Twin Front USB Sockets

ajw1100

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
I was advised that the two front USB sockets consist of 1 for Data and 1 for charging. I wanted to insert a micro USB for Music in one and maybe use the second USB for Android Auto.
Skimming through the manual on the PC I noted this:

'There are two USB ports (1 and 2) located at the left side
of 12V front power socket, the USB ports can provide 5V
voltage serving as the power outlet, and can be used for
data transmission.
80'

That gives the impression that both are suitable for Data transfer, is that right? IF so can I use as I want?
Also are these permanent live sockets or off with the ignition off?

Hi
they work when you press the start button no way to tell if powered when is off.

Should have spotted this, it is on the same page (80) :oops:

Extended use of the accessory power socket
and USB socket when the engine is switched
off will cause premature discharging of the
vehicle battery.

I guess it can be checked by plugging in a lead to a phone and see it the phone still shows as charging after turning off the ignition. Mind you a tiny USB drive cannot take much current.

In the infotainment guide is says on page 24:
USB Drive.
When there are two USB Drives inserted you may choose to play music from USB1 or USB 2.

If the left one is for data, maybe phone data, and the other for music ?

USB Drive.
When there are two USB Drives inserted you may choose to play music from USB1 or USB 2.

Good point, never really tried the second usb for music. But the two usb do have different symbols showing. It has always been interpreted anything multimedia related goes into usb 1.

Attachments

• 32848A7B-16E9-483B-AD11-85927B29A327.jpeg
    32848A7B-16E9-483B-AD11-85927B29A327.jpeg
    183.2 KB · Views: 261
On my mg5 i have a usb with music plugged into the right usb permanently, the one on the left has AA Wireless plugged in for my phone.
No drain that i have seen.

Left USB (with SDD card mark on it) is the only where one can connect Android auto. Otherwise, both ports can be use for charging as well as data transfer.

USB Drive.

I have a stubby 128gb USB in the right hand side one permanently and we use the left one for Android auto or Apple car play. In the 12volt/Cigarette lighter I have a double USB plugged in for extra charging if required, usually if we are travelling. Both the front USB's can be used for music just checked.

(y)
I have a stubby 128gb USB in the right hand side one permanently and we use the left one for Android auto or Apple car play. In the 12volt/Cigarette lighter I have a double USB plugged in for extra charging if required, usually if we are travelling. Both the front USB's can be used for music just checked.

:)(y):) That is exactly what I was hoping for, AA on the left and music on the right.

Thanks for the photo sky, I have not seen the actual car USB's so did not know about the icon labels. And I also have a double USB Charge connection for the 12v Gig socket.

Welcome to the forum Timbo, carry on the good posts!!

I've been told my HS is on the water, I just hope they under sealed it properly.....

Useful button, but would prefer the JB ejector seat button in case of hijack by some dastardly henchman of an evil genius with world domination as their goal.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom