Travelling from Dundee to Newcastle

dundee1961

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Good morning My husband and myself are travelling to Newcastle in 3 weeks we normally drive down the A1 . Any recommendations for Rapid charging points to stop at on route down ?
We do normally stop at Dunbar and Berwick, this is our first long journey with out Mg Zs Ev Exclusive .
Thank you in advance Catherine

Good morning My husband and myself are travelling to Newcastle in 3 weeks we normally drive down the A1 . Any recommendations for Rapid charging points to stop at on route down ?
We do normally stop at Dunbar and Berwick, this is our first long journey with out Mg Zs Ev Exclusive .
Not sure which ZS you have - is this the new LR or the 1st gen model? If a LR model, then range is much less of an issue. Edit: Obviously a 1st Gen as it's an Exclusive trim.

If you definitely want a guaranteed charge, then the Wallyford Park & Choose Hub has loads of rapids (8?) but might be a bit too close to Dundee for you. There doesn't look to be a lot of rapids on that part of the A1 with more than one connection - which is a pain if busy. Although if stopping for lunch, a hour or two on a 7kW might be enough to get to destination. Also looks like a nice 6 unit Instavolt just outside Newcastle at Costa Gosforth Rotary

1643975364406.png

Last edited:
I would definitely look for Instavolt or Osprey chargers. Very reliable and contactless payments. Usually sited at pubs or hotel/leisure centres with good amenities.

Not sure which ZS you have - is this the new LR or the 1st gen model? If a LR model, then range is much less of an issue. Edit: Obviously a 1st Gen as it's an Exclusive trim.

If you definitely want a guaranteed charge, then the Wallyford Park & Choose Hub has loads of rapids (8?) but might be a bit too close to Dundee for you. There doesn't look to be a lot of rapids on that part of the A1 with more than one connection - which is a pain if busy. Although if stopping for lunch, a hour or two on a 7kW might be enough to get to destination. Also looks like a nice 6 unit Instavolt just outside Newcastle at Costa Gosforth Rotary

View attachment 6748
Yes the instavolts are there (Newcastle Gosforth)
There are also 7kW pod points at Tesco Kingston Park which again is just off the A1 and a couple of miles south. Slower rates but a retail park there if needed.

You could try the ABRP app (A Better Route Planner), it's a great app and quite accurate for long trips, it shows you the best charging stops needed (time and location) for your trip.

View attachment 6748
Thank you much appreciated :)

I would definitely look for Instavolt or Osprey chargers. Very reliable and contactless payments. Usually sited at pubs or hotel/leisure centres with good amenities.
Thank you much appreicated :) have not used contactless chargers but that sounds fab :)

Yes the instavolts are there (Newcastle Gosforth)
There are also 7kW pod points at Tesco Kingston Park which again is just off the A1 and a couple of miles south. Slower rates but a retail park there if needed.
Thank you much appreciated:)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom