Type 2 charging cables. Recommendations?

charic

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hey all,

Making the jump over to EV tomorrow and getting swamped with all the learning. Although I'm probably overthinking a great deal.

Just found out my 2nd hand mg5 isn't coming with a type 2 cable. I've seen the prices vary wildly and wondered if there are brands to avoid or brands that warrant a few extra quid.

From what I understand I'm looking for a 7kw 32a cable. Preferably 10m as we have non evs taking up spaces occasionally at the local supermarket

Hey all,

Making the jump over to EV tomorrow and getting swamped with all the learning. Although I'm probably overthinking a great deal.

Just found out my 2nd hand mg5 isn't coming with a type 2 cable. I've seen the prices vary wildly and wondered if there are brands to avoid or brands that warrant a few extra quid.

From what I understand I'm looking for a 7kw 32a cable. Preferably 10m as we have non evs taking up spaces occasionally at the local supermarket
Wonderful choice. Welcome to the MG experience. Just drive and enjoy 👌
Your cable choice sounds correct although ours is just the 5 m type.

The car was probably originally sold with just the MG 'granny' charger so check how 'used' that is. You can get all sorts of type 2 cables but it sounds like you know what you are looking for.
Enjoy the car, is it an SR?

The car was probably originally sold with just the MG 'granny' charger so check how 'used' that is. You can get all sorts of type 2 cables but it sounds like you know what you are looking for.
Enjoy the car, is it an SR?
Yes indeed, always worth having granny ride shotgun (and maybe a decent extension) Good for peace of mind.

Yeah it comes with a granny cable which given the car (SR) has only done 6k I expect is perfectly fine.

That said, there's a free charging point 2min from my house which is why I'm asking about type 2 cables.

Is there any recommendations on brand or supplier? I don't want to buy tat but at the same time I don't want to pay over the odds

I use an EV one stop cable...

That's a 10m cable but they also do 5m and it's currently cheaper to buy through eBay with an offer they have on with code TENOFF3.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

That's a 10m cable but they also do 5m and it's currently cheaper to buy through eBay with an offer they have on with code TENOFF3.
Aye that sounds like a fine cable. Mines was supplied with the car by the dealer and I think it’s that very make.
I have always carried mine under the bonnet to save time hooking up and save rummaging around under stuff in the boot to get it. It’s out of the way, dry and instantly available right beside the charge flap.
407F508D-F479-48F5-90B0-55288C86DB81.jpeg

I no longer use the bungee as the cable never moves.

Brilliant thanks, this was one of the cables on my shortlist!

Tried the voucher code on ebay but no joy. That said it looks cheaper through their store :)

The other brand that keeps cropping up is EVKING :)

Hey all,

Just google what you want, loads of suppliers all as good as each other.
10m will cost a fair bit more than a 5m cable.

Just google what you want, loads of suppliers all as good as each other.
10m will cost a fair bit more than a 5m cable.
And remember it’s twice as much stiff, dirty, wet snake to wrestle with to coil up and stow away on a wild wet freezing night in a pitch dark car park - and maybe in your good suit 😱😱
It’ll be fun most other times though 🤣🤣

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom