Type2 port socket cap / lid

GrayCat

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Printed a "cap" for the body of the Type2 / Mennekes charging socket. The outer lid is not "sealed" at all, so need to protect the pins from dust, water drops and moisture fog.
Type2_Cap_1.JPGType2_Cap_2.JPGType2_Cap_3.JPGType2_Cap_4.JPGType2_Cap_Car_1.JPGType2_Cap_Car_2.JPGType2_Cap_Car_3.JPG

I really must remember to look at links before clicking them ... AliExpress always overwrites cookies based on the last geographic site visited, so it you later visit the .com site then you always get the last language site visited and not the English language site. 😡

I don't see the point.
There's a gasket around the inside of the charge flap that's proof against power washing, let alone rain & fog. When the flap is open, there's a Type-2 plug blocking the hole.
(Circled in yellow below. It goes all the way round the flap.)
flap.jpeg

Last edited:
What type of printing did you use? Is that resin or FDM? Would you be willing to share the STL file?
Simple FDM printer. The part in my photos is a "First iteraion", printed in "ABS Flex". Now I have an updated design, will print it in "Elastan" (~~TPU) a bit later.

As for STL file: when I'm pleased with its quality and features, I'll share it here.

I don't see the point.
Well, this additional cap may be not needed in your country, with clean highways and without "seas" of salt water on the roads. In the places where I come from, we have very often literally "Mist" in the air consisting of MUD and DIRT. It tends to infiltrate in any tiny hole or crack. As the life shows, the inner details of an EV-charge port get dirty after ~~2 years here.

On the other hand, being an electrical / electronix enineer, I know too much what the water does to the contacts with 400 V and 32 A on them... So, I'll try my best to avoid damage to the current-bearing parts.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom