Tyre rotation.

Paulj

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Having just had my car serviced, I asked if they could swap the tyres back to front to even out the wear, sadly, I discovered it was not going to be so easy because of the pressure sensors built into the valves. Not a problem I have encountered previously because the computer has counted wheel revs. but now each sensor is linked to the computer, which will then give the wrong info. if the sensor goes back into the wrong location.

It seems the only way to overcome this is if the tyres are removed and remounted on the approprate rim, or else the valves are moved, amounting to the same amount of work. The cost for this work is liable to be between £50 - £150 depending where the work is done.

Has anyone else found a way around this, or, just swapped wheels anyway, if so what are the results?

you can also have the tps read in again in your on-board computer.
that's the cheapest way
5 minutes work for the dealer

Just move the wheels if that's what you want to do.
As long as you know which is which it doesn't matter what the car thinks because it's still doing the important job of monitoring pressure.

Pecari, my first question to the dealer, however he quoted me an hours work, not 5 minutes, because of the ideosynchracies of the (Chinese?) software!

Alb, just what I will do, however I thought it prudent to put the question here first.

thanks both.

That's probably because they removed each tyre and remounted it on the appropriate rim? Ask them when next in.

I swapped mine, PS rear to PS front and DS rear to DS front ... tyres have lasted 20k so far and will probably do another 10k (y)
(PS - Passenger Side, DS - Driver's side)

Couple of options, when the wheels are rotated, they will be done in a front to back fashion.
Therefore N/S/F becomes N/S/R and so on.
As long as you remember this when looking at the TPMS ( if you have an issue with pressures etc ) then you’re sorted !.
Or you get the dealer to recoded the settings.
Not sure about MG but the VAG Group suggest rotation every 5 - 6 thousands miles.
If this was similar on the MG then the wheels would likely end up on the original location before needing new tyres 🤣.

I have just rotated my tyres and yes you are right the front tyres now show on the rear of the car. Is there no way of me manually resetting the position of each tyre on the cars screen?

If it’s a Gen1 ZS EV then it will need the sensors recoding to their new location, as they are unable to relearn themselves.
Our you will just have to remember they are back to front if you receive a warning message from the TPMS.
The Gen2 model has the ability to relearn itself I believe.

Last edited:
Thanks it’s a Gen 2 zsEv. I will keep an eye on it. Thanks
Have you driven the car any distance, after you conducted the tyre rotation ?.
Check out the NOTE section of this snap shot from the owners manual.
This is the relearning process.

TPMS Reset 2023-10-14 at 18.58.09.png

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom