Type 2 cables... stock?

thedomg

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Picked up our 5LR Exclusive last week. Bought through Affinity, ordered Oct 16th.

Our dealer (Bath MG) told us Type 2 cables were included in the Affinity scheme, but that they had no stock. Anyone else experienced this? Anyone have any idea when stock might trickle through? Charging on the granny doesn't seem a good long-term option... wondering about spending some on one of these from EV OneStop (we got our Leaf cable from there, 10m one, useful!).

I have the type 2 cable for emergency use. But surely most of the 3rd party charging stations have tethered cable? If you have a home charger I take it hat this also does not have a tethered cable?

I have the type 2 cable for emergency use. But surely most of the 3rd party charging stations have tethered cable? If you have a home charger I take it hat this also does not have a tethered cable?
We deliberately went for a non-tethered charger when we got our Leaf (Gen2), with the idea that it'd give us more flexibility longer term, the premise being that if we bought another EV (lo and behold!) then we'd just have a cable with each vehicle. Otherwise we'd have ended up with a Type1 tethered cable, not really future-proof!

I would rather charge at home than pay public charging rates (and for convenience!). Also prefer not to rapid charge where possible for apparent battery degradation / balancing purposes.
Other dealers have stock of the MG cable.
I guess silly question on my part. Didn't know if there was a nationwide shortage; either way Bath MG will "get it when they get it" I suppose.

DC rapids are tethered but many fast ones need a type 2 cable

Last edited:
But surely most of the 3rd party charging stations have tethered cable? If you have a home charger I take it hat this also does not have a tethered cable?
Only Rapids are tethered as far as I have seen, other than home chargers never seen a fast 7kW out and about that was.

I collected my car on Friday from Bulldog Twyford and they didn't have the cable either. Luckily I already have one :)

Future Rapid chargers are less likely to come with a tethered cable, cost cutting etc.

/edit - A/C cables I mean.

Last edited:
Sorry misread it I thought rapids were DC.
They are, both dc and ac. Many will put out 43kw on ac but that's more than most cars can take so they're cutting it down to 22kw on new ones. Again cost saving.

I haven't seen a rapid with an untethered AC fast connection cable but they could go that way just for the type 2 bit.

Rapids (DC) will always be tethered, the cable is very thick and heavy to handle the power. Rapid charger boxes do also usually have an AC outlet (type 2) which is not rapid and has never had a tethered cable.
Usually there are 2 tethered cables on a Rapid, CCS and Chademo, or some of the new Gridserve multi-bank ones are 2 CCS.

Chademo will eventually fade away, a bit like betamax, it's too expensive and complicated to make which is why ccs was invented in the first place.
Re A/C cables, they are banking on you having a type 2 cable in the car anyway so why provide one? Also passing the cost of buying one on to you.

Yes but my dealer assures me (discussed it today with the MG sales manager) that MG would in all likelihood, as its a back order problem, allow the dealer to reimbues the "freebie" cost particularly if that was spent on other products. MG would then reimburse them. Free yes but its paid for by MG they don't get it free so has a cost/value included in the Affinity products.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom