Tyre pressures

bryer

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hey folks,

Just curious if there is a way to change the MK2 onboard computer to display tyre pressures in psi instead of bar?

Thanks.

It can be done, it's in the settings somewhere.
That's really helpful. I've been through the whole infotainment system and can't find it anywhere....... if you could possibly take a look and give me a clue as to where to look I'd appreciate it.

Ok so I can't find it either on my EV however I rented a petrol ZS for a week before I bought my EV and I'm 100% sure I changed it on there. The MK2 EV has a different (and much better) infotainment system to the petrol version however it appears the ability to switch between bar and psi has been left out for whatever reason.

Ok so I can't find it either on my EV however I rented a petrol ZS for a week before I bought my EV and I'm 100% sure I changed it on there. The MK2 EV has a different (and much better) infotainment system to the petrol version however it appears the ability to switch between bar and psi has been left out for whatever reason.
Yep! It's one of those changes with an ODB2 Carley I'd imagine, or ask the dealership. Will keep digging.

If I remember correctly, the recommended tyre pressure of 41 PSI is extremely close to 2.8 BAR.
As a rough guide 1 BAR equates to about 15 PSI in old money 🤣 .
The ISmart App reads in the tyre pressures in the BAR scale as well, but these reported figures tends to fluctuate around a fair bit.

ZS EV Gen 2 Tyre Pressures  2023-08-24 at 19.51.32.png

Last edited:
I've got mine at 3.1 bar at the moment, seems to be a better ride to be honest!
3.1 BAR is pretty close to 45 PSI in old money.
That’s about 4lb PSI over inflated ( in each tyre ) over the makers / manufacturers recommended tyre pressures here I guess
Okay(ish) for the general economy, but not so effective in foot braking when driving in very wet conditions.
Also, when the tyres are overinflated, the centre section of the tyre is very prone to wearing prematurely.

Last edited:
I've got mine at 3.1 bar at the moment, seems to be a better ride to be honest!
Please read page 315 of the manual. It refers to towing, but the danger warning may apply to non-towing vehicles too! "do not allow the pressure to exceed 3.0 bar, this can be dangerous"

Please read page 315 of the manual. It refers to towing, but the danger warning may apply to non-towing vehicles too! "do not allow the pressure to exceed 3.0 bar, this can be dangerous"
Heaven forbid I live dangerously. I'm an advanced driver trained, but if it makes you happy I've got the tyres at 2.9bar now.

Getting a good 4.5 miles per k/wh in combined driving. Happy days!

Heaven forbid I live dangerously. I'm an advanced driver trained, but if it makes you happy I've got the tyres at 2.9bar now.

Getting a good 4.5 miles per k/wh in combined driving. Happy days!
Well done, do as you are told or you will go to bed with no supper lol

Running at 2.9 Bar over the recommended 2.8 Bar is likely to make very little difference TBH.
This is not massively over inflated, in fact you could have set the pressure to 2.8 Bar and then that thing they call "The Sun" makes a brief appearance.
The pressures in the tyres facing the sun, will have likely increased to 2.9 Bar anyway !.
It is not unusual for manufactures to increase tyre pressure a lot when carrying out efficiency / MPG testing and EV's also I guess 🤣 .
Of course, this practice is not suitable / safe for general road use, as it makes the ride extremely hard and both the traction and braking efficiency will be compromised as the full width of the tread pattern is not in full contact with the road.
Wheel spin is more evident in FWD cars and rain water is not displaced as well also.
Of course this is in extreme cases.

This screen shot has been taken from the Bridgestone web site.

Overinflated tyres

When it comes to tyres and air, there’s also the ‘too much of a good thing’ factor. In overinflated tyres, the sidewalls and tread become harder than normal and the contact patch of the tyre on the road shrinks. This change in footprint can reduce traction and performance, giving you a bouncy ride and affecting the handling of the car. Over-inflation will also cause uneven wear thereby decreasing the life of your tyres.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom