Type 2 cable supplied?

keithw64

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Who got a type 2 lead with their car? I was told MG had stopped supplying the type 2 charging cable and I only got the 13A cable with my MG5. Is this correct or was my dealer just ripping me of as they did with the GardX paint protection?

We recently bought (leased) on the Affinity scheme but had to ask for the type 2 cable. The salesman said we only got the Granny Cable but his manager gave us a type 2.

It wasn't included when I bought my Affinity car but I negotiated it in anyway.

I haggled a spare tyre set out of them but couldn’t get a type 2 cable too. I had the choice of which one to get thrown in and felt a cable would be cheaper so went with the spare tyre

I was also wondering about this as I'm due to change my car in June when my lease ends and I couldn't find anywhere that said that the Type 2 cable was included.

Ireland-based. I got my MG5 LR back in Oct 21 and AFAIK Irish cars got both cables.

Never thought about NOT getting a Type 2 cable until this thread but it would be a deal-breaker for me if it wasn't included.

It was when I bought (see above). Dunno now. Also free paint upgrade (i.e. red for nothing) but most importantly a humungous discount (but no cheap HP in England)

You mean "wouldn't" surely Watdub?

£130 extra for a £28k car?
'Deal-breaker' may have been a bit strong but the lack of a Type 2 cable would give me serious pause for thought. Maybe it'd be like buying a TV with no remote or a computer with no mouse. They'll work but it'll drive you mad over the days and weeks.

And I would say the same back at the showroom - risk losing a £28k sale over £130?

Also, if the showroom are going cheap at the pre-sale stage, what else have they left out? What will they be like to deal with afterwards?

'Deal-breaker' may have been a bit strong but the lack of a Type 2 cable would give me serious pause for thought. Maybe it'd be like buying a TV with no remote or a computer with no mouse. They'll work but it'll drive you mad over the days and weeks.

And I would say the same back at the showroom - risk losing a £28k sale over £130?

Also, if the showroom are going cheap at the pre-sale stage, what else have they left out? What will they be like to deal with afterwards?
My thoughts exactly which is one of the many reasons I am very unhappy with the service I received from Richmond MG in Southampton. Shabby sales tactics, badly trained staff and poor after sales service and product knowledge is all I have had so far from them (just to warn anyone else thinking of using them). Love the car itself but I won't be using this particular dealer when I need to change the car again.

I think margins are not what they once were on cars at this end of the market due to our obsession with getting everything cheaper and cheaper - and maybe companies trying to always be maximising "value to shareholders". I think this is true of many goods these days. Look at the cost of white goods and TVs - mostly cheaper than they were many years ago!

That gives them less scope for goodies - and to be fair if their product is popular enough (which I believe this car is) why would they need to offer incentives when people are queueing at the door to buy?

OTOH it is well known the Brits expect a bit of something to smooth the way so maybe they should just price that in.

The secret to making a good deal is making sure everyone walks away thinking they've won!

Who got a type 2 lead with their car? I was told MG had stopped supplying the type 2 charging cable and I only got the 13A cable with my MG5. Is this correct or was my dealer just ripping me of as they did with the GardX paint protection?
MG have never supplied type 2 cables with the car. Only on infinity or if you haggle with dealer. Granny charger comes as standard.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom