Transferring a private reg?

DaevM

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE LR
Hi,
I'll be collecting my first ever brand new car MG4 as soon as physically possible beginning of March (1st?). It will come on a '24 plate. As it is the first time of buying new in 43 years of driving I've bought a private reg to mark the auspicious occasion (again, a first for me). I intend to take the glory of driving a 'new reg' ('24) around for a few weeks, giving folks that enjoy spotting new reg cars something to do, before swapping onto the private reg (b'day 23/03 so probably target date).
Question:- from what I can gather reading the DVLA website this seems a fairly simple, free and straightforward process but the company I've bought the reg from are repeatedly mailing me reminding me I haven't taken their transfer option (£40+). I'm reasonably competent admin-wise.
Am I missing something?

This is what I believe, I could be wrong and I'm sure someone will correct me.

If you acquire the reg from DVLA the transfer fee is included but as you have bought it from a company then I think you have to pay.

The company will have put the number on a retainer so that fee will be included in the price you paid but you need to pay either the company who will do the paperwork and pay the DVLA or do it yourself and pay DVLA directly to put it on your car.

Thanks Ian 👍.
I've paid the company an £80 "DVLA fee" , which is what I assume is what you are referring to. The company will then provide me with a document V750/V778, which shows I'm the owner of the reg. I can then transfer to my intended vehicle at my leisure, for free if I've read dvla correctly.

Just found this. Looks like I might have my answer. Moderators please delete thread if this us useless duplication or leave if you feel it might be useful. Thanks, Dave.

" What is the DVLA fee you are asking me to pay? What is that for?​

The DVLA fee is the fee charged by the DVLA to re-register your car under the new number and issue replacement documents. This fee is payable upfront when you buy your private number plate. Even if we are supplying you with a Certificate to be transferred to a car at some point in the future.

Do I have to pay another fee when I put the registration number on my car?​

You don't need to pay again when you apply to have your number plate transferred to your car. "

Good to know and £40 saved for the charging costs piggy bank 👍

All straight forward when I did it, I bought a plate direct from the DVLA. Biggest hassle was getting the new plates made as I wanted a non-standard size for the rear so I could get rid of the black bar that comes on the 5.
Remember when you click that button on the DVLA to transfer the new reg to your car you need the plates on the car before it hits the road again, the DVLA switch is instant.

You can put the plate on your car online in 5 minutes! On the official government private plate website. All you do next is inform your insurance company (some charge £10 admin fee). That's it, you will automatically receive a new logbook in the post.

The DVLA transfer fee is included in the purchase price so putting a plate on is free. When you take one off it costs £80 and you get a retention certificate in the post. I've had private plates for 30 years. You used to have to drive to DVLA in Preston & stand in a queue with all your paperwork. Nowadays it’s instant online. I suspect the company you bought it from want £40 extra to assign it online (which you can do yourself free as above). Hope this helps you & enjoy your new car.

Finally you need documentation to get plates made up, however I order them off ebay normally & they're here next day. 🫡

Thanks KMC. Ordered them as part of the service . Only a couple of quid more than the cheaper ones i was coming across. Informed earlier they're on the way today with associated docs.

Just found this. Looks like I might have my answer. Moderators please delete thread if this us useless duplication or leave if you feel it might be useful. Thanks, Dave.

" What is the DVLA fee you are asking me to pay? What is that for?​

The DVLA fee is the fee charged by the DVLA to re-register your car under the new number and issue replacement documents. This fee is payable upfront when you buy your private number plate. Even if we are supplying you with a Certificate to be transferred to a car at some point in the future.

Do I have to pay another fee when I put the registration number on my car?​

You don't need to pay again when you apply to have your number plate transferred to your car. "

Good to know and £40 saved for the charging costs piggy bank 👍
IF you have an online policy you can sometimes avoid the admin fee by changing the reg number manually rather than ringing them 👍

You COULD get the dealer apply your private plate straight onto the car, by using the retention document, then it will be ready for the collection on its private plate.
As the private plate IS going onto the car anyway, I can’t really see the point myself ?.
This would make matters much easier than having to ( maybe ) pay to switch insurance details and then having to inform the dealer ( as the car on the MG system will be tracked by the original plate number ) and then the MG recovery services and another V5 document ( which will be automated of course ).
It just gets a bit messy otherwise really.
Personally, I have always opted to bring my cars home on my private plate ( if at all possible ).

Fair enough. As this is a combination of my first ever new car, being collected possibly on the first day of a new reg ( '24) and first ever private plate, I want to provide those who enjoy new reg spotting with something to do. 3 weeks after I collect it is my birthday, so happy bday to me, happy b'day to me, time to put the private reg on which may also fool the neighbours into thinking we've had 2 new cars inside a month 😂.
Infantile I know and each to their own I suppose, but as it's probably a first and last ( grand old age of 63 ), I'm going for it. Hope this helps clarify matters for you.
Dave 😉

Fair enough. As this is a combination of my first ever new car, being collected possibly on the first day of a new reg ( '24) and first ever private plate, I want to provide those who enjoy new reg spotting with something to do. 3 weeks after I collect it is my birthday, so happy bday to me, happy b'day to me, time to put the private reg on which may also fool the neighbours into thinking we've had 2 new cars inside a month 😂.
Infantile I know and each to their own I suppose, but as it's probably a first and last ( grand old age of 63 ), I'm going for it. Hope this helps clarify matters for you.
Dave 😉
Cheers Dave !.
As the registrations change every six months, then a car never looks brand new for very long anymore 🤣.

As someone from the other side of the world, a once British Subject (according to my 60s vintage passport), and only occasionally having the chance to tread your green and pleasant land can you tell me the story of the green strip seen on sone EV plates? Is it stock or an option you have to ask for? Can it be added to a private plate? And can you have anything you want printed on a private plate over there?

Here’s mine just to show off:

IMG_2161.jpeg

The green stripe is an option that can only be used by zero emission vehicles.

You can find more information here about what's allowed in the UK

IF you have an online policy you can sometimes avoid the admin fee by changing the reg number manually rather than ringing them 👍
That's what I did, now that you have reminded me, I was with Flow at the time, no cost

The green stripe is an option that can only be used by zero emission vehicles.

You can find more information here about what's allowed in the UK

That's an interesting link, but it doesn't mention the green stripe as far as I can see.

When I picked up Caliban his number plates had the green stripe and I had no idea what it was, but once I worked it out I started seeing them everywhere. I don't know what it's for though, because it doesn't seem to be needed to get you into a LEZ or anything like that. I gather that's done on actual reg number recognition.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom