type 2 cable

john w

Established Member
Reaction score
1 brought a type two cable for when im on a journey and i come across untethered chargers.
my question is what home charger should i get thats untethered bearing in mind i already have the cable

I went for Zappi but I have solar panels so it is very good for that. You can get untethered or tethered versions

1 brought a type two cable for when im on a journey and i come across untethered chargers.
my question is what home charger should i get thats untethered bearing in mind i already have the cable
EO Mini Pro 2 untethered and Black for me. Small discreet, uncomplicated, choice of colours, simple app, tethered or untethered, some extra options for Solar, can have a Garo earthing device as well to save having an earth rod (I had the earth rod as the installer said that's fine and cheaper) Customer service excellent. I wanted the charger fitted on the garages away from the house so I did need a WiFi booster for the distance away from the router so bought a used TP extender on ebay £7.50
No issues and timed charging. I seen EO mini pro 2 for £354 + vat buy only. I paid around £600 fitted inc its own consumer box and some change of tails needed but others have paid a lot more for fitting from some suppliers. You need to acount for any changes that maybe required to your electrical supply as you can read on this site
Good luck whatever you choose.

Attachments

• 20201101_112621.jpg
    20201101_112621.jpg
    547.5 KB · Views: 180
  • 20201101_112835.jpg
    20201101_112835.jpg
    769.9 KB · Views: 193
  • 20210131_004208.jpg
    20210131_004208.jpg
    595.4 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
A chum of mine was talking about a mate of his, who is involved with EV research, especially charging and extreme high rate charging in particular.
There's a problem at stupendously high rates with keeping the charging lead light enough to actually handle.
One way they are addressing this is to use a relatively lightweight but water cooled charging cable.
Whether it'll take off or not, I don't know.

A chum of mine was talking about a mate of his, who is involved with EV research, especially charging and extreme high rate charging in particular.
There's a problem at stupendously high rates with keeping the charging lead light enough to actually handle.
One way they are addressing this is to use a relatively lightweight but water cooled charging cable.
Whether it'll take off or not, I don't know.
Oh, I bet MilesperkWh will have one to go with that Hose Reel he showed us on last Monday's pod cast. 🚿

I have a rolec tethered as didn’t want to faff about with the cable in and out of the car each time I charge. Cost just short of £600 as it was I bit more work as the consumer unit is in the middle of the house.

not a bad price but how long is the cable

You can add a longer cable - I did to my Rolec charger (well, the supplier did it). Standard was 5m but I now have a 10m cable so I can charge without faffing about moving vehicles around.

Around the same length as John W's.......also position was important as we drive the car "in" rather than reverse, obviously having a front socket it helps a lot if you get it right from the start. For the extra £50 or so for tethered I think it makes sense in the long run rather than faffing about with the cable in/out of the car. I imagined unplugging at home, leaving it on the drive, then driving off without it!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom