• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Travel through France

SimmieC

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi all,
I'm a newbie to this site and will be picking up my new MG ZS EV next week from our local dealer in Tressilac just outside of Periguex (that's France by the way).
My situation/question is this..
In the middle of July I need to return to the UK for a wedding (COVID restrictions allowing) and I'm umm'ing and arr'ing if I should take the MG.
First of all does anyone have any comments or experience of French charging stations (I'll be traveling from Limoges to Eurotunnel Calias) and which ones to avoid.
Secondly, I'm assuming it will be hot therefore any tips on driving modes/styles and what to use and not use (A/C or windows - Google maps on my phone or on the onboard GPS etc).
Also traveling at motorway speeds 60-70 mph, what sort of m/kwh would you expect. So I can plan my stops.
Finally, what equipment is run of the 12v battery??
I know it's a lot of questions but if you don't ask you don't get.
Thanks
Simon

Can't really help with French charging but I'm sure there must be an app that covers the locations.
Regards the 12v, it runs the same things that the 12v runs on an ICE car.

Nice area there. My brother used to live not far from Periguex in a small place Corgnac-sur-L'Isle (Nr Thiviers on the road from Perigeux to Limoges) so know the area quite well.

Please report back what you decide to do/how it went, I think we would all be interested, I certainly would.

Last edited:
Hi all,
I'm a newbie to this site and will be picking up my new MG ZS EV next week from our local dealer in Tressilac just outside of Periguex (that's France by the way).
In the middle of July I need to return to the UK for a wedding (COVID restrictions allowing) and I'm umm'ing and arr'ing if I should take the MG.
First of all does anyone have any comments or experience of French charging stations (I'll be traveling from Limoges to Eurotunnel Calias) and which ones to avoid.
Secondly, I'm assuming it will be hot therefore any tips on driving modes/styles and what to use and not use (A/C or windows - Google maps on my phone or on the onboard GPS etc).
Also traveling at motorway speeds 60-70 mph, what sort of m/kwh would you expect. So I can plan my stops.
Thanks
Simon
Try a better route planner for these type of trip (BRP)

Bonjour Simon,
Congratulations on the new car. With the car fully charged, and in hot weather, you should be able to do 130-150 miles on the motorway, depending how much weight you have in your car and your speed. 60mph seems to be the consensus for good milage.

Then once you've charged at a rapid charger, assuming you don't wait for a full charge, look for a next next stop around 100miles. 10-80% charged generally take 40mins, once you get past 80% it can start slowing down, hence why people generally only charge upto 80/90%.

Aircon will reduce your range by 10% but I generally blast it for 5mins until we get cold then turn it off for a bit!

Everyone has their own thoughts about the driving modes - on motorways I generally put it in regen 1 and use the cruise control, unless it's particularly hilly. In which case I turn off ACC but still have it on regen 1 so it doesn't slow the car too much.

The only things that don't use the 12v battery are the engine and the aircon. Everything else shouldn't take up any of the main battery, although of course the main battery is charging up the 12v. it's nothing that one needs to worry about really.

Hope you manage to make it over,
cheers
nick

ps. Chargemap is pretty good for European chargers, and it has a decent interface. Am hoping it will work for a Bibao to Portugal trip in August if we allowed to travel by then.

Very interested in your experience when you do the trip. I want to go to Menton - South of France from UK after lockdown. A Better Route Planner assures me that it is feasible.
Good luck.
Picking up my ZS EV today.

Hi all,
Thanks
Simon
Simon,

Take a look at this blog. It's kept up-to-date and has loads of great information on charging in France:

The ultimate guide to driving electric around France — electricfelix

I'd try and see if you can plan a journey using mostly Ionity and Total chargers.

This might be handy also:

Wow thank you all so much!
I have joined Chargemap and Izivia (EDF) and received a card from both.
Obviously I'll let you all know how my journey goes and I will be making notes as I go!!
Chargemap has a good website and now armed with the knowledge of speed and how many miles I can expect I will try the planer on both Chargemap and BRP (good to have plan A and B).
I think it's a good call (EWD) to stick to Ionity or Total chargers, hopefully they will be the most reliable!!
I've done the route so many times (I've lived in France for over 20 years) but this time it will be a new experience. Normally It's fill up the night before and go!!! Average speed on motorways 130 kph and be at Calais 7 hours 30 mins afterward. But this time 110kph stop every 100'ish miles and be there whenever!! I'm getting older (50 this year) and the idea of being forced to take it slow is one, my wife especially, finds attractive.
Thanks again and if you think of anything else please, please let me know..
Simon

You could also install the Shell Recharge App (previously NewMotion) They'll send you an RFID for free. They have a massive European Network. If the other two RFIDs run into problems this may help.

Travel through France is no problem, using public chargers is easier than the UK because of roaming agreements between operators. A ChargeMap RFID card will activate nearly all charge points in the whole country. Use ChargeMap to find charge points and check status. I wrote a blog to document travelling around Europe via EV: European EV Road Trip Part 1: RFID, Apps and Planning

You could also install the Shell Recharge App (previously NewMotion) They'll send you an RFID for free. They have a massive European Network. If the other two RFIDs run into problems this may help.
Can you tell me how these bloody cards work please? I picked my car up yesterday I’ve driven 270 miles to my holiday destination with various apps and cards but ended up using my credit card at 2 locations to charge up 1 took £25 for £7.80 worth of charge and the other one took £25 for about the same how do I use them and is there any point in using them? Sorry I really can’t get my head round this plus her indoors is chewing my ear off about £25 being taken for £7.80 any help please?

Can you tell me how these bloody cards work please? I picked my car up yesterday I’ve driven 270 miles to my holiday destination with various apps and cards but ended up using my credit card at 2 locations to charge up 1 took £25 for £7.80 worth of charge and the other one took £25 for about the same how do I use them and is there any point in using them? Sorry I really can’t get my head round this plus her indoors is chewing my ear off about £25 being taken for £7.80 any help please?
If the RFID is compatible with the charger network you generally use it in place of your credit card.

I would check you've signed into the corresponding accounts and check that you have updated your payment details.

What RFIDs and Apps are you using and what were the Chargers you tried?

I maybe wrong but do some charging companies hold a £25 fee on your card each time you charge, which is normally paid back within 20-30 days? Could this be SteveP's problem.
Again I'm new to all this so don't shoot me if I've got confused!!!

I maybe wrong but do some charging companies hold a £25 fee on your card each time you charge, which is normally paid back within 20-30 days? Could this be SteveP's problem.
Again I'm new to all this so don't shoot me if I've got confused!!!
Yes, they'll just be on his credit card as pending transactions then they will take the cost of the charge off and the rest will not be taken.

If the RFID is compatible with the charger network you generally use it in place of your credit card.

I would check you've signed into the corresponding accounts and check that you have updated your payment details.

What RFIDs and Apps are you using and what were the Chargers you tried?
I’ve downloaded various ones including Electric Highway now Gridserve but I used my credit card as I wasn’t sure how to pay with the RFID card do I have to preload the RFID with money and then the amount I spend is deducted from the said card? Thanks

I’ve downloaded various ones including Electric Highway now Gridserve but I used my credit card as I wasn’t sure how to pay with the RFID card do I have to preload the RFID with money and then the amount I spend is deducted from the said card? Thanks
It depends on the card. I used Charge Point with InstaVolt and it topped the account up with £20 automatically and used the credit. With ChargePoint I'd already registered my CC details in the account.

With Shell Recharge it just debits the amount used from your Credit Card when you've finished charging. Again, just make sure you've entered payment details in the App.

It depends on the card. I used Charge Point with InstaVolt and it topped the account up with £20 automatically and used the credit. With ChargePoint I'd already registered my CC details in the account.

With Shell Recharge it just debits the amount used from your Credit Card when you've finished charging. Again, just make sure you've entered payment details in the App.
That’s great thanks 😊

Just thought it was a bit steep taking that amount
It's never actually taken, if you do online banking you would see it on your card account as a "Pending transaction", which disappears when they take the charge cost amounts.

It's never actually taken, if you do online banking you would see it on your card account as a "Pending transaction", which disappears when they take the charge cost amounts.
I know that but what I meant was it comes off your available funds until the transaction is processed

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom