Trophy test drive

Keith Harris

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I drove the Trophy yesterday and loved it (in fact put a deposit down on a white one) I currently have a short range MG5 which we bought last January, the deal on the Trophy is fantastic, basically means we’ve driven the 5 around for a year and it’s not cost anything. The only thing I found a bit disconcerting on the ZS is the steering, seemed to slide about a fair bit , almost caught me out a couple of times, is this normal on the ZS? or is it new tyre syndrome. My 5 seems a lot more sure footed, what do we think please!

I drove the Trophy yesterday and loved it (in fact put a deposit down on a white one) I currently have a short range MG5 which we bought last January, the deal on the Trophy is fantastic, basically means we’ve driven the 5 around for a year and it’s not cost anything. The only thing I found a bit disconcerting on the ZS is the steering, seemed to slide about a fair bit , almost caught me out a couple of times, is this normal on the ZS? or is it new tyre syndrome. My 5 seems a lot more sure footed, what do we think please!
haven't noticed this on my gen1 or on the gen2 I test drove over the weekend, so maybe the tyres need 'running in' ?

is this normal on the ZS? or is it new tyre syndrome. My 5 seems a lot more sure footed, what do we think please!
I just think it may take a little bit of time to get use to it !.
The ZS EV has a much higher ride height and therefore you may feel it feels a little top heavy, compared to the low ride height of the MG5.
I came from a sporty 5 door hatchback that cornered like a go kart.
The softer ride and elevated ride height was a welcome change, but it took a bit of time to get use to !.
I have driven the Gen2 face lift model and it does feel more sure footed than the Gen1 model.
Not sure if there has been changes to the suspension or it’s just sits lower due to the increase weight of the bigger battery.

I just think it may take a little bit of time to get use to it !.
The ZS EV has a much higher ride height and therefore you may feel it feels a little top heavy, compared to the low ride height of the MG5.
I came from a sporty 5 door hatchback that cornered like a go kart.
The softer ride and elevated ride height was a welcome change, but it took a bit of time to get use to !.
I have driven the Gen2 face lift model and it does feel more sure footed than the Gen1 model.
Not sure if there has been changes to the suspension or it’s just sits lower due to the increase weight of the bigger battery.
No doubt it’s that my two previous cars were Honda CR-V and a Mitsubishi Outlander, my money is on new tyres

Sorry, I misunderstood.
I thought you where coming from the MG5 and straight into the ZS EV.
I did not know you had owner other SUV type vehicles.
at first I thought I’d hit an oil patch on the road! Maybe your right over the last 12 months I’ve just got used to the MG5

at first I thought I’d hit an oil patch on the road! Maybe your right over the last 12 months I’ve just got used to the MG5
Other than on motorways or dual carriageways, I always turn off the lane keep assist as I find it makes too many corrections when there are poorly marked out lanes. It gives the impression that the car is wandering

Other than on motorways or dual carriageways, I always turn off the lane keep assist as I find it makes too many corrections when there are poorly marked out lanes. It gives the impression that the car is wandering
Oh I didn’t know the lane assist corrected the car, I thought it only warned you

Thank you Alan that’s fantastic how did I miss that information, I don’t recall seeing it anywhere (sure that’s pilot error tho, or should I say mgpilot error😱😱

Lane Assist System on Gen1 ZS EV has three modes: alert (warning sound and steering wheel vibration), departure assist (applying corrective steering intervention) and lane keeping (maintain the vehicle position in the centre of the lane).

Edit: I think the new ZS EV has only two lane assist modes.

Last edited:
Don't know if anyone else feels the same as me, but after test driving the MG I feel the center console is quite fat and restricts your left leg quite a bit, that and there is no real room between the arm rest and the seat, so you can't have your arm down by your side, it has to be sat on the armrest. Just feels a bit claustrophobic. I'm a midget of a bloke 5' 7" so taller people might find it is more comfortable. I've still ordered the car tho as it is only a minor gripe that I'm sure I will get used to.

Don't know if anyone else feels the same as me, but after test driving the MG I feel the center console is quite fat and restricts your left leg quite a bit, that and there is no real room between the arm rest and the seat, so you can't have your arm down by your side, it has to be sat on the armrest. Just feels a bit claustrophobic. I'm a midget of a bloke 5' 7" so taller people might find it is more comfortable. I've still ordered the car tho as it is only a minor gripe that I'm sure I will get used to.
I found if I lower the seat to much the arm rest is too high, then there is nowhere to put my arm. I'll just get used to the higher position.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom