Type 2 tethered cable swap

zatras9911

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I just bought the MG5LR and my zappi v1 charger is fitted with the Type 1 plug. I am going to buy a Type 2 plug cable and swap the cables.

Did anyone here swap these cables? What type 2 cable can you recommend?

I've no idea what your ability is with regards doing this but wouldn't it be easier and cheaper just to buy an adaptor? (less than £80 on amazon)

It is easy to do and I know how, just wondering if anyone has got any brand/website to recommend where I can buy the cable and if there are any compatibility issues or problems.

I just bought the MG5LR and my zappi v1 charger is fitted with the Type 1 plug. I am going to buy a Type 2 plug cable and swap the cables.

Did anyone here swap these cables? What type 2 cable can you recommend?
I replaced the tethered lead that was looking a bit twisted, with a slightly longer cable from these people.
I have the older type Rolec “Dumb” wall box, but I think cable wise, they are pretty much standard fair.
A quick Google search will throw up a number of different stockists.
Most cables are about 5 metres so I increased mine to 7.5 metres for an extra £25 I think it was ?.
A bit of future proofing just in case a get an EV with a charging port at the rear of the car.
They do sell adaptors as well if you go down that route.
I replaced the cable in about 20 mins after carrying out the safe isolation process.

Have you approached mienergy to see if they will sell you the OEM cable?

The cheaper aftermarket alternatives I've seen don't use moulded plugs so have a lower IP rating and generally tend to be less robust than OEM.

We have purchased our cables from EV Cables on Line as they offered a five year warranty
as we have two EVs do get some use.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom