the agreed price, so I sold it privately and made a £1000 more than the dealer was offering, what annoys me I’ve hardly been using the car to keep the mileage down, my wife was a bit annoyed been using her car mostly for the past 11 months.:)
Used prices are trending downwards so you can understand them wanting to build that in to any offer.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom